Notable South Bend area parish?
  • Reval
    I'll be briefly passing through the South Bend IN area on a Sunday morning in a couple of weeks. Does anyone recommend a parish for good music, architecture, etc?

Thanks for any suggestions!
  • You can't go wrong with the Basilica of the Sacred Heart at Notre Dame. 10:00 Mass.
  • The Fraternity just got a new parish there in South Bend - St. Stanislas. Nice old Polish style building. Msgr. Fritz is the pastor there, and he is excellent. Mrs. Chabot directs the choir; she's doing amazing work with what is essentially a young adult choir. Check it out.
  • Reval
    Thank you both for the suggestions! Notre Dame seemed obvious (kind of), but I didn't know which would be the best Mass. EF at St. Stanislaus sounds tempting too. I'll have to see which location / time works out best.
    Thanks again - - the forum always comes through!
  • I've been to both (ND many times, EF once just before it moved to St. Stan's last year, but same congregation). EF is the better Mass IMO. There is also an EF Mass on campus at 9:00 a.m. in one of the dorm chapels. My son assists at this one. If you're interested, I can get you more information (can't remember the details at the moment).
  • Just talked with my son today . . . the EF Mass is in the chapel of Alumni Hall at 9 a.m. The school year has just started and the priest who offers the EF Mass was ill today so the group went over to St. Stan's this morning. However, from here on out through the school year, you will be able to assist at the EF Mass in Alumni Hall. It's a beautiful chapel, with a small group of faithful students assisting. Say hello to my dear William if you make it there! (He's serving as sacristan for this semester.)

Also, re music, they do have a student schola that sings the Mass. (My sons sings in that as well.)
    Thanked by 2Reval sjudge
  • sjudge
    St. Stans has Low Mass with no music at 7:30 and Sung Mass at 10:00, typically with chant ordinary and propers, and motets during Offertory and Communion. Stick around for coffee/donuts and brunch afterwards if you have time.

teachermom24, if you haven't visited us at St. Stan's yet, you should. Msgr. Fritz is doing a wonderful job, and the congregation has grown substantially in the last year. We're celebrating one year at St. Stan's on the Nativity of the BVM (Sept. 8) with (I believe) a Sung Mass at 7 pm.
  • teachermom - what time is the EF mass at Notre Dame?

sjudge - Is Mrs. Chabot still directing the choir there? If so, tell her the gentleman from middle Indiana who sang for her son's wedding sends his regards. She'll know who you mean. ;)
    Thanked by 1sjudge
  • teachermom24, if you haven't visited us at St. Stan's yet, you should. Msgr. Fritz is doing a wonderful job, and the congregation has grown substantially in the last year.

How I would LOVE to assist at Mass at St. Stan's every Sunday! Alas, we live in northwest TN, a long drive from South Bend. I do hope we can get up there some time during this school year and will most definitely stop in at St. Stan's.

EF Mass at ND is 9 a.m. Sundays in the Alumni Hall chapel (because they are not allowed to have Mass the same time as the basilica).
    Thanked by 1sjudge
  • Stimson - Mrs. Chabot is indeed still directing the choir, and I will pass on your regards. Speaking of middle Indiana, we have a family camping trip planned to Shades State Park. Are you familiar with that territory? It looks like St. Bernard's in Crawfordsville is the nearest parish, and other options are ~30 miles or more. Anything worth the longer drive?
  • If you're into SSPX, there's La Salette Boys Academy in Georgetown, IL. (I think since the boys are back from break, they should have Sung Masses.) Really though, you should check out Annunciation in Brazil, IN. Excellent music program, headed by our very own Mr. Edward Atkinson, and the priest there, Fr. John Hollowell, is outstanding. He's like an Orthodox Yul Brynner. His website is http://on-this-rock.blogspot.com/
    Thanked by 1sjudge