Thoughts on Vespers at Saint Patrick's Cathedral
  • ronkrisman
    The positives:

Very prayerful liturgy
    Good participation by all
    Excellent homily
    Beautiful music (Thank you, Jennifer Pascual, for a very fine setting of Salmo 32.)

The negative (only one, but it was a doozie):

The mic'd song leader
    Thanked by 2melofluent cmb
  • Choir dress returned. It sounds picky to some, but externals matter... I think that what was programmed for D.C. was better on paper, but no one had choir dress so it was really taken down a notch. Anglicans would never dare sing the office without choir dress...we ought to dwell on that point. I have only seen pictures, so I cannot comment on the quality of the musicians, the ceremonial details, participation, and such.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Is there any way to see what was programmed for the papal liturgies thus far?
  • There is NO need for a Cantor - period - especially when there is a fine and very capable choir. While watching the Vesper service, listening to it gave me a headache due to the cantor vs choir not being in sink. All good musicians should understand this from an ensemble sense.

And finally, I wish with all my heart, that those media covering church services (regardless of where its taking place - St. Patrick's or the Vatican), that the media would stop commentating audibly during the service and simply SHUT UP!!!

I want to listen as if I were there! So please, just be respectful and make your comments before or after. If the media has to comment during, do so via a running superscript at the bottom of the tv screen. Jesus should be the focus and not news commentators / celebrities.
  • kenstb
    I was also disturbed by the cantor. Having had the pleasure of playing two of the organs in the cathedral [I think that there is a third keyboard used for reed sounds which I haven't played], it is pretty obvious (to me, at least) that there is a delay of about 1/2 to a full second between the choir loft and the altar. The soloist who sang with the choir solved that issue by remaining in the loft. It also seemed to me that the cantor was not necessary when the choir sang the verses with him. The choir and the musicians sounded wonderful.
  • rjlynch, thank you for posting that. It interrupted a post I was writing about high and mighty people who...

"I want to listen as if I were there! So please, just be respectful and make your comments before or after. If the media has to comment during, do so via a running superscript at the bottom of the tv screen. Jesus should be the focus and not news commentators / celebrities."

That's what adoration and parish masses are for, sorry.
  • ronkrisman
    Re: TV talking heads

Vespers had less commentary than the beatification Mass. For the latter, I switched to Telemundo, which had much less chatter.

Let's remember it's the media's "show," not the Church's.
  • EWTN had significantly less commentary than usual during the service. Though the Cathedral was streaming it commentary free, so I mostly watched on their website.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Nobody has mentioned yet the most satisfying thing to me: the Magnificat was chanted to REAL Anglican chant, a Single chant by Thomas Tallis. None of this faux-Anglican chant that so often is trotted out by Catholics and called Anglican chant. Without the Cantor, it would have been even better.
  • chonakchonak
    The video from St Patrick's is at:
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/74064018
    (skip the first 55 min.)
    It's free of commentary.

(and again, program PDF at: http://www.usccb.org/about/leadership/holy-see/francis/papal-visit-2015/upload/thursday-9-24-vespers-st-patrick.pdf )
  • melofluentmelofluent
    No one has mentioned the obvious (save for dear Fr. Krisman, and I felt sympathy actually for that poor man.) This was Puccini to Pius X, this was opera, this was pandering, this was vintage New York going back to Kennedy. And Dolan, having the hubris after turning a deaf era to Our Saviors, publicly touting St.P's renovation and then doubling down and condescending to tell HHF that the moment he crossed the threshold, he became a real New Yawker. I'd be willing to wager that the HF thought of "When will you, Cardinal Timothy, become a real __________ic?" I can't state "We are lost." I can ask "Are we lost?" Does no one ever watch our last three pontiffs through many of these "ceremonies" (and I think the most painful to watch was S.JP2)? They are clearly tired and hostage to all the pretense of "Exultate Jubilate."
    Damn.
  • CHGiffen, do you have an example of what is not Anglican chant?
  • cmb
    Watch the direct Vatican feeds on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/user/vatican). No commentary at all. (Downside: No translation either.)

The cantor was entirely unnecessary. A section of the men of the choir easily could have intoned the antiphons.

