Instrumental Funeral music
  • AP23AP23
    Hello,

I am looking for instrumental organ funeral music to expand my library. Any suggestions?
  • I often play 'The Peace May Be Exchanged' from Ruberics by Dan Locklair.

When used I always will have at least one person come and request it for their funeral.
    Thanked by 1mrcopper
  • Protasius
    I like to play the partita on "Ach wie nichtig ach wie flüchtig" by Georg Böhm for funerals.
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    If you're allowed to play the organ at a funeral, O Mensch Bewein Dein Sünde Gross from Bach's Orgelbüchlein can be wonderfully effective.
  • hartleymartin
    Strictly speaking, instrumental solo music is not permitted at requiem masses. However, I can see a case for allowing quieter, solemn music for pastoral reasons.
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    I thought that such music was in fact permitted at Requiem Masses in the OF?
  • Technically, no, it's not. Funerals have the same rules for instrumental music (only used to accompany singing) as the rubrics for Lent.

That said, pick up Gerald Near's St. Augustine Organbook. There is a great setting of both the Requiem and the In Paradisum in there. Both pretty easy, too.
    Thanked by 2rich_enough BruceL
  • And so we can fall back on the widely accepted justification for instrumental music at funerals, lent and advent by playing such music before and after the Mass, right?
  • Spriggo
    I'll do it - TWO YEARS
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • CharlesW
    So it took two years to reach this conclusion? LOL. I haven't seen any documentation that states instrumental music is banned in the OF for funerals, only during Lent. Accompanying singing is allowed.