Domine Jesu Christe, Rex Gloriae chant with accompaniment?
  • music123
    Hello everyone,

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of the Domine Jesu Christe, Rex Gloriae chant from the Requiem Mass with organ accompaniment? I have looked in the Adoremus Hymnal and all over the Internet without any luck. Thank you.
  • Music123,

You should have a hard time finding an organ accompaniment for Domine Jesu Christe, Rex Gloriae because organ repertoire is (usually) proscribed at a Requiem.

I would be very surprised if you find such a thing because:

while I know of orchestral accompaniments which can become organ-reductions (think Durufle, or Mozart, or Verdi) people who are usually going to perform these Requia would only use the reduction for rehearsal purposes;

and

most of the people who would write worthy organ accompaniments for this text refrain from doing so (see my first comment) and most who would be inclined to accompany a requiem text aren't going to use the Latin text, given that it is so -- well -- Latin, and therefore deemed (by many) to be unsuited to be sung at all.
  • music123
    Thanks for the explanation. The Adoremus hymnal has accompaniments for the Requiem Aeternam and the In Paradisum, but I guess singing the Domine Jesu Christe at Novus Ordo funerals is not common nowadays. Is there a proper Latin offertory chant for a Novus Ordo funeral, and if so, where do I find it? I will confess I am unfamiliar because we do not do a lot of this, though I have introduced some English Propers occasionally.
  • chonakchonak
    The Nova Organi Harmonia collection (1942) has accompaniments for the propers of the Mass for the Dead in volume 5. Here are the relevant pages (attached).

The whole collection is available for download at Corpus Christi Watershed.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Ordinary Form Propers are suggestions; the Gregorian Missal considers Domine Iesu Christe, De profundis, Domine convertere, Illumina oculos & Si ambulavero especially apt Offertories.
  • madorganist
    You will find accompaniments in all of the books here except the Desrocquettes Kyriale. That gives you four different harmonizations to compare, probably in several different keys. It is perfectly permissible to accompany the chant at a Requiem Mass, even if the singers are capable of doing it unaccompanied. Only solo organ playing is forbidden, and even that is subject to local custom.
  • music123
    Thank you everyone! I knew you guys would come through! This is a Novus Ordo Mass, which is all we do at my church, but since the deceased was so in love with Latin and chant I thought we would at least sing some of the Requiem chants. I am happy to be avoiding On Eagle's Wings, what can I say?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Music123,
    I am happy to be avoiding On Eagle's Wings, what can I say?

Deo Gratias?