Springfield MO Mass?
  • TeresaH
    Can anyone recommend a parish in Springfield, MO? Going there later this month and would love a beautifully prayed Mass.
  • Springfield is where I was born. A beautiful little city in the heart of the beautiful Ozark Mountains. I was baptised at Christ Church, of which two sets of my great-grandparents were original members in the 1850's.

There is a beautiful old Catholic church near downtown, about eight or ten blocks south of the square. I vaguely remember it as a sort of domed beaux arts structure complete with pillars and pediment, very lovely. I wouldn't know what the liturgy is like. It was near my great aunt Eliza's house.

I was attending Drury College in Springfield at the time the council was called. A classmate was Catholic, and some of us asked him one day if he thought that the mass would be allowed in English. He replied, shaking his head - 'Oh, not in my lifetime!'

I did some internet searching. The church of which I was speaking is now St Agnes Cathedral. It does not seem to me that the liturgy there would be out of the ordinary. There are a number of other Catholic churches in Springfield.
    Thanked by 1TeresaH
  • AndreaLeal
    I think St. Agnes celebrates the Extraordinary Form as well as NO.
    Thanked by 1TeresaH
  • TeresaH
    masstimes.org listed an EF but the St. Agnes website only listed OF Masses. One of the churches listed a Life Teen Mass on every other Sunday at 11:00. Not sure what to think of that.