A lot of positives, though. Nice psalm settings. Lovely Magnificat. Pater Noster in Latin.
  • I was watching vespers at St Patrick's Cathedral in New York and was very impressed with most of the music. It was delightful that the choir were actually wearing choir habit (women included - Anglicans got over that long ago!). My only complaint was a real lack of choral blend and rather top heavy sopranos in a choir that seemed engaged in the worst of choral sins, competitive singing. On the whole, though, it was commendable.... until it got to that, um, 'cantor' (?). What, pray, was he doing there? Why didn't he just be silent? It was so offensive that I quit watching and may have missed out on some other good things.
  • chonakchonak
    Here's the Our Father:
    https://youtu.be/rI4BKYLriGM?t=1h11m

There's an obvious clash between the cantor and choir, so far apart; I wonder whether people at the cathedral heard it as listeners elsewhere did.
  • Um, clash indeed! - it's a little bit more than acoustical lag - it's rather a case of a clueless what-would-be 'cantor' in front of a microphone. I have no doubt that those present heard what we are hearing.
  • cmb
    Choir dress returned.

Except for the cardinal and bishops.
  • Wow. I couldn't make it more than about 20 seconds into the Pater Noster without stopping the video.

And here I was just reflecting on the notion that 'in song, many become one'. I endorse that idea, but they weren't even in the same zip code ('postcode' for the Brits ;-) )
  • chonakchonak
    Another moment to check is the Palestrina Tu es Petrus:
    https://youtu.be/rI4BKYLriGM?t=20m

The melismas seemed to be sung with aspirations, extra 'h's, between notes, though of course I could be mistaken.
  • Kathy
    We've already discussed, like a million times, how amplification that sounds just right inside a church can lose all its balance when the television sound engineers get involved. It is very difficult to know how things got quite so out of whack for the broadcast.

Another consideration: routine liturgies are easy to organize. Weekly Masses have a routine to them, and a standard staff, and often enough, one chief organizer. None of that is the case during a week like this, and I think everyone involved deserves plenty of slack simply for collaborating on such a scale, even before providing some moments of excellent and prayerful music.

Anyone who has ever tried to pull three or four choirs together on the parish level knows just a percentage of the degree of difficulty of this week's accomplishments.
    Thanked by 2G PaxMelodious
  • I'm not being at all catty, Kathy - but we have also discussed and observed many, many, times that 'cantors' and microphones are poison whether it is a routine week day mass, an ordinary Sunday mass, or a solemnity mass, or a papal mass. Cantors and microphones are bad company - always. And this, of all possible occasions, was a very, very bad, extremely poor example to those churches who are most in need of a good example. This gentleman didn't even have enough sense to tone himself down, way down, and follow the choir and the organ.

Too many of these would-be cantors are in love with their own voices and seem to believe that if they can't hear their voices the people aren't/won't sing. Of course, they would never know whether the people are singing because their voice is all that can be heard - and no sane person would bother competing with it.
    Thanked by 1cmb
  • hmmm - Its interesting that all those masses and services I watch from the Vatican, never seem to have a problem, even when they use a cantor! Isn't St Peter's Basilica bigger than St. Pat's? LOL And by the way, the Americans commentators at the Vatican talk too much as well on tv broadcast.

I hope I never come across as "HIGH AND MIGHTY." That's a judgment call left to GOD, right? At my age and experience with acoustics and electronics as well as a former professional choirmaster, organist, conductor, composer, orchestral and choral director, orchestral instrumentalist, vocal teacher and coach, celebrant and master of ceremonies, perhaps I am in a good position to make critical evaluations! Nevertheless, I am simply a child of GOD wanting to do my very best in praising, adoring and worshiping God through Christ Jesus and hoping others will want to do the same.

Last time I checked, Vespers were for GOD and not us, nor the media, nor entertainers nor personages, whether they be prelate or pauper.
  • tomjaw
    This evening in Westminster abbey they will be singing Evensong,
    http://www.westminster-abbey.org/music/choral-services

You can click through to see what they are singing tomorrow etc.

If the church of England is not to your taste, the Catholic Cathedral just up the road has this,
    http://www.westminstercathedralchoir.com/latest-music-lists.php

I have just looked at the Website for St. Patrick's and I could see no reference to a Music list OR any reference that Vespers is sung even weekly.

It really is not fair to compare St. Patrick's to either of the above! If you are singing Evensong every day or Vespers several times a week, of course you are going to be better at organising a service.
  • 'It really is not fair...'

It is, too, fair - because the likes of St Patrick's is, ought to be, one of several American equivalents of Westminster Cathedral and Westminster Abbey, or the London Oratory, or Kings. There is no excuse. None at all.

And, since the abbot posted Benedict's visit to the abbey several years ago, one might be forgiven for being astounded that we have in the Catholic Church an innumerable population of clerks and musicians who can observe the likes of what the abbot posted above and be clueless that they have seen and heard a paradigm for all. They just don't get it.
  • tomjaw
    MJO

I was going to write that St. Patrick's should have Vespers at least once a week, so they would not have this problem.

