The M.H. Trinity in Your Parish -
  • At St Basil's Chapel, UST, Houston
    Vigil of the M.H. Trinity

Novus Ordo - English

Sung by St Basil's Schola Cantorum
    Celebrant - Fr Charles Hough IV, Rector, the Cathedral of Our Lady of Walsingham.

Totally sung, including little things like orate fratres and ecce agnus dei-Dominum non sum dignus
    The Psalm Responsory had each verse with its own developed chant melody by MJO, thus mirroring what the Gradaul Responsory was originally, before it was truncated to the familiar responsory and one verse. The congregation's responsory itself was based loosely on the opening portion of the Gregorian gradual responsory in the LU.

Organ Voluntary - From Gloria: Messe pour les paroisses - - - F. Couperin
    1. Plein jeu, 2. Trio a 2 dessus de Chromhorne..., 3. Dialogue sur les trompettes...

Introit - Benedicta sit - - - Mode VIII, adapt., Palmer-Burgess
    Confiteor - - - Recto tono
    Kyrie - Orbis factor - - - Mode I, with Ison
    Gloria - The Ambrosian Gloria - - - Mode IV, adapt., C. Kelly, O.S.B.

The First Reading - Dominus possedit me - - - Tone for the Prophecy
    Psalm Responsory - Domine, Dominus noster - - - Mode VI, Osborn
    The Epistle - Iustificati ergo ex fide - - - Tone for the Epistle
    Alleluya and Verse - Benedictus es - - - Mode VI, with verse a 2 equal voices: Osborn
    The Holy Gospel - Adhuc multa habeo vobis dicere - - - Tone for the Gospel
    The Nicene Creed - Credo I - - - Mode IV, The Roman Missal

The Offertory Antiphon - Benedictus sit - - - Mode III, adapt., Palmer-Burgess
    Motet - 'Father of All, We Bow to Thee' - - - Christopher Tye

The Roman Canon -
    Sanctus - Mass XI - - - Mode II, adapt., C. Kelly, O.S.B.

Agnus Dei - Mass XI - - - Mode I, adapt., C. Kelly, O.S.B.

The Communion Antiphon - Benedicimus Deum - - - Mode IV, adapt., Palmer-Burgess
    The Canticle of Daniel - Benedictus es, Domine - - - Tone IV
    The Communion Antiphon - (Repeated)
    Meditation Hymn - 'Be Present, Holy Trinity' (Sts. 2 & 4: schola-people in canon) - - - Tallis' Canon

Votive Antiphon - Salve Regina - - - Mode V
    Organ Voluntary - Hymne d'actions de grace: Te Deum - - - J. Langlais

NOTE - the organ was played only for the voluntaries. Otherwise, the entire mass was sung a capella, without so much as a pitch from the organ.

At the Cathedral of Our Lady of Walsingham
    Solemnity of the M.H. Trinity

Divine Worship: The Missal

Totally sung, as always at Sunday High Mass and Solemnities.
    The Athanasian Creed was sung line by line between celebrant and congregation in procession, according to Sarum custom.

Organ Voluntary - Allein Gott in der hoh' sei Her - - - J.S. Bach
    In Procession - Symbolum Quecumque - - - Recto Tono
    Introit - Benedicta sit - - - Mode VIII, adapt., Palmer Burgess
    Kyrie - Missa Sancta Maria Magdalene - - - H. Willan
    Gloria - Missa Sancta Maria Magdalene - - - H. Willan

The Lesson - - - Tone for the Prophecy
    Psalm - Domine, Dominus noster - - - Anglican chant in directum, Sir Joseph Barnby
    The Epistle - - - Tone for the Epistle
    Alleluya and Verse - Benedictus es - - - T. Marier
    The Holy Gospel - - - Tone for the Gospel
    The Nicene Creed - - - Recto Tono, with organ embellishment

The Offertory Antiphon - Benedictus sit - - - Mode III, adapt., Palmer-Burgess
    Motet - Gloria Patri - - - G.P. da Palestrina

