off-topic comments from thread on advice for new pastors
  • chonakchonak
    This discussion was created from comments split from: What advice would you give to a new pastor?.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • ronkrisman
    Work with priests, cajole slackers with persuasion and Port.

You may have even better success with a fine single malt scotch.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    That's actually true, my pastor and the other associate appreciate single malts bigtime. I was going for the alliteration, ever the loquacious fool!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Or a comparison tasting between Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 and George Dickel No. 12.
  • BruceL
    Or a comparison tasting between Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 and George Dickel No. 12.

And just like that, Chuck offends all the bourbon aficionados on the board by suggesting the inferior Tennessee product!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Liam
    CharlesW

Which immigrant ethnic group dominated US Catholic diocesan seminaries for generations? That's why.
  • CharlesW
    Which immigrant ethnic group dominated US Catholic diocesan seminaries for generations? That's why.

The pastor for 38 years at the parish where I play always said, "The Irish ruined the Church." He was of German descent, BTW.
  • MBWMBW
    The pastor for 38 years at the parish where I play always said, "The Irish ruined the Church." He was of German descent, BTW.

Yes-and who ruined the Irish? Those whose music and rites we so admire, that's who. Personally, I blame all of our problems on Oliver Cromwell's mother. I don't know anything about her, but judging from the fruit of her womb...

(How do you do the purple?)
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • SalieriSalieri
    Personally, I blame all of our problems on Oliver Cromwell's mother.

And don't forget, Adolph Hitler was once a choirboy! What we sow, so shall we reap.

Made me think of this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ooqDLqseQ
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    And just like that, Chuck offends all the bourbon aficionados on the board by suggesting the inferior Tennessee product!

Because of my 38 years in the Old Dominion, I had thought of mentioning Virginia Gentleman. However, I had a friend there who was, I'm sure, a latent Tennessean, who shared and extolled the virtues of George Dickel many times with me. On the other hand, Kentucky bourbon is special in its own right, and I didn't mean to offend by mentioning Tennessee sipping whiskey.
    Thanked by 2Liam BruceL
  • melofluentmelofluent
    What I enjoy about this whole thread, and the one I started over Dcn. Bauerschmidt's report about USCCB, is that Fr. Chepponis obviously trusts the CMAA/affiliate's voices by seeking input for his presentation, and we have responded with poise, charity and acumen. Maybe Mr. Flowerday will realize we're not all Blue Meanies, in this life or the next.
  • Kathy
    I don't think the charge of blue meaniness is always sincere.

Call me jaded, but it's such a quick and easy strategy of discrediting another, it's hard to imagine that it hasn't been employed in a matter as heartfelt as liturgy, at one time or another.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Next step of logic, it's so unnecessary.