• Anybody got any leads in the East Central Indiana (Muncie, Winchester, New Castle, Anderson, Gaston, Yorktown) area? I might even go as far north as Marion or as far south as Richmond, but I think I need a change of venue. @Wendi, I'm in the process of taking your advice. I'm looking for DM, paid accompanist, or paid cantor positions. I think I've just had enough of where I currently am. For those who know me personally on this site, it's not the school job: I love teaching and I wouldn't give those kids up for the world.
    Thanked by 1sergeantedward
  • I can help you out in Greencastle, but that's the wrong side of Indy...
  • WendiWendi
    I'm so sorry its come to that. I wish I could help you, but I don't know of anything in your area.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    I'm bumping this because I'm renewing my efforts to find a new place to go. Anybody got any leads? I'm in Central Indiana (Muncie, Anderson, Yorktown, Winchester, Gaston, etc.) Again, I might go as far north as Marion and as far south as Richmond. Thank you.
  • ClergetKubisz, I just sent you a PM.
  • CGM
    I don't know Indiana. But either of these posts from the NPM website look interesting?

Director of Music and Liturgy
    Saint Augustine and Most Sacred Heart of Jesus
    315 E. Chestnut Street, Jeffersonville, IN 47130
    Phone: (812) 282-2677
    Email: jeffersonvillepriest@gmail.com
    Websites: www.saintaug.org & www.sacredheart-church.com
    HLP-8250 Posted 7/14/15

The Catholic Community of Jeffersonville consists of two clustered parishes, St. Augustine and Sacred Heart. Combined, they are a large suburban parish with over 1,400 families and a school with 250 students with two beautiful worship sites, one very old and one very new. Responsibilities include: Organization of overall worship and music ministry, piano and organ musicianship at parish and school Masses, recruitment and development of adult and children’s choirs as well as cantors. He or she also provides leadership to the parish liturgy committees. Bachelors or higher in music plus parish experience is preferred. Email for detailed job description.

Director of Liturgy and Music
    Queen of Peace Catholic Church and School
    4508 Vistula Road, Mishawaka, IN 46544
    Phone: (574) 255-9674
    E-mail: lhaverty@queenofpeace.cc
    HLP-8244 Posted 06/26/15

Full-time, 900 family parish. Responsibilities include overseeing liturgical music at four weekend Masses and one weekly school Mass, coordinating liturgical ministries, teaching K-8 general music in our grade school. Excellent opportunity to lead strong choral program with dedicated and talented singers/students. Resources include Rodgers electronic organ and Yamaha baby grand, Gather Comprehensive II hymnal. Bachelor’s degree in music/liturgy or equivalent required. Salary commensurate with training and experience. Position will be open August 3, apply now. Email résumé and cover letter in PDF format and address correspondence to Fr. John Eze, pastor.
  • [With the indulgence of the administrator]:

What sorts of language should newbies look for, so that they can read between the lines? To ask the question from a different point of view, how can prospective employers signal clearly what kinds of people, what kinds of liturgical attitudes, what kind of...... they are trying to find?

I read these

Catholic Community of Jeffersonville

overall worship and music ministry

provides leadership to the parish liturgy committees

overseeing liturgical music

coordinating liturgical ministries,

Rodgers electronic organ and Yamaha baby grand, Gather Comprehensive II hymnal

as indications of the sort of place which would cause serious musicians who wish to do what the Church asks us to do (and also, those who want to take orders from the pastor, only) to think twice about applying.

I'm not trying to pick on either of these postings, just trying to take the frustration our OP expresses and the language of the postings themselves as a starting point for fruitful discussion.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • melofluentmelofluent
    as indications of the sort of place which would cause serious musicians who wish to do what the Church asks us to do (and also, those who want to take orders from the pastor, only) to think twice about applying.

Chris, who are any of us to determine what constitutes a "serious" much less orthodox musician for an opportunity to effect expressly what the Church asks? The seed falls on sandy soil, rocky soil, fertile soil, etc. Are you prepared to eschew the efforts of a well-(in)formed, capable musician who would be willing to proceed through whatever gauntlets that are presented to any DM, regardless of jingoism or pastoral semantics?
  • Charles,

I'm not trying to start a fight. Our colleague expressed frustration, and we have people hereabouts who quote/cite from Sheep Attack.

As to "who are any of us" -- I'm nobody, and I'm well aware of that fact.

Cheers,

Chris
    Thanked by 2francis melofluent
  • Kathy
    I absolutely agree that these catchphrases are indicative of an almost certainly frustrating situation.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • kevinfkevinf
    Jeffersonville is not far from me (maybe 35 minutes). I would certainly be happy to check it out for you.
  • Liam
    Yes, those phrases read to me: you will be a moderator/facilitator of several different constituencies, but not really a leader with authority to change and implement policy, as it were.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I appreciate Chris' clarification. Based upon years of similar conversations on this and other boards, is there any reasonable expectation of any ecclesial careers that won't prompt serious frustration? Chris' citation of When Sheep Attack is endemic across the entire institutional church landscape. Additionally, Liam's observation is particularly apt in light of the recent difficulties and outcome regarding the ouster (self imposed or not) of the Philadelphia cathedral/diocesan DMM and his prelate. "Well, if it could happen to...."
    Frustration, it seems to me, is akin to fear in that in itself, there is no loss or gain. What matters is how one navigates and negotiates "frustrating situations." And like Chris, I am also nobody to call upon for advice in such matters, being often more a frustrator than frustratee.
    In the light of this thread, I'd like to remind us all to pray for our colleague David Andrew, who has asked for prayers as he faces a career decision.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Caleferink
    Being originally from Indiana (Evansville, precisely), I can let you know at least where these places listed are, and unfortunately I don't think they fall within @ClergetKubisz geographical desires. Jeffersonville is just north of Louisville (170 miles south of Muncie), and Mishawaka is just east of South Bend (about 150 miles northwest of Muncie).
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    @Kevin, the 812 is a little too far for me: it is south of Indy, and I live about 45 minutes to the northeast of Indy. I appreciate your offer to help though, that's very kind of you.