Needed Resources for the Divine Office
  • Chant resources for the Mass in English are a help in fostering a vibrant liturgical life for parishes and individuals (e.g. English Gradual, etc.) I think it would also be better to undertake some projects for the Divine Office (EF and OF)... like having an Office Hymnal (English hymns of the Divine Office in Gregorian melodies), an English Antiphonary for the Liturgy of the Hours using Gregorian melodies and the like. It will be of great help to those communities / parishes who wish to pray the Office using the Church's chant...

Thank you very much!
    Thanked by 2Kathy bcb
  • Kathy
    Adoremus, the forthcoming Lumen Christi Hymnal will include a full annual cycle of Lauds and Vespers hymns in translation, set to Gregorian melodies.

An Antiphonary is an excellent idea as well.
  • I hope and pray that this wonderful Hymnal will be made available online.
  • awilliamsawilliams
    I am working on it. It it taking some time but I am making progress. Here is all of Advent, a little Christmas, the 4 week psalter and the psalm tones.
  • @ awilliams
    That is a wonderful and much-needed resource... I'm praying and looking forward to its completion...
  • Under my instigation, Rev. Ormonde Plater has begun updating his english version of the Psalter for the Antiphonale Monasticum (2007-2009 edition) to the revised grail psalms and abbreviated canticles of taken from the New American Bible (and a few ICEL Texts). Other than the newly introduced revised grail psalms every single canticle text will be identical to the current edition of the Liturgy of the Hours, although an RSV Catholic edition translation will be included as an optional form for the Benedictus, because the current text being used from the ICEL is clearly not fulfilling the accurate translation requirements of Liturgiam Authenticam. (Technically even the revised grail psalms could be argued as overly paraphrased, though much improved over the originals.)

The estimation for completion for this Psalter that follows the official Roman Catholic ordinary english texts is 3 to 4 monthes. You may look for it on his website in by March or April of this year (it may even be completed by February if work proceeds quickly). He is also going to post the Magnificat and Benedictus in fully notated fauxbourdon/chant settings in each of the eight modes.

http://www.oplater.net/

I had long complained that for years there was no good modern divine office book that conformed to official texts which included the historic antiphons and hymns, other than the Mundelein psalter, which actually hard included many for singing, only text. It will be immensely fulfilling and rewarding when this task is completed.

I am happy to see what "Awilliams" has done, but I don't find the texts to be adapted nearly as well as either Ormondes work, which uses much of the same contemporary languages or earlier anglican sources. The anglicans are hard to beat.

Thanked by 1Adoremus
  • ronkrisman
    There has been much written about the success, or lack thereof, of the postconciliar revision of the Liturgy of the Hours, about the differences between "cathedral" and "monastic" hours, etc. I do not wish to enter those debates.

However, I do not understand how some individuals can say, in effect, "I am not pleased with the approved liturgical books (either the pre-conciliar ones [with that lousy neo-Vulgate psalter] or post-conciliar ones), and so I am going to put together my own, and I hope you'all will use them."
  • For people who are not bound to pray the Office but do it only for pleasure, such a thing might make sense. (I doubt, though, that there are enough such people to make creating such a resource a very worthwhile endeavor). Also, for people who do not care much about the approval (by the hierarchical church) of liturgical books.
  • awilliamsawilliams
    There are many different arguments as to how to properly adapt these chants so there will be different results from different people. I am aware of Rev. Plater's work (and have printed copies at my disposal for reference).

In my own work, I have set two goals. The first is to create an approachable adaptation of the Antiphonale Romanum using the official English texts of the Liturgy of the Hours so that it can be readily used by clerics and particularly parishes who wish to respond to the Second Vatican Council's call to offer the principle hours for the public on Sundays and Feast days.

The second goal deals more so with the actual method of adaption. While I make serious attempts to preserve the original melodies of the chants, this is not my ultimate goal. When the latin texts were set to chant, much time was given to allow the music and the text to exist in a sort of bond which produces one spiritual thought. Thus, at least in my mind, to attempt to preserve the Latin melodies for the sake of the melodies fails to meet the true purpose of the chant which is to assist in the prayer of the text. Instead, in my own adaptations, I attempt to find some sense of the intent of the composer and preserve that. This sometimes requires me to restructure an antiphon. Admittedly, this is not an approach many people prefer (I have recently had a conversation with some of the monks of Clear Creek Abbey who certainly disagreed with my approach) but there is just something about favoring the melody over the text which doesn't agree with me.

Thus, while I do agree that Anglicans are hard to beat when it comes to English music, I think the Church's tradition of sung prayer is adaptable to our vernacular. It will not sound quite the same, but it will serve its purpose. After all, if I wanted to reproduce the Latin I could just sing the Latin.
    Thanked by 1smvanroode
  • RobertRobert
    ronkrisman wrote:

There has been much written about the success, or lack thereof, of the postconciliar revision of the Liturgy of the Hours, about the differences between "cathedral" and "monastic" hours, etc. I do not wish to enter those debates.

However, I do not understand how some individuals can say, in effect, "I am not pleased with the approved liturgical books (either the pre-conciliar ones [with that lousy neo-Vulgate psalter] or post-conciliar ones), and so I am going to put together my own, and I hope you'all will use them."

I may be missing something, but I don't understand, is there any individual on this thread actually saying or doing this?

