This made me feel sick, or, what not to post on social media
  • So earlier this week I was browsing the inter webs and came across a post written by a colleague. The post did not mention anything about his current position but it was plainly obvious he was referring to his place of employment. What made me, and several others, upset was his declaration of anything beautifying the liturgy or the church experience in general wasn't worth the time or cost involved, that he was not moved by all these outward things of beauty, they don't make him feel closer to God, and on and on...only in much more serious language. What was shocking was that this particular place recently raised and spent millions of dollars to restore their stained glass windows AND their organ. It all means nothing to this person. Zero. And they meant it enough to share it for all the world to see.

So, someone had a bad day. It happens. And it wouldn't mean anything to me, even if this person's beliefs are deeply opposite my own, except for one thing...

I asked the other colleague who alerted me to the new job and encouraged me to apply how all of that was going and if many people had applied. She mentioned one name who applied, and at the time I didn't think of it because it was only the first name...Then this person...by the same name...wrote that post and maybe I'm wrong but maybe I'm not.

One part of me wishes I'd copied his post and saved it before he inevitably took it down. If he really feels like that, he shouldn't be a church musician at all. And I feel like any other place he may go should be warned.

But the other part of me doesn't have time for that and will not get involved. But I will feel very badly if he gets that job over me.

:( Sigh.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • CharlesW
    Understand how you feel. There are musicians out there who have little faith and view their work as just a job. Often, they don't stay in one place long and are always on the lookout for something better. Some can pull that off, while others are not so convincing.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • JesJes
    Mate, that's disheartening.
    It's times like this you need to listen to Christus Factus Est and pray for this person so that they may find joy in their life rather than dwelling on the negatives. The internet is a callous and cowardly place that sadly is as permanent as the technology that facilitates it.
    Chin up, and enjoy your stained glass windows and organ. Will pray for your situation and for this bloke who seems intent on ruining his reputation.
  • I doubt that he/she is ruining their reputation, they are merely flaunting it. There's way too much of that these days.
  • Well, being that the music community in my area is so tight knit, and the sacred music community even more so, as it turns out this person is/was the director at the home church of the director I work with at my current position. We discussed the incident yesterday, and I did feel badly because apparently this person has some serious issues and is having a hard time of things, but that doesn't excuse his behavior. On the other hand, I had the terrible thought that BOTH of us could get hired and I'd have to work with him. I just got a reply from the other job, they said they are accepting applications through most of May and will contact me after then, so I have time to really think about this decision...