Please pray for this priest friend of mine...
  • http://ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/north-carolina-parishioners-clash-pastor-petition-his-removal#.VmdSmYcayp4.twitter'

"The group feels that the bishop is pro-restoration movement and that's why he's turned a deaf ear," said Viau, a member of St. John's for eight years. The restoration movement, popular among some newly-ordained priests, grew during the pontificate of Pope Benedict XVI. Broadly defined, the movement has called for a leaner, muscular church, more attached to ancient liturgical traditions with a strict interpretation of Catholic doctrines and practices.

The diocese denies it is nurturing a "restorationist" movement and, according to diocesan spokesman David Hains, it is a term used by Riehl's critics to discredit him.
    Thanked by 1bhcordova
  • We will!
  • No comment on the specific situation, about which I know nothing.

On the other hand, to refer to "a strict interpretation of Catholic doctrines and practices" as if it were potentially a problem is, well, a problem.

As for the requested prayers -- absolutely yes.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • chonakchonak
    The article is apparently that newspaper's way of "healing wounds": maximum publicity!
  • ryandryand
    The restoration movement, popular among some newly-ordained priests, grew during the pontificate of Pope Benedict XVI. Broadly defined, the movement has called for a leaner, muscular church, more attached to ancient liturgical traditions with a strict interpretation of Catholic doctrines and practices.

So... Catholic.
  • kevinfkevinf
    I know this pastor. And the parish....

Please pray for him as he was sent in to clean up a serious mess. There is more than the fishwrap is reporting.
  • There's a wad of folks who are either simulating the Mass (no priest mentioned) or else have gone Protestant...serious stuff. They need our prayers.

Kevin, do you know anything about the sacked music director there?
  • fcbfcb
    There's a wad of folks who are either simulating the Mass (no priest mentioned) or else have gone Protestant...serious stuff.

Actually, if you read further in the article they mention that the folks meeting in the dentist's office have a retired priest coming in for Mass. I was at first confused by this as well. This may be a case of "going Protestant," but not as severe a case as celebrating Mass without a priest.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • MatthewRoth
    Some of them did go to the Protestant church though. That has to be corrected and it damages whatever merit their complaints had.
  • fcb, I looked, and somehow I missed that. I didn't think they'd be THAT goofy, but you never know. As for the retired priest...sucks to be him. We had a similar case in the D. of Cleveland, and Bp. Lennon took his own good time in dropping the ax, but drop it he did.

They need a Crusade Against Indifferentism.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I read the article and the primary agent of discord proves to be the NCR itself, IMO.
    The framing of their reportage is clearly aimed to foment the cafeteria democracy that seems to be running rampant this week in St. Blogs. Whether it's petitions from Michael Matt at the Remnant, Steve Skojec at 1Peter5, the flap over Ross Douthat's theological credibility, or these folks in Carolina, it seems that "catholics" now feel empowered to openly flaunt their concept of priesthood as a legitimate justification of a lack of fealty to the Magisterium, be it the local pastor (trad or prog), or to whichever Holy Father is in vogue.
    This isn't just sad, it is stupid. PIPs gone wild over any paradigm shift in liturgy cannot approach the altar in good conscience, IMO. This sort of nuclear attack sheep syndrome in Carolina pales as a true grievance compared to the shuttering of viable parishes over the east and Midwest, as well as the travesty that's occurred at Our Savior's in NYC.
    Enough is enough. People, work with your priests. If you choose to leave, be sure to pick up your "Hi, I'm the Prodigal Son" badge on the way out.
  • Broadly defined, the movement has called for a leaner, muscular church, more attached to ancient liturgical traditions with a strict interpretation of Catholic doctrines and practices.

Well, yes? This sort of defeats the Protestant Sort of Catholic Church so many are used to. Including priests, who enjoy the friendship of the congregation while ignoring their real job.

The major problem these younger priests have to deal with is not the congregation but the older priests. While there were once two distinct groups of priests in a diocese, this adds a third group. The pressure from the congregation can be ignored but that from supposedly brother priests make this a very difficult position to be in.

Especially without the support of the church.

Melo could get rich selling those buttons.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Yeah, if I was interested in that I woulda copyrighted the thought (incurring Adam's wrath.) Trouble is, woulda I become rich, I'd have to give it all to the poor, 'causin' the gate is narrow, an' I haves enuff baggage.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • kevinfkevinf
    The major problem these younger priests have to deal with is not the congregation but the older priests.

I have visited three dioceses lately and including my own, this is a serious problem. I witness it at priest gatherings and priest council meetings and at diocesan liturgies.

It is a division by ecclesiology and attachment to liturgical practice. And bishops don't want to get involved. My own bishop proffered the statement, "can't we just all get along."

Put your head in the sand...so to speak.
  • De facto abdication without stepping down is, alas, a widespread phenomenon, and not just amongst religious 'leaders'.
  • BruceL
    I have visited three dioceses lately and including my own, this is a serious problem. I witness it at priest gatherings and priest council meetings and at diocesan liturgies.

It is a division by ecclesiology and attachment to liturgical practice. And bishops don't want to get involved. My own bishop proffered the statement, "can't we just all get along."

Put your head in the sand...so to speak.

It is a tough thing. A lot of the older priests will play things up now because they know, worst case, they get to retire. The bishop is in a harder place because if they retire, there are no priests...and then no parishes...etc. A big issue in West Virginia, where I'm from.
  • cmb
    and has "openly defamed the Second Vatican Council" while substituting popular hymns with Gregorian chant.

How dare they openly defame Vatican 2 by adhering to exactly what the documents say?

Prayers for all involved.
  • I'd like to toss out there that all of the nuggets in this post have been cited by many talented individuals I know who absolutely hate working in the American Catholic church, and would do almost anything else than put up with all of this. Teach private lessons, take an alternate career, etc.

All of these crazy, internal wars do a bang-up job of driving away many of the most talented musicians I know. If a top graduate from a music school has the chance of a performing career or a career in the church...every time they'll take the performing career, in my experience.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW MBW