The Roman Canon -
    Sanctus - Missa Sancta Maria Magdalene - - - H. Willan

Agnus Dei - Missa Sancta Maria Magdalene - - - H. Willan

The Communion Antiphon - Benedicimus Deum - - - Mode IV, adapt., Palmer-Burgess
    Anthem - 'Hymn to the Trinity' - - - P.I. Tchaikovsky
    Hymn - 'My God, Thy Table Now Is Spread' - - - Rockingham

At The Dismissal - 'Holy Father, Great Creator' - - - Regent Square
    Organ Voluntary - on Allein Gott in der hoh' sei Her - - - Improvisation

I was unusually moved by these two celebrations of the ineffable mystery of He Who Was, Who Is, And Who Is To Come, our Trinitarian Godhead. It would please me greatly if we had more feasts of God Himself throughout the year. Yes, yes, I know that every mass is all about God, & is, verily, a faithful sacrifice to him. Still, though, it seems that he is often left uncontemplated upon while we have so many saints' days, Marian days, and so forth. Of course, likewise, every mass is all about Jesus, but many are those in some cultures (even our own culture!) for whom God and Jesus and the Holy Ghost pale in comparison to their devotions to the Blessed Mother, which, really, borders on heresy if not blasphemy. Too, we have feasts of our Lord, and celebrate the coming of the Paraclete, but have no feast dedicated specifically to the Father. This is, to me, a gross oversight. And, whilst not wishing to diminish the just veneration of Jesus' spotless (by the grace of God) mother, it seems that his actual Father gets a mere honourable mention from all too many people. Certainly not the fervent attention that is showered upon his handmaiden. Indeed, of all the countless artworks (not to mention literature) depicting the madonna and child, how many give any even symbolical hint that this Child had/has a Father? I never fail to think that something of profound importance is missing, that the complete message is not communicated.

About today's homily: Fr Hough related a (possibly apocryphal) account (which some of you may already be aware of) which relates of a time when Augustine (of Hippo) was wandering along the beach wondering how to explain the Trinity to his congregation. There appeared a young girl who had dug a hole in the sand with a large shell and was transferring water from the ocean into it. Augustine asked her what she was doing, and, upon being informed, said 'how can you possibly hope to empty this vast sea into that small hole?', to which the young woman said, 'and, how can you, with your small head, think to comprehend the immensity of God?'. After this, the young woman vanished from sight. It is her shell which is featured on Benedict the XVI's coat of arms.

• New Parish:

I couldn't identify the organ voluntaries.

11:00 High Mass:

Opening: O God Almighty Father (GOTT VATER SEI GEPRIESEN)
    Introit: Benedicta Sit (English) from Simple English Propers
    Psalm: CBW III 110 O Lord Our God
    Offertory: Great God of Mercy (ISTE CONFESSOR)
    Communion: Holy Holy Holy (Tchaikovsky)
    Closing: Sing We Praises to the Father (OMNI DIE)

Other (home) Parish:

Organ Prelude: God Save the Queen (WHAT??!!!?!?)
    Choral Prelude: My Soul Gives Glory (Joncas)
    Opening: Holy Holy Holy (NICEA)
    Psalm CBW III 110 O Lord Our God
    Offertory: 1) O God Almighty Father (GOTT VATER SEI GEPRIESEN)
    2) Come Adore (Tantum Ergo) (ST THOMAS (WADE))
    Communion: 1) Eternal Father, Strong to Save (MELITA)
    2) Holy God, We Praise Thy Name (GROSSER GOTT)
    Closing: All Hail Adored Trinity (OLD HUNDREDTH)
    Organ Postlude: Ricerare per Organo, Floriano Arresti

Don't really know what he was thinking to do God Save the Queen as the organ prelude...
  • I see that you sang one of my favourite hymns, 'All Hail, Adored Trinity'. Perhaps the next time you can sing it to Deus Tuorum Militum, which, I think (not sure), is the pairing to be found in The English Hymnal of 1906. This tune really brings that hymn to splendid life.

