"Praeter" question
  • I'd like opinions on a question that came up recently. Eighth Sunday after Pentecost communion verses per "versus psalmorum et canticorum" specify "Ad Communionem, Psalmus 33, III, 14, praeter V. 8."

The question is the interpretation of "praeter V. 8." Verse 8 is the same text as that of the communion antiphon itself. The word "praeter" has various meanings, including "except" and "beyond." One interpretation is to sing verse 8 followed by following verses 9, 10, 11 and so on. Another interpretation is to sing only beyond verse 8; i.e., verses 9, 10, 11, etc., without singing verse 8 in order to avoid repeating the antiphon text. Yet another is to sing all verses except vs. 8. What is the best interpretation?
  • It seems to me (though I may be wrong) that, since v. 8 is the antiphon, one should sing all the indicated vv., omitting v. 8. That, I think, is the clear import of praeter.

It may, in addition, in light of the fact that, often, the responsory of our responsorial psalmody will also be found in the ensuing cantorial verses, that in this case such duplication is purposefully disallowed.
  • rarty
    It means simply "Psalm 33, excepting verse 8". In the same book it actually follows the same rule for other days, but doesn't exactly point it out. And for some precedence, think of the Communion Lux Aeterna from the Requiem:

Ant. Lux aeterna luceat eis Domine: * Cum sanctis tuis in aeternum, quia pius es.
    V. Requiem aeternam dona eis Domine et lux perpetua luceat eis.
    Ant. * Cum sanctis tuis in aeternum, quia pius es.

Part of the verse is repeated—in sense if not verbatim—in the antiphon, and so it is written in the Gradual so as to skip past the duplication when repeated. (Though there might be other reasons for this particular peculiarity in the Gradual... I don't know.)
  • Evidence in support of "except" and "apart from" appears in the Offertory for the 8th Sunday after Pentecost: "Quoniam quis Deus praeter te, Domine". (For Who is God, except Thee, o Lord). It can't mean, in this context, "starting at"; or "starting after". I don't insist that this is conclusive proof, but it certainly does lend credence to the idea of omitting Verse 8, and singing the other verses, 1- 7 and 9 - 33, time permitting.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    There's a similar ambiguity with "beside/besides". The line from Populum humilem is from (depending on how you count) Ps. 17:32.

As to choosing between the common-sense options b & c, "1. I will alway give thanks unto the Lord: his praise shall ever be in my mouth." or "9. O fear the Lord, ye that are his saints: for they that fear him lack nothing", I always let myself be guided by taste ;-)
  • incantuincantu
    I remember learning this word in high school Latin with the Beatles-related example "Habent omnes abdenda praeter me ac simiam meam."
    Thanked by 1gregp
  • Spem in alium nunquan habui.... praeter in te...
    Thanked by 1Aristotle Esguerra