Organ accompaniment for responses at EF Missa Cantata
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I found these the other day at the back of the invaluable Kyriale accompaniments by Feliks Rackowski available here on Jeff Ostrowski's website. I prefer them over other accompaniments I've seen of the responses. I know this is very basic stuff, but it's not always easy to find exactly the right model for the harmonization. Our celebrant really liked these last Sunday when I introduced them for the first time.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • Julie,

Very interesting .....but why on earth would one accompany the responses?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    The French traditionalists do it, which is where I first heard it and thought it was quite thrilling. While it's not required by any means, I believe it encourages participation by highlighting the people's parts and provides a consistent thread with the accompaniment of the ordinary.

For example, we sang Mass VII, Missa Rex Splendens, on Sunday cum organo and our celebrant sang the Gloria incipit and the Ite Missa Est perfectly. This, combined with the accompanied responses were like a gorgeous, golden thread of accompanied chant woven throughout the Mass. We sing the propers unaccompanied, of course, so that presents some needed contrast.

Anyway, that's how it seems to me. : )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJlF2bfcu8E

(See the responses after the Asperges in the video at 6:18)

Accompanied Preface dialogue begins at 6:48 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA5BCu2N19I
    Thanked by 1Steve Collins
  • Julie,

Thank you for such a measured and thoughtful response. I confess that it has never occurred to me to accompany the dialogues. Knowing that French traditionalists do this makes me curious as to how the practice developed.

I know that English choirs often have organ underlay, and everyone takes it as normal, but that I barely have time to change manuals (when I had manual to change, but more on that another time) between double bars in the ordinaries because everyone is going at such a breakneck pace.

• Liam
    My understanding, from Theodore Marier's practice in this regard, was that the organ thus used served as an aural cue that this was a congregational singing moment (as opposed to a singing moment for the choir alone)
    Thanked by 1Steve Collins
  • I would say, if it is not needed, then don't. Although, it could make an extra Solemn occasion a bit more "special". If it would help the congregation to join in on their parts, I would do it in a heartbeat.

The main problem is getting the Celebrant on the same page, i.e. on the right key. Just blasting away as written when it's not in the same key makes a mockery of the whole idea!

Our Latin Mass congregation has no problem either Ferial of Solemn "Pater noster", so it's never accompanied. Likewise the "Sursum corda". We only chant the "Our Father" during Advent and we do accompany these English Mass congregations since they actually do need it.

We stopped using multiple "Amen" arrangements years ago for the Great Amen. But the congregations still respond better given a note in octaves on the organ. The only trick is finding the Celebrant's note!
  • CCoozeCCooze
    That pontifical Mass in Poland by Raymond Cdnl Burke had accompanied responses. I remember being amazed that the accompanied response was always matching his part (without an organ cue for his note), and I was curious as to how this was so wonderfully managed.
  • As has Julie, I have heard this done (via youtube) at Notre Dame, Paris, at the Sistine Chapel, and get the impression that it's rather common in Europe. They are not just 'accompanied' but are played with full organ, meaning reeds and all. Needless to say, it is a ghastly sound which is in incredibly poor taste. I'm always amazed at some of the things that Europeans do. After all, they are supposed to be cultural exemplars. Too often, they aren't.
    Thanked by 1dad29
  • SalieriSalieri
    always matching his part (without an organ cue for his note), and I was curious as to how this was so wonderfully managed.

If the organist has perfect pitch, or good relative pitch and a tuning fork, it isn't too difficult--unless the celebrant in question is one of those rare proteges of Cage who sings directly on the quarter-tone between g# and a.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I remember mentioning the assumption that the organist might have perfect pitch. I suppose it's possible that the cardinal might, as well.
    Thanked by 1MarkS
  • Protasius
    I grew up with accompanied responses here in Germany; however not with reeds and mixtures, but in the way you accompany hymns (flutes and principals). It has become less customary in recent years. The problem of matching pitch is obviated if you briefly intone (e.g. g a g f g for the beginning of the preface in German).
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I know of one Episcopal parish where the choir sings a harmonization (unaccompanied) for the dialogs at the beginning of the Eucharistic Prayer. It is quite lovely.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • I'm interested in M. Jackson's original thoughts (were they regarding Adam's statement).
  • Moderntrad,

Anglicans sing their way through the phone book in 4-part harmony, occasionally subdividing the parts as required. [speaking as a former Anglican].

• Definitely - having worked for various parishes in TEC, we used to do it as well. I wonder whether M. Jackson had any further insight about it.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I remember mentioning the assumption that the organist might have perfect pitch. I suppose it's possible that the cardinal might, as well.

Our organist does, but it's my considered experience that tonally -challenged celebrants inevitably and often vocally reside in the quarter-tone cracks between semi-tones; maddening. I deal with one (not of our parish) who manages to change key at least three times within a single, sentence oration.
  • Sonic mess. Agreed, Melo.
    Responses are meant to be natural... responses. How jarring it is to hear a fanfare din when a simple response is expected. It's out of proportion.

Don't get me wrong- I like a lot of things about the French liturgical customs and I'm very grateful for all their work in the area of chant restoration. Still, it seems like accompanying the responses is eccentric. Not that I advocate outlawing it or anything, I just find it jarring for the flow of prayer.
    Thanked by 2CCooze CHGiffen
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Agreed, MaryAnn.
    It also seems silly to hear cues given to priests for things with such simple responses.
  • I think Charles has a point. Unless your priest is tuned to the same system as your organ, having perfect pitch does no one any good. Matching pitch with the voice isn't nearly as hard as altering the tuning system of the organ, on the fly. (The funny video hereabouts in which an accompanist changes keys multiple times notwithstanding).
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    It's rather amusing, but my son and I have verified (very quietly with his tuner) multiple times that one of our priests invariably sings his part on A, the other celebrant on G and the third on F.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • MatthewRoth
    As far as responses go, my rector sings the correct conclusion to the solemn tone collect from the Liber Usualis, but the choral/congregational response is the one prescribed for the responses after the Secret and Per Ipsum. So, whether one accompanies or not depends on how thoroughly trained the priest was…