The 18 Masses of the GR
  • francis
    Is there a general outline or rubric for which Masses are performed during which seasons? I want to do all 18.
  • PhatFlute
    Joke here : what does one call a Roman wo/man who take long times to complete tasks ? Three word answer but can't remember third word. A ______ ______ ________.

Answer here : A Gradual Roman um...
  • chonakchonak
    If I remenber aright, Francis, most of those guidelines were dropped. You can download the book from the CMAA resources page and have a look.

It wouldn't hurt to follow the old rules, of course, if you can devise a way to apply them to the new calendar with its new system of ranking days.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Some of those GR Masses were composed for Ferial Days, so if you're just doing Sundays and trying to follow the old guidelines (which isn't required, I know), that would preclude doing all 18.
  • if you can devise a way to apply them to the new calendar with its new system of ranking days

The post-reform editions (GR/GT) contain, at each Mass set, the indications adapted to the new ranking. If I am not mistaken, it is written in the Preface of the book that these are just recommendations, even more so since these are editions by Solesmes, not Vatican.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • MatthewRoth
    But, St. Peter’s expects choirs singing there to follow the GR assignments. So YMMV.
  • francis
    Thanks all for chiming in. I am wondering if anyone has done the research on applying old calender to the new calender and made the list. If not, I guess its on me.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    You can download the book from the CMAA resources page and have a look.

Which book, exactly?
    Thanked by 1francis
  • chonakchonak
    The Graduale Romanum 1974.
  • francis
    Have that one. Not sure where to find info.
  • Hugh
    My 1961 Liber Usualis, at p. 78, after all 18 Masses and 6 Creeds, but before the "Ad Libitum" Chant masses, has this text:

"This Ordinary is NOT meant to be a matter of hard and fast rule: chants from one Mass may be used together with those from others, the Ferial Masses excepted. In the same way, in order to add greater solemnity, one or more of the following "Chants ad libitum" may be employed." (Emphasis in original text.)

I take it from this that, Ferial masses excepted, one may mix and match ad libitum, not only mass settings as a whole (Kyrie/Gloria/Sanctus/Ag Dei ) but individual compositions as well (e.g. Kyrie from Mass V, Gloria from Mass VI, etc) even at E.F. Masses.

I personally prefer to stick with the suggested mass/season settings in the Liber - eg, using only Masses IX and X for Our Lady, etc. I'd like to think that, eventually, your average time-challenged Catholic, walking into church slightly late (tutt, tutt) will hear the strains of the Kyrie Mass IX and think "Ah! It must be a Feast of Our Lady!", or Kyrie Mass I and gasp, "Heavens! Are we still in Paschaltide?"
  • chonakchonak
    Francis, the GR '74 has notations for some of the 18 standard settings. On page 710, Mass I is marked for Easter season; IV is marked for feasts of Apostles; IX is marked for feasts and solemnities of our Lady; X is marked for feasts and memorials of our Lady; XI is marked for Sundays of Ordinary Time; XIII and XIV are also options for Sundays OT. XVI is marked for ferias of OT. XVII is for Sundays of Advent and Lent; XVIII is for ferias of Advent and Lent and for Masses of the Dead.

The rest, II, III, V, VI, VII, VIII, XII, and XV, have no indication of a suggested assignment.

However, in the GR '61 they all have some assignment to this or that: feasts of the first class, second class, etc.

As Hugh indicates above, these assignments were only recommendations under the old rubrics, except for the ferial masses. Following the hermeneutic of continuity, I expect that the same freedom to substitute among the 18 masses exists, or perhaps even more freedom.

If you want to put them all into practice, I hope this information helps you devise a plan.
  • francis
    Thanx chonak. That is extremely helpful.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I've always thought Mass II, Missa Fons Bonitatis, is a good choice for Pentecost because of the original tropes in the Kyrie:

Kyrie, Spiritus alme, cohærens Patri Natoque, unius usiæ consistendo flans ab utroque: eleison.
    Kyrie, qui baptizato in Jordanis unda Christo, effulgens specie columbina apparuisti: eleison.
    Kyrie, ignis divine, pectora nostra succende, ut digni(e) pariter te laudare (proclamare) possimus semper: eleison.

P.S. Some interesting info on Mass VII, Missa Rex Splendens, here.

This is a splendid idea to research a suggested timeline for using the Kyriale. Perhaps digging up the tropes of the Kyrie of each Mass might give some additional clues.
    Thanked by 2francis CHGiffen
  • francis
    Juliecol

Do you know where I might find the tropes in other resources?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Good question, Francis. Wish I knew. I found the tropes from Mass II on Wikipedia, but can't find them very easily for the others. It would be great to find them since the names for the Masses come from the tropes, if I'm not mistaken. Knowing the tropes would also give more insight into the music, I would imagine.

I very much like Mass V, for instance, and would like to know what is the inspiration for its festive, lively character.
  • tomjaw
    This book has the tropes from the Graduale...

http://www.amazon.com/Tropen-zum-Kyrie-Graduale-Romanum/dp/3830674686

Also I think one of the volumes of the Analecta Hymnica has them listed... Will have a look when I have more time.

EDIT.
    https://archive.org/stream/analectahymnica47drevuoft#page/n47/mode/2up

Mass V, Kyrie Magnae Deus potentiae, can be found on pg. 158 OR n161 OR no.99. Enjoy!
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Many thanks for the book of tropes, Tomjaw! It's a real treasure. I found Magnae Deus Potentiae, and it's heavenly poetry indeed. The tropes for Rex Splendor are also glorious:

Thanked by 1francis