• RA981
    A few weeks ago I posted a question regarding the use of bulletin announcements to recruit new choir members. I am very pleased to announce that after three weeks of running announcements and a pitch from me, we had 27prospective choir members sign up! This turnout certainly exceeded my expectation.

We have our first rehearsal on the Nov. 4 and the choir will begin singing at Mass during the first weekend in Advent. Because it's a new group and I don't know the capabilities of the group yet, I am planning on having them sing one anthem during Advent.

1) Anyone have any suggestions for a dignified (two-part mixed voice) Advent anthem?
    2) I've been searching for a good descant to Veni, Veni Emmanuel and have been coming short. Any leads?
    3) Finally, if you were in my position, how would you run your first rehearsal?
  • 1) You might take a look at Ravanello's Secunda Anthologia Vocalis.
    2) I vaguely remember a setting with the descant. I'll doublecheck.
    3) Open rehearsal with prayer. Close rehearsal with prayer. Lots of encouragement for your signers throughout. Maybe a snack afterwards.
  • 1. Warm up well.
    2. Work on more than one piece (but probably not more than 3), in order of difficulty. Sight read them, without expectations. Your people may crash and burn, but you will set an expectation for literacy. Go back immediately and begin picking up the pieces/teaching the parts.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    1) (original poster's numbered list) Hal Hopson edited "Come Jesus, only Son of God", after the duet in Handel's Israel in Egypt. If you need unaccompanied high/low Ligeti's Bethlehemi királyok for Epiphany is the best I can come up with.

2) You've already checked CPDL, including the see also section? The 13c. two-part setting is in both the New Oxford Book of Carols and the Shorter NOBC, but might not work with Stainer's harmony ;-)

3) Make plans A, B, C and be prepared to improvise Q.
  • canadashcanadash
    A snack on the first day would be nice, it will help people bond and learn names.
    Warming up is essential.
    If you can record anything for them to listen to on their own, it may help with the following rehearsal.
    Send a follow-up email thanking them for their work.
  • Find out what you can - range of voices, reading ability, experience. Planning for the future is helped by thoroughly understanding the current reality.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I would also highly recommend taking a year's subscription at St. James Press as you will have at your fingertips a cornucopia of tried, tested choral works/hymns in a multitude of voicings by known composers back to the renaissance and contemporary ones such as Daniel Gawthrop. The downloadable pdfs and demonstration recordings can be not only referenced, but transmitted to your choristers via email. I also suggest acquiring Heath Morber's "Bread of Life," Jon Naple's "Offertory," and Richard Rice's "Simple Choral Propers," newly released.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago