From Breviary to Liturgy of the Hours
  • I would like to know more about how the Breviarium Romanum became the Liturgia Horarum. It seems like this is quite well explained in the book From Breviary to Liturgy of the Hours by Stanislaus Campbell, but unfortunately it serms to be out of print and is therefore extremely difficult and expensive to get nowadays. Is there any way to get this book for a reasonable price, say at least below $60? Or is there any other book or article in English (or French) that explains the reasons behind the changes made to the breviary? Or maybe someone here knows how to answer some of my questions:

Why was the psalmody spread out over 4 weeks, rather than 2 or 3? Why was the number of psalm (parts) decreased to 3 in lauds and vespers rather than 4, like it has always been in Benedictine vespers, for instance? As it is now, sung vespers is over in 20 minutes, which often seems to short for a celebration in common.

What were the main arguments for changing the position of the hymn to the beginning of lauds and vespers? (I like it how it is now, by the way).

Why hasn't an official 2 year cycle of patristic readings and responsories to the office of readings been made, even though the introduction speaks about it? I know it was to much to fit in the original breviary volumes, but why not a separate release with the readings only, like the introduction describes (and which many monasteries have produced themselves)?

What other changes was most widely discussed?
  • They are working on the readings for the new English translation.

I assume that the change to the hymn at major hours was to make all the hours alike, although I cannot recall the placement of the hymn at Compline.
  • I got my copy of the book at Half Price Books for $10. I'd check those out if possible. Alas, my work schedule has prevented my reading it, so I can't answer your many questions, though I do recall reading somewhere the desire for uniformity of the hours is what prompted the moving of the hymn.
  • Liam
    Two things you can read for free if you have not already read are the General Instruction to the Liturgy of The Hours (http://www.liturgyoffice.org.uk/Resources/Rites/GILH.pdf), which is not merely rubrical but also contains a great deal of exposition and explanation of the thinking governing the new office, and the Apostolic Constitution promulgating the new office (http://www.catholic-resources.org/LoH/LiturgyOfTheHours-ApostolicConstitution.pdf)
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • eft94530eft94530
    The vatican.va website is missing these documents.
    Any ideas why?
  • Liam
    The Vatican website misses a lot of documents from the pre-electronic era. The Vatican has never treated it as a comprehensive public archive. And never bet on translations to a given language. Ritual books are not generally available and General Instructions are part of ritual books, so ordinarily I wouldn't expect to find them there.

The AC is available - just not in English.

http://w2.vatican.va/content/paul-vi/la/apost_constitutions/documents/hf_p-vi_apc_19701101_laudis-canticum.html
  • Check out the relevant chapters in this book: The Bugnini Liturgy and the Reform of the Reform, by Laszlo Dobszay.
    Thanked by 2eft94530 GerardH
  • Google Play has an ebook available of the Campbell text for $15.

• ghmus7
    Ditto on the Dobszay book. Has many eye-opening points.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Also good material from DiPippo on NLM.
    Thanked by 1eft94530