Compliments on the music you have chosen.
  • To balance out some of the whining...
  • Here's a sort of interesting one. A few weeks ago I sang the Requiem introit for the funeral of a police officer who was killed on duty (in a truly senseless murder). As you might imagine, the church was full of police officers. About a week ago, in a coffee shop, I was approached by an officer (which, historically, has not been a good thing for me...) who apparently turned around and looked up (to the choir loft) as I was doing it, because he recognized me and complimented both that particular chant and the music sung by the choir.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Often such compliments are not what you'd expect. There's a Donat Müller O salutaris that we do, which is kind of marginal in terms of musical value; it entered our repertoire because it was extremely easy and we were just starting, and because it has a certain brutalist elegance. Well, we've gotten compliments on it being"deeply spiritual".
  • This is a stretch, but something very interesting happened at our TLM yesterday evening. One of my stonger members in our schola damaged his knee, and was told by his doctor that he could place absolutely no weight on it for at LEAST a month. This was told to him on Friday. He called me Saturday to give me a heads up, and said he would try to sing from downstairs. When I told the rest of the schola (8 minutes before Mass), the overwhelming consensus was to move downstairs and sing together (we do everything a cappella anyway). We moved to a spot by the baptismal font, and prayed the Mass. The only real logistical thing for me to figure out was when to quickly and quietly move up to the choir loft to play for the interlude and postlude.

At the supper that we hosted following the Mass in the parish hall, I was amazed at the positive feedback from some of our regulars. It probably had something to do with the change in acoustics (I could definitely tell the difference, and so could my schola), but the opinion was that we sounded the best we ever had, and I got 3 more singers who haven't been regulars in a while to come help with the Mass parts.

We may be moving down indefinitely! My priest seems pretty open to the idea at least.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Adam Wood
  • MatthewRoth
    I put together the music for a family funeral. All funerals (all Masses, of course!) ought to follow the church’s paradigm, but since it was my grandmother’s, it was one we absolutely had to get right, both because of the formative nature of the liturgy and from the perspective of “if it is bad, we will be furious for a long time.” The ordo, with a few errors, is here. The Prayers of the Faithful, which I wrote and sang are posted here.

For the curious: I sang recto tono, then cadenced with the formula for “digneris” in the Litany of the Saints, and the response was sung using formula for “Libera nos Domine,” but the correct formula for “Te rogamus audi nos” works, and I would have used it had I remembered...and count the prayer and Scriptural references. I have at least one in each. (I’m rather proud of this...)

Organizing it was a hot mess, but my friend, who is a vocalist and an FUS alum from the sacred music program, sang the music. Everyone loved it, and it means a lot when family members say something if you are uncertain about their reactions. I mean, I am confident true Gregorian chant was never sung in the parish, given its very Irish and very Low Mass history. And they live in very average parishes. Father even said at the end, without any prompting, that it was beautiful and that it was good that we sang the texts he and my grandmother knew as a child and well into their thirties, actually. And doing the words of rememberence before the sprinkling and the Introit really let the Introit shine and we didn't have any disaster from which to recover.

This also involved overcoming the wall to wall carpet and the organist being in the loft whereas my friend was at the front on the Epistle side...
  • rollingrj
    I was the cantor for the morning Mass on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, 2014. Knowing this Mass would be attended by the children of the parish school, I applied the "KISS" priciple (Keep It Short and Simple).

Entrance Hymn: Immaculate Mary
    Offertory Hymn: Sing Of Mary
    Communion Hymn: O Sacrament Most Holy
    Recessional Hymn: The Whole World Is Waiting For Love

Hymns they knew and knew well, and they sang them well (none of the quasi-shouting you might expect). Afterwards, the principal came up to me and complimented me on my choices and how much everybody was paricipating.
  • Hmm...never mind.

Picked a lovely slow movement from a Scarlatti sonata shortly after I was hired, got lots of compliments on it...now I get compliments and "requests" for big flashy hymn arrangements, spent $60 on a huge book full of them...Oh sorry I guess I'm starting to whine again.

The best compliment I get is keeping the choir on track and playing the hymns at a "normal" tempo that makes it easy for the congregation to follow, apparently that was an issue before I came along. :)

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    The best compliment I get is keeping the choir on track and playing the hymns at a "normal" tempo that makes it easy for the congregation to follow, apparently that was an issue before I came along. :)

That "normal tempo" thing is quite important. My predecessor did what I would call "interpretive" hymn playing. She would slow one verse - the words called for it, speed up another - it had more energy, and fermata to death ends of phrases. It drove the congregation nuts. Many in the congregation told me they know they wont have to second guess me on what is coming next in the hymns since that "normal tempo" is constant.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The most common compliment I got at my last job was, "The choir sounded so BIG and LOUD!"