I was rather surprised that the Music section of St. Patrick's implied that they have a very poor attitude to Sacred Music. Are the rest of the Cathedrals in the U.S.A similar? What about your version of the church of England are they any better?
  • chonakchonak
    Before the cathedral's Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Pope Benedict's prayer began:
    "Lord God, you hold both heaven and earth in a single peace",
    seeming to evoke "heaven and earth in little space",
    that is, the bearer of peace, the womb of the Virgin Mary,
    as described in the words of the Advent hymn.

Fittingly Msgr. Andrew Burnham, when he was still Anglican Bishop of Ebbsfleet,
    used that phrase to title his book on 'the re-enchantment of liturgy'.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • chonakchonak
    tomjay, they put a lot of effort and probably money into music at St. Patrick's, but at big events like this one (and at Christmas) the guest opera performers sing in their own dramatic manner, which I think is not well suited to the liturgy.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw melofluent
  • "Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened, and the ears of the deaf
    unstopped. Then shall the lame man leap as an hart, and the tongue of the
    dumb shall sing." (Isaiah 35:5-6)

Thank you! MJO Yes, they just don't get it, do they.
  • CharlesW
    Pope? What pope? Vespers too? I must have been busy walking, reading, practicing organ, drinking wonderful oolong and having excellent dark chocolate. Popes and windbag cardinals come and they go. Blessed be the name of the Lord. Did I miss anything of importance for the salvation of souls and the eternal good of the Church? Probably not.
  • I have offended a few by saying this, but I don't believe a cantor has a place in any liturgy except Jewish.
  • CharlesW
    I have offended a few by saying this, but I don't believe a cantor has a place in any liturgy except Jewish.

I use a cantor at masses where the choir is not present. They are in the loft with me, not performing in the front.
  • cmb
    @tomjaw The Episcopal Church in the USA is a mixed-up mess, but there are some bright spots. Particularly, St. John the Divine, just 4 miles away from St. Pat's. A fully formed choir school, choral evensong every Sunday. Here's their fall/winter lineup: http://www.stjohndivine.org/files/uploads/2015-16_September_to_Ash_Wednesday.pdf
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomjaw
  • BruceL
    I really hesitate to get into a Monday morning quarterbacking thing with "one-time" events like this, but listening to the Palestrina that @chonak posted, it's pretty obvious that they're close-mic'd because of the size of the gallery at St. Pat's. For sure, the tonal style is a little different than I'd go for, but they are of course singing for the congregation assembled downstairs, not for mics that are 5 feet away. Our room requires singing (almost uncomfortably) forward: from 5 feet away, it probably sounds like crap. Sounds pretty good 50 feet away.

The cantor thing is one of those weird American Catholic "just because" things. Otherwise great, sensible clergy will often proffer the fact that a cantor wasn't up front for a solution to a variety of musical ills, sort of like bleeding a patient back in the pre-real medicine days. It's crazy. As a convert, I just don't get it. I don't mind it that much when a choir is not present, but who knows.
  • I was going to write that St. Patrick's should have Vespers at least once a week, so they would not have this problem.

St. Patrick's doesn't care. They are landmark, not a leader in anything...even so JP has done a tremendous job in improving the state of music. in the 1960's they had a Hammond organ down front.

People who love liturgy and fine music go to St. Mary the Virgin or St. Thomas. They get it and draw people in and are not tourist stops.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • davido
    The role of "cantor" in the American church is not at all correctly named. Cantors, including the gentleman at St. Patrick's last night, are functioning as song leaders. The term "cantor" has a long history and many historical definitions, but acting as song leader is not one of them. The "song leader" role of cantor is an unnecessary idea cooked up by the Spirit of Vatican II, predicated on a false idea of community. It creates the same personality cult problem that exists in modern times with the priest.
    The genius of choral and congregation singing - the sort of singing characterizing the church throughout the ages, and the style that should be taken as the starting point for any church music - is that the ego disappears, and the Body of Christ is one in song.

That said, with the multitude of parochial masses requiring music these days, it is not possible to have a choir at all of them. Thus, having a single voice (cantor) standing in for the whole choir can be helpful. However, they should be located were the choir is normally located and should NEVER use a microphone. And two cantors singing together would be better than one.

Regarding operatic singing, St. Patrick's is a big place. Bel-canto technique is the best way to make enough sound to be heard in that large of a room, while maintaining an attractive and even sound throughout the entire range.
    A recording of a large voice never accurately represent the actual sound of the voice in the room. The mic cannot capture all the overtones, and leaves us with an impression of the voice that is not at all true to the reality of the sound in a large space.