I've read the thread over a couple of times and it seems to me we're discussing setting existing approved liturgical texts to music, as there is a dearth of good musical settings--not creating new versions of the Office that differ from the approved texts.

Are you saying that only published, bound volumes are appropriate for liturgical use? Is it inappropriate, for example, for Adam Bartlett to be releasing musical settings of texts from the Missal here in advance of their publication with ecclesiastical approval in a bound volume?
  • chonakchonak
    If only the liturgists of the 1960's and 1970's had been so circumspect and so faithful to the approved editions! Such consideration would have restrained them from imposing their own inventions on the faithful.

If they'd kept fidelity to the approved editions foremost in mind, the bad old ICEL never would have foisted their invented "alternative opening prayers" on us; nor would they have dared to invent any new structures such as the "psalm-prayer", non-existent in the approved Latin LOTH.

The old ICEL was in a position like that of some newer groups now, making adaptations and perhaps inventions, with the wish of getting them approved some day.
    Thanked by 1Chris_McAvoy
  • ronkrisman
    The question I posed has nothing to do with praising the work of the "old ICEL" or extolling that of the "new ICEL."

We all know that the "new ICEL" has announced plans to revise the English translation of the Liturgy of the Hours some day. Exactly when, who knows for sure? In the meantime, if someone wants to make a musical setting of some or all of the LOTH (which is well and good), the present approved text is the one to use. That's all that I was implying in my question.

Unless it is the approved text used in Canada's edition of the Liturgy of the Hours, there is no justification that I can see for using the NRSV Benedictus translation as an alternate to the ICET (not ICEL) translation. No one can predict what the planned ICEL revision will contain, but it's a safe bet that NRSV translations of the Gospel canticles won't be part of it.
  • Good grief.

Fr. Krisman,

In a 250 page book you are letting a very tiny addition bother you.
    All texts are there that match the official texts the ICET Benedictus that should be there is there, but afterwards the same canticle, for that canticle alone, and no other, is included in the RSV 2nd CE text from Ignatius Press.

It has long been known that Religious can make use of different texts approved for Liturgical Use with the approval of their ordinary. The inclusive language psalter produced by Carmelites of Indianapolis "COMPANION TO THE BREVIARY" also does not match official texts, yet it is approved for their lay/third order carmelites to use, despite it's numerous inaccurate translations.

Both the NAB and RSV 2nd CE are accurate translations of the Latin words. The 1973 ICEL text misses several key words of importance. The words of the RSV text sing much more smoothly. The RSV 2nd Catholic edition text is an approved lectionary text for the Personal Ordinariates of the Anglican use in the Roman Catholic Church as well as most english speaking Catholics of the carribbean islands. What is the harm in including this as an option below the ICEL text ?

http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19631204_sacrosanctum-concilium_en.html

It is, moreover, fitting that the office, both in choir and in common, be sung when possible.

100. Pastors of souls should see to it that the chief hours, especially Vespers, are celebrated in common in church on Sundays and the more solemn feasts. And the laity, too, are encouraged to recite the divine office, either with the priests, or among themselves, or even individually.

101. 1. In accordance with the centuries-old tradition of the Latin rite, the Latin language is to be retained by clerics in the divine office. But in individual cases the ordinary has the power of granting the use of a vernacular translation to those clerics for whom the use of Latin constitutes a grave obstacle to their praying the office properly. The vernacular version, however, must be one that is drawn up according to the provision of Art. 36.

2. The competent superior has the power to grant the use of the vernacular in the celebration of the divine office, even in choir, to nuns and to members of institutes dedicated to acquiring perfection, both men who are not clerics and women. The version, however, must be one that is approved.

3. Any cleric bound to the divine office fulfills his obligation if he prays the office in the vernacular together with a group of the faithful or with those mentioned in 52 above provided that the text of the translation is approved.

With knowledge of these rules, I am not understanding how the including of a single instance of RSV translation in addition to and below the ICET translation is violating any rule.

THE CANTICLE OF ZECHARIAH (1973 ICET translation)

St. Luke i. 68-79 Benedictus Dominus, Deus Israel

+ BLESS-ED be the Lord God of Is-ra-el; *
    he has come to his peo-ple and set them free.
    2. He has rais-ed up for us a mighty saviour, *
    born of the house of his servant Da- vid;
    3. Through his ho- ly prophets *
    he promis-ed of old
    4. That he would save us from our en- e- mies,
    from the hands of all who hate us.
    5. He promis-ed to show mer-cy to our fa-thers, *
    and to remember his ho- ly cov-e-nant;
    6/7. This was the oath he swore to our father A-braham: *
    to set us free from the hands of our en- e-mies,
    7/8. Free to worship him without fear, *
    ho-ly and righteous in his sight
    all the days of our life.
    9. You, my child, shall be called the prophet of the Most High; *
    for you will go before the Lord to prepare his way,
    10. To give his people knowledge of sal-va-tion *
    by the forgive-ness of their sins.
    11. In the tender compassion of our God *
    the dawn from on high shall break upon us,
    12. To shine on those who dwell in darkness and the sha-dow of death, *
    and to guide our feet in- to the way of peace.

Glory to the Fa- ther, and to the Son, *
    and to the Ho- ly Spi - rit.
    As it was in the be- gin-ning, *
    is