No one ever said directly, "I appreciate your nuanced approach to contemporary liturgical programing in the light of tradition and the present needs of this particular worshipping community," but whenever they complimented the volume, I knew that's what they really meant.
  • It probably had something to do with the change in acoustics (I could definitely tell the difference, and so could my schola), but the opinion was that we sounded the best we ever had,

It's not enough to sing better music, you have to sing better music in a better place - as you did.

Going back to the loft will be disheartening. It is better to have sacred silence if it means staying down there and leaving the organ silent. Congratulations on having had the opportunity to experience that.

(I'm currently negotiating to have the living room rug, there now to make the floor warmer, rolled up for practicing cello in the house. We'll see how that works out. Maybe I can use a 3D printer to make an automatic roller upper?)
  • The most common compliment I get is that I play everything at a more upbeat tempo than other accompanists, so it's much easier for the congregation to sing.

People tend to compliment my hymn choices quite a bit, too. It's always nice to hear when people appreciate your efforts.
  • Years ago after singing an a capella motet which we were rather pleased with, a lady came up after mass and said, 'Oh, I just loved your avacado anthem'.
  • It was my lot some years ago to play a simulacrum. A number of people afterwards said, 'you made that thing sound like a real organ'
    >
    Another time I could not escape doing a certain happy-clappy sort of song with a choir. So, I straightened out the time and the rhythm and counted it as if it were Howells, shaded and phrased it as one would a normal choral work, accompanied it as if it were an English anthem, and tried to make a normal piece of music out of it. Afterwards, there were a number of comments to the effect that it was really nice the way I did that piece - 'you took the "country" out of it', they said. So, I felt as though I had had the last laugh!
    >
    In my years of service at an historic Houston Lutheran church we would often have visiting professors from one of their many Concordia colleges or from Europe. It was not unusual to have one come up to the gallery after the service with high praise for the music - but the sweetest compliment of all was 'you're obviously Anglican, aren't you'. I get similar comments from time to time from Catholic priests and even a bishop or two.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    but the sweetest compliment of all was 'you're obviously Anglican, aren't you'
    Hear, hear!
  • I was told one Sunday that the Schola "sounded so voluminous! I felt like we had the Mormon Tabernacle Choir here!" lol
  • I've found that the simplest compliments are always the ones that stay with me. The wife of the local UV president always thanks our group for the music after every choral mass we sing. The fact that our president has given me cart Blanche when it comes to music, I think, is a wonderful compliment in and of itself.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • SarahJ
    I've received compliments especially when playing one of the Brahms Chorale Preludes. I have yet to receive a compliment from playing Langlais... some day! ... some... day...
  • SarahJ -
    Here are some high compliments for playing Langlais.
    (Now, don't say you never got any.)
    Keep up the good work!

Thanked by 1SarahJ
  • For playing Langlais, are the kudos for the chutzpah it takes to play the piece, the chutzpah it takes to think one worthy of playing such a piece, or the skill with which one played it?
  • Yes.
    Thanked by 1SarahJ
  • Just started as a DM at the local parish with the "traditional" choir. By traditional, meaning four loosely traditional hymns (at least not upbeat/syncopated hymns) + English choral "anthem" after communion. Since starting, I have been chanting the Propers (int & off - SEP, Latin communio) and am working with the choir on Jesu, Rex Admirabilis, Conditor Alme Siderum, and Alma Redemptoris Mater chants ("more Latin?!?" - choir member).

We sang "O Lord I am not Worthy" as the communion hymn (after the chant). An elderly woman came up and said "When is the last time I have sung O Lord I am not Worthy!! Brought me back to my first communion! I almost cried!"

Many people have complimented the Communion chant as well.

Keep on swimming...swimming...swimming...
  • That's exactly why we included "O Lord I am Not Worthy" and other old hymns in the Catholic Choirbook Anthology. Gives you a foothold with the old-timers, who also heard chant.

Good work, Hilary.
  • canadashcanadash
    We have a small schola singing at one of the masses at our church. It is a new initiative. The same thing happened to us with regard to the hymn "O Lord I am not Worthy." People looked back at us and we received numerous compliments. I have to pull out more of these. I hope they will be available in our next hymnal. BTW, thanks Noel for putting it in the CCA.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • MatthewRoth
    We use “O Lord I am not worthy” or at least the last verse about once a month or so here at Steubenville.
  • 1) From the pastor, "They're very good, aren't they?" about my new 6-voice volunteer polyphonic ensemble.

2) From a parishioner, about a year after I arrived, "The reverence is back... Never leave."

3) From a new Bass, "I really enjoyed singing your Mass setting [I wrote it] downstairs, and when I saw your ad in the bulletin, I thought I'd join the choir."