The Laudate Dominum was very well done. The performance was not presentational, the soloist was out of sight in the gallery. The solo voice vs the choir functioned musically much like solo vs ensemble stops on the organ (a solo must of course be louder than the ensemble to be heard over it). TV spoiled this a bit by the mic-ing and by a close-up of the soprano.
    Thanked by 2hilluminar tomjaw
  • SalieriSalieri
    Cantors most certainly have a liturgical place! At Mass, they intone the Introit and Communion Antiphons, and intone the psalmody of the same; they sing the versicles of the Gradual, Alleluia, and Offertory Responsories; In the Office, they intone the antiphons, psalms and versicles. They have their liturgical place - and incidentally its really the same place as the cantor in Jewish services.

What does Not have a place are "cantors", that is song leaders/soloists.
  • I’ll bite and say the Mozart is overdone...
  • davido
    Right Salieri! The true role of the cantor is as choir leader and choir soloist, not song leader!
  • Liam
    It's not the BIG Apple for nuthin', ya know? And the Irish dominance in the Northeast has long proudly disdained an English aesthetic - it's not that they don't "get it", oh, they get it all right, and throw it right back at you. The last thing Irish Catholics wanted to do was to ape English liturgical practice, and the residue of that persists in American Catholic soil. Unlike, say, Boston, where theatre was long resisted or looked down upon, NYC actually has a strong history of theatrical subcultures, and those have had a certain purchase in the liturgical music culture, amplified by being the center of the music publishing industry for many generations. Start spreading the news...

Thanked by 2JulieColl CHGiffen
  • Vespers with coped cantors, incense, and chant can be done. We do the simple form (no cantors) at the Colloquium, but at Sacra Liturgia in NYC and at the FOTA Conference in Ireland they have Pontifical Vespers (though regrettably, last year the serving was painful). The D.C. Oratory does Solemn Vespers weekly.

It was odd to see the deacon incense the altar... My theory as to why the ministers move in such a relaxed way is because they have to think about how to move when the ritual has all been stripped away and when expectations have changed (like the necessity of a microphone).
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    It highlights a seriously deficient sacerdotal training. I get the impression, right or wrong, that some clerics believe the liturgy is just as much a religious *celebration* as it is a vehicle for self-aggrandisement, and it's almost certainly not their fault.

I really believe the problem lies not with them, but with the fact that they have never been taught much about the ars celebrandi.
  • Liam
    Regarding the lack of disciplined movement in Roman liturgy: Romans typically do not process like Anglicans (and, it should be noted, that Anglican discipline may have been a creation of the 19th century). It's been this way for a long time. Even under Benedict XVI, while his immediate group of MCs were very disciplined, that ethos never seemed to obtain durable purchase outside that core. There are eddies in the Catholic world where it does, but they appear to be the exceptions, not the rule.
  • JahazaJahaza
    Vespers with coped cantors, incense, and chant can be done. We do the simple form (no cantors) at the Colloquium, but at Sacra Liturgia in NYC and at the FOTA Conference in Ireland they have Pontifical Vespers (though regrettably, last year the serving was painful). The D.C. Oratory does Solemn Vespers weekly.

We've been doing weekly vespers across town from St. Patrick's at Holy Innocents with cantors (though not in copes), incense and chant (Liber Usualis) for about 4 years.

Yeah, what happened to choir dress for cardinals and bishops, that was just embarrassing!
    Thanked by 2canadash BruceL
  • I noticed at one point when Pope Francis was celebrating in Korea that Marini had to nudge a server to move. Server movements are highly dependent on the celebrant and there's just no way to know the pace and positions the pope and his entourage demands without having served with them before.
  • G
    St. John the Divine, just 4 miles away ....choral evensong every Sunday
    Of what deity or deities do they implore help and assistance? ;o)
    The cantor thing is one of those weird American Catholic "just because" things. Otherwise great, sensible clergy will often proffer the fact that a cantor wasn't up front for a solution to a variety of musical ills
    There's also a lot of weirdness spread by Workshop-givers, symposium-facilitators and diocesan Offices of Palaver Worship and others who have studied in the South Bend area.
    We had people quit the music ministry because the diocesan lay ministry czar objected to the curve of their arms as being "insufficently welcoming" when they "brought the People in." Not kidding.
    Some of the music for various events this week stuck me initially as over the top, but taking into account the behavior and volume of those who were there to root for the home team pray, they may have been wise programming choices.
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Jahaza, I did not know that. Great!

G, I hate the arm raising thing, but, uh, that kind of criticism makes me angry. It shows how dysfunctional we are.