(Royalist that I am, I can't really think that 'God Save the Queen' is any more appropriate at mass than the 'Star Spangled Banner' and other patriotic songs. In other words, not! at! all!
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • MatthewRoth
    It is allowed as the postlude for the liturgies sung for the new monarch or on special days per Fortescue/O’Connell/Reid. But the Domine, salvum/am fac should suffice IMHO.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I'm away this weekend, so I'm reporting on a not-to-be-named place I attended.

Mass was a spoken Pontifical Mass in the Ordinary Form by a Bishop who is not the Ordinary of the Diocese. The Ordinary of the Mass was not one I had ever heard nor could I (or anyone else in my vicinity) figure it out.

Prelude I: cantor teaching the congregation the Psalm
    Prelude II: Sicut Cervus, Palestrina
    Hymn: Holy, Holy, Holy
    Unknown Gloria with refrain
    Unknown Psalm
    Unknown seven-fold Alleluia
    Offertory anthem (in English) had lots of alleluias, but I could not understand the text.
    Unknown Sanctus/Mysterium/Great Amen/Agnus Dei
    Eat this Bread
    Motet with jazzy piano, could not understand the text
    More jazzy piano during Second Collection.
    Recessional Hymn: O God Almighty Father, V. 1 and 2 (yes)
    Postlude sounded like a very well played piece. Buxtehude perhaps. I was so disturbed by the ending of the Recessional Hymn that I just meandered out during it.

The organ was exceptionally well played and the congregation, despite being mostly (?) tourists were very well behaved and respectful.
  • Kathy
    UGH.

Just UGH.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Some of us sing "My Country 'tis of Thee" to the Prussian/Lichtensteinian anthem tune on which Reger wrote his fugue; I wouldn't find it too surprising if a hymn weren't associated with it as well. For a Berkeley anti-fascist though, it dredges up old bitterness about that other innovation, the Feast of Christ the Monarchist. (What will people be doing for OT 14, I wonder?)

Holy, holy holy NICAEA
    Schubert Volksmesse
    Guillmont Ps.
    Benedictus sit (cantor Mass)/Benedicta sit (Palestrina)
    We shall bless the God of heaven (American Grad.)
    How wonderful the Three-in-One PUER NOBIS
    O God Almighty Father GOTT VATER SEI GEPRIESEN
  • @MJO I prefer that tune so maybe next time, but it is not likely that my director will agree...
  • Mathew (Joesph?!) Meloche, Liturgical Humorist.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    St. Mary's Visalia CA
    Introit SEP
    Entrance: All hail, adored Trinity Old Hundreth
    Kyrie/Gloria St. Philip Neri/Jernberg
    Responsorial: R&A
    Alleluia: Missa Ascensiones/Giffen
    Offertory: Christ, Whose glory fills the skies/Aaron SJP
    Acclamations/LoG: Jernberg
    Communio: SCG/Rice
    Anthem:God the Holy Trinity: DHalls SJP
    Comm. Procession: O Sacrament, most holy/Fulda
    Dismiss.: O God Almighty FatherGott Vater...
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Jello.

It's a long story.
  • SarahJ
    Mass setting: Heritage Mass
    Prelude- Entree en forme de carillon by Dubois
    Introit- SEP
    Responsorial & Alleluia- Lumen Christi Missal
    Offertory- SEP, followed by O Trinity of Blessed Life (DEO GRATIAS)
    Communion- SEP followed by Firmly and Truly (DRAKE'S BROUGHTON)
    Postlude- Triptyque, Tournemire
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Sarah does play the nicest ludes!
  • SarahJ
    Awe thanks!
    I'm sort of wondering if my parish will grow tired of French organ music. I surely never will!
    "Triptyque" is amazing. I didn't play it very well I'm afraid. But gosh, that piece is just such an experience.
  • canadashcanadash
    @Noeisdas. It is Victoria Day weekend. That could explain the prelude.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    MJO --- could you please elaborate on this intriguing entry in your original post:

Meditation Hymn - 'Be Present, Holy Trinity' (Sts. 2 & 4: schola-people in canon) - - - Tallis' Canon

This sounds just amazing! It also proves yet again that great minds think alike. : ) We sang O Trinity of Blessed Light (Tallis Canon) as our recessional, and at the end as the people were leaving, repeated the last verse as a four-part canon. The rest of our program:

St. John's Cemetery Chapel, Middle Village, NY
    Mass setting: Mass II, Missa Fons Bonitatis
    Gregorian Propers
    Entrance: The God Whom Earth and Sea and Sky
    Offertory Motet: Cantate Domino (Hans Leo Hassler)
    Communion Motet: Sicut Cervus (Palestrina)
    Meditation Hymn during veneration of relic of St. Rita Cascia:
    Veni Creator in alternatim w/chant (Asola)
    Closing: O Trinity of Blessed Light (Tallis Canon)
  • Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish
    Grand Rapids, Michigan

OF Solemn Mass
    Ordinary: Missa de Angelis
    Proper: English chant (Richard Rice)
    Motet: 'Twas in the year that King Uzziah died (Wood/Woodward)
    Hymns:
    Holy, Holy, Holy (Nicaea)
    I bind unto myself today (Saint Patrick's Breastplate/Diedre)
    Holy God, we praise thy Name (Grosser Gott)
    Organ:
    Te Deum versets (including Grand jeu) (Marchand)
    Prelude to the Te Deum (Charpentier)

EF Missa Cantata
    Ordinary: Mass III, Gloria II, Creed V
    Proper: Graduale Romanum
    Te Deum laudamus (solemn)
    Organ:
    as above
  • OF Mass
    Ordinary: Kyrie XVI; Gloria Simplex (Proulx); spoken Creed; Sanctus XVIII; Agnus XVIII
    Proper: SEP w/harmonized verses (IN-OF-CO); Graduale Romanum (CO)
    Motet: Ps 8:2 (Brosig)
    Hymns: Holy, Holy, Holy (NICAEA); Holy God, We Praise Thy Name (GROSSER GOTT)

EF Missa Cantata
    Ordinary: Mass VIII, Credo III
    Proper: Graduale Romanum
    Salve Regina, simple
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    Ok, I'm really happy with this one!

Sung by a choir of 30 voices for the first Mass of a son of the parish...

St. Thomas More Catholic Church
    Withamsville, OH

OF Sung Mass
    First Mass of Fr. Matthew Feist,
    Archdiocese of Cincinnati

Introit: (during the beginning of the procession) English "full-tone" SMC, "Blessed be..."
    Processional Hymn: O God, Almighty Father, choir SATB refrains
    During the Incensation of the Altar: Tu Es Sacerdos, Praglia

Kyrie: Mass XVI (English) ninefold (Choir chant, assembly response, choir SATB, setting SMC)
    Gloria: Choir, Mass in Honor of the Blessed Sacrament, Korman

Psalm: Antiphon Michel Guimont, vss. Anglican Double Chant in G, Crotch
    Alleluia: Setting by H. Hughes in F major

Offertory Antiphon: Full-tone (GR)
    Offertory Motet: Ave Maria a 2, Rheinberger (arr. Rossini)

Eucharistic Acclamations: Mass of Charity, SMC
    Communion Antiphon: English "full-tone" SMC
    Communion Hymn: As the Bread of Life is Broken, THAXTED, arr. Chepponis
    Communion Motets Sicut Cervus Palestrina
    Tantum Ergo Austrian, trad. (18th cent)

Recessional Hymn: Holy, Holy, Holy (NICAEA), choir SATB throughout
    Postlude: Ricercare a 5 from J.S. Bach Fantasia in G Major, BWV 572

Next week is my last week at the parish, got a full-time gig at a different parish! What a way to go...
  • MJO - could you elaborate...

Julie -

Interesting indeed that we both called Tallis' Canon into service for an old office hymn for the same solemnity.

To answer your question -
    'Be Present Holy Trinity' is a J.M. Neale translation of Adesto Sancta Trinitas, an anonymous Xth century office hymn, which may be found at no. 159 in The English Hymnal of 1906. In this hymnal it is paired with two tunes: one, a mode III chant tune, the other, a triple metre tune called Adesto Sancta Trinitas, is identified as a Chartres church melody harmonised by R. Vaughan Williams.

