• Kathy
    I need to know more about the modes.

I'm in the mood for modes.

Thanked by 1Jes
  • ryandryand
    Going.
  • Beautiful sacred liturgies.
    Polyphony rehearsals.
    Working with the women's refresher schola. Teaching lessons!
    Thoughtful plenary talks.
    Cocktails with incredibly interesting people.
    Meal time conversations.
    Surprise roommate.

Visiting St. Louis.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • Saint Louis
    Old friends
    New friends
    Road trip
    Polyphony
    Learning
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • gregpgregp
    The Basilica.
  • BenBen
    Hearing stories and seeing videos from those who are actually able to make it....
  • BruceL
    We need to get together a church tour of the city. For those who haven't been, it's one of the most incredible collections of church architecture. You don't really have a "Polish cathedral" church (for you upper Midwesterners), but you have nearly everything else, some being really fantastic examples of styles.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Insulting (and being insulted by) and bickering with BruceL in person rather than via typing.
    Thanked by 2BruceL Jes
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I'd be happy to show the newly renovated seminary chapel and organ to anyone who is interested.
  • Kathy
    Totally. Ite ad Ioseph!
  • MatthewRoth
    I’m down, Bruce.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    An organ crawl with the seminary on the itinerary would be great!
    Thanked by 2Ben Jes
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Looking at the schedule, I am thinking Monday morning or early afternoon before the colloquium officially starts. Otherwise there isn't much free time, but I am open to suggestions.
    Thanked by 3BruceL Kathy Jes
  • BruceL
    Earl_Grey: do you know if they are letting people in the "Rock" church to look at the Wicks anymore? [It's a Wicks voiced by Henry Vincent Willis III, so really tremendous...just north of the convention hotel]

The Catholic parishes are all prettier, but alas, many of the best organs in Protestant parishes.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I'm in Monday if someone puts this together.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    I have a friend in town who knows some Dominican brothers who'd be willing to help with a church/organ crawl.
    Thanked by 1Jes
    Will the "Follies" be making a comeback this year?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    One can only hope not.
  • canadashcanadash
    It's not mandatory to attend it. I was quite amused.
  • janetgorbitzjanetgorbitz
    Sorry, folks... no follies this year :)
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Registration starts at 2:30. What if we started at the seminary around 10:00 or 11:00 and then we could drive around the area for a few hours and see as many churches/organs as we can and make a lunch stop? I'd be willing to contact some churches to confirm that we can visit/get access to the organ. Let me know if there are any requests. I still don't know the area very well. (I spend most of my time at the seminary and the Cathedral). The old cathedral by the arch would be worth a look, and I can contact the Rock church.

I know there is a new Casavant and Shoenstein in the area (both non-catholic churches), though I have not yet heard either. Most of the Catholic Churches I have seen have either a Wicks or an electronic. There are a couple small trackers by a local builder if that would be of interest.
  • BruceL
    I know the organists at both churches you mention, Earl, just not sure if I'll be in town by Monday morning. Maybe Horst can help, too, or Stephen Eros?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Bruce, just move faster.
  • JesJes
    G'day, at this point a scarily exciting thing is going and flying overseas and testing out my jet lag.

I'm looking forward to polyphony and chant.
    Anything about semiology.
    Improvising chant.
    Organ improvisation.
    Organ accompaniment of chant.
    Hearing my compositions?
    Anybody open to this?

If there is an organ crawl can you please let me tag along?

Most of all I want to meet all these American church musos and make some new mates.
  • janetgorbitzjanetgorbitz
    @jes... if you will be in town soon enough to go to the pre-conference organ extravaganza, I suggest pm'ing some who plan to attend so that you can find a way to get around. There should be enough locals to assist with this (particularly Earl_Grey). If you exchange contact info in advance you should be able to meet up.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • mjballoumjballou
    Always looking forward to the colloquium, even more so after I get my breakout sessions together. My brief glimpse of St. Louis earlier left me intrigued and I hear there's a fine collection of Spanish colonial art in the town.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Mary Jane Ballou is a very good answer to the question this thread raises.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    That brings up another good point. There are plenty of other things besides churches and organs to see and do in Saint Louis. Among other things...

http://www.budweisertours.com/locations/st-louis-missouri.html

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/

http://www.slam.org/

And yes, I'd be happy to drive for the organ/church tour.
    Thanked by 2StimsonInRehab Jes
    Nota bene, historian buffs: don't waste your time on Grant's Farm. Those expecting to find the famed general's old stomping grounds will find a glorified petting zoo.
  • kevinfkevinf
    For those who take into account the beer culture, Schflay beer is is certainly worth pursuing. The tap room at the brewery is one of my favorite places.
  • JesJes
    I heard Missouri has a large bassoon scene? I can feel some baroque continuo masses coming on!!! Woohoo!!!!

I've been reading about the botanic gardens sounds awesome! The pictures look so different to the Melbourne gardens!! Both are cool!!
  • gregpgregp
    Arriving after 11 pm on the Saturday before - is the Metro safe, or should I think about a cab?
  • BruceL
    I think the Metro is plenty safe.
    Thanked by 1gregp
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Greg'll be safe on the train as long as he doesn't don his usual Californian board shorts, flipflops and Guns n Roses tank top of which he's quite fond.
    Thanked by 1gregp
  • canadashcanadash
    The priests! The fabulous amazing priests! That's what I would look forward to if I were going! I wish I could meet Father Morgan again. He was such a delight!