Monastic Compline in English With Chant?
  • I'm looking for a Chant setting of Monastic Compline in English for a workshop I'm giving later this month. Has anyone ever adapted that or know of someone who has? Any help would be most appreciated.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Winfred Douglas has it in his "Monastic Diurnal, Noted", but it doesn't include the Pss. or their Antiphons. I'll try to scan and post it later today.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Salieri- Many thanks! There are no antiphons in the Monastic Office for Compline, so that explains their absence. As for the pss I can figure that out. Very kind of you!
  • SalieriSalieri
    Here it is, Jeffrey. You will also need to find the text for the hymn Te lucis, but that should be easy.
    Thanked by 2Olivier jefe
  • So kind of you, Thank you Salieri!
  • Kathy
    I think I have a Te lucis translation in the LCH.
  • jefe
    Here is the Sunday version: The English text is the same.
    Our local Cistercian Monastery does not use Salieri's version of Compline. I did download it for study, and I'm happy to see it. They do chant all four of the prescribed Compline Hymns: 4, 31, 91, 134, every day, 365. They chant in the dark, except for the spots over the scores for visitors. It seems to be a simpler version than above. Simplex on the loose? 8<)
  • jefe
    Below is a link to a Sarum version of Compline in English which I find quite interesting, with the pointing of the Psalms, and chant notation mated to a text from antiquity.
    http://www.humanities.mcmaster.ca/~renwick/Annex/Compline 05.pdf
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Canon Douglas' Monastic Diurnal Noted is available as a reprint by the Lancelot Andrewes Press - In case anyone is interested. The book is invaluable.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • a_f_hawkins
    That link doesn't quite work for me but http://www.humanities.mcmaster.ca/~renwick/Annex/ and looking down to Compline 05.pdf did.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen jefe
  • Thank you all for your help with this! You are all so kind and generous with your resources and ideas