There is a certain Tallis' Canon mystique spirituel that is incredibly satisfying to the soul and pleasing to the intellect. Of all the endless number of canons this one is, for some magical reason, in a class by itself.

The 'O Trinity of Blessed Light', which you sang, is also in The English Hymnal at no. 164, where it is paired with a mode VIII melody and a triple metre melody, Hilariter, from the Colner Gesangbuch, harmonised by Robert Shaw.

There are a goodly number of Trinitarian office hymns in this hymnal, including one of Greek origin, ca. 900.
  • @canadash Well that is actually why he did it, but still, seriously? For an organ prelude? Can't stand this sometimes...
  • Jeffrey Quick
    St. Sebastian (Akron OH) EF
    Hymn: Firmly I believe and truly
    Rheinberger: Missa Puerum Op. 62, with Rheinberger/Quick Gloria (1st time for us)
    Credo 1
    Offertory: Perosi Ave Maria a 2
    Communion Faure Ave verum corpus
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    Stella Maris Church, Sullivan's Island, SC - 5:30pm EF Solemn High Mass

Combined English and Latin parish choirs, members of Westminster Choir (in town for performances at Spoleto Festival), instrumentalists from CSO and CSYO.

Ordinary: MISSA IN C (Kronungsmesse – “Coronation Mass”) KV 317 by W.A. Mozart
    Propers: Gregorian and Anglican chant. John Randall's double chant in D transposed to C for the Introit and Eb for the Offertory.

Peal Bells
    Prelude: Church Sonata in G, KV 274 by W.A. Mozart
    Introit: Benedícta sit sancta Trínitas, tone VIII
    Antiphon from Garduale Romanum with Nova Organi Harmonia accompaniment
    Psalm using first and last parts of Randall chant in C
    Doxology as Antiphon
    Antiphon (reprise) Randall chant, through composed with rhythms drawn for themes in the Ordinary.
    Kyrie; Gloria: Coronation Mass
    Gradual; Alleluia: Benedíctus es, Dómine in the style of Rev. Carlo Rossini in tone IV, including "Alleluia" from Pentecost Sunday.
    Credo: Coronation Mass
    Offertory: Benedíctus sit Deus Pater, Randall double chant
    Motet: Sicut Cervus by G.L. da Palestrina
    Sanctus; Benedictus: Coronation Mass (Benedictus after the Elevations)
    Agnus Dei: Coronation Mass
    Communion: Benedícimus Deum cœli, tone IV, from Graduale Romanum with NOH accompaniment
    Motet: Laudáte Dóminum, from Solemn Vespers by W.A. Mozart
    Recessional: Holy, Holy, Holy!, Nicea
    Postlude: Church Sonata in D, KV 69 (41i) by W.A. Mozart
    Peal Bells
  • I have to wonder why so many people think that hymns with doxologies are hymns for Trinity Sunday. How long will it be until they start singing "The Glory of These Forty Days" on Trinity Sunday...
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I suspect it's because we have drifted so far away from traditional Psalm singing (or saying) that few people understand that the Doxology (Glory be ...) is to be used regularly with the Pslams, most especially the Introit. But what do we have for and Introit in our officially printed books? And "Entrance Antiphon" - a bad translation of the Introit Antiphon, without any notation about adding a Psalm verse, and without any instruction to include the Doxology. Our Liturgy and our people have been purposely dumbed down.
  • ...purposely...
    I believe that this is quite literally true. There is no other explanation for the infantile intellectual musical and literary mush that our prelates, priests, many musicians, and publishers have literally crammed down our people's throats whilst actually forbidding or obstructing any fare worthy of anyone who qualifies as homo sapiens. 'They think we are stupid' is a remark that numerous persons in the pews and choir people have made, unprompted, to me over the years. The Catholic Church does, indeed, suffer from institutional ignorance. Ignorant (as they are themselves) is only condition in which a large, very large, portion of clergy and hierarchy are comfortable with 'their people'.