4) "Nice things were said about you at the Parish Council meeting last night."

and, my new favorite,

5) Our deacon received this only last week, about our choral Stations of the Cross & Benediction in Lent, "I really like them purple things you put on the wall, and the music was awesome."

Which it truly was... we open with an Adoramus Te or Bruckner's Vexilla Regis, sing vs. 2 of the Rheinberger Stabat Mater or his two-voice Ave Maria at the 4th Station, O Sacred Head at the 12th, Do Not Lament Me, O Mother, at the 14th, a contemporary choral setting of the Tantum Ergo & an Ave Verum Corpus, followed by Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament and a sung setting of the Divine Praises in chant. Then we conclude with Lift High the Cross (until Passion Week, then "All Glory, Laud, and Honor").

That and the two conservatory-trained string players, recently wed (what a fun wedding to sing, my only instruction from them being, "As much Latin as possible"!), who told me that the music was a major draw for them, and they missed it a great deal when travel took them to other parishes.
  • At my parish, I am a part of my parent's contemporary music ministry (including guitar, bass, and hammered dulcimer). For before communion, we typically have someone in the group do a meditative song to allow the group to receive the eucharist, and I have started to use the communion chant from the Graduale whenever possible in order to introduce the parish to the beauty of sacred music. Soon after, the pastor has told my dad who is the head of the group, "Whenever he wants to do chant at the mass, let him." We are now starting to incorporate more chant slowly into our repertoire.
  • Drake
    The most unique compliment I have heard: "Like Mozart on opium...but in a good way".
    Thanked by 1SarahJ
  • ryandryand
    There were two copies of a complaint letter, one in my mail and one in the pastor's. I asked him the next day if he had seen it and he said, "I put it right in the shredder." A compliment to my work so far.
  • Today, one of the deacons thanked me for the music and told me it sounded heavenly. I have really low self-confidence when it comes to being a musician, so usually I don't believe people when they compliment me. But it is definitely nice to hear encouraging comments!
  • When people compliment you you should believe them. Believe them because it is uncomplimentary things that are usually the most freely and insouciantly offered, and those who offer them normally do so without regard to any manner of politesse, plus they are generally unqualified to offer their criticisms. There are many who like what you do but just don't bother to say so, so when one does say so, take it and run with it - it didn't have to have been given.
  • MBWMBW
    Over the years I have had several people tell me that the music at Mass was the reason they entered or came back to the church.

I have no idea how many have left the building swearing never to come back.

I think I may also take as a compliment the fact that, after performing Leslie Bassett's Collect for the first Call to Action convocation, nobody suggested a bit of Rosemary Woods.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    MBW, this is the first time in many years that I've seen reference to Leslie Bassett's Collect for SATB chorus with electronic tape. I remember the University Singers (of the University of Virginia) performing it in the Cabell Hall Auditorium under the direction of James Dearing in the early 1970s. It is a masterpiece which undoubtedly is not performed often enough, although the sheet music is supposed to be available from WLP; however, I have no idea about the availability of the electronic (originally 2-track tape) component of the score.

Addendum: The sheet music is WLP product no. 002000, and the electronic CD (instead of tape) is WLP product no. 002084.
  • The best compliment I've ever received was after a Pentecost Vigil (I lobbied for the extended vigil with Vespers and all the readings but was ignored). Most of the members of my schola travel extensively for work, so we usually only get to sing the Mass on feast days. This particular time we sang for a CRHP retreat at a parish about half an hour from ours. Being pressed for rehearsal time, we opted to sing the Gregorian inter-lection chants and the Simple Choral Gradual processional chants. We also sang two short motets from the Secunda Anthologia Vocalis. After Mass a member of the parish came up to me and said he experienced the most spiritually fortifying Mass of his life.
  • MBWMBW
    CHGiffen, I think I still have the tape. However, I don't have the reel to reel to play it on. I haunt the thrift stores thinking I may find one, but no luck. I'd like to be able to play my Masters recital tape and my recording from my rock band days. I also have another U of M classic, Wm Albright's Organbook II, a great piece that maybe only Albright could really bring off.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • When your pastor asks for a list of all the music you play so he can ask the other longstanding choir directors at your parish to do the same.
  • MBW, get local Radio station to dub all that music off those tapes before the magnetism drops below a functioning level! Usually they have an engineer who covets the old machinery, or knows how to find one.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen MBW
  • melofluentmelofluent
    When your pastor asks for a list of all the music you play so he can ask the other longstanding choir directors at your parish to do the same.

Were that all parish ensembles were created equal. Seldom the case.
  • ghmus7
    Charles:
    I knew Mr. Bassett, and i did not know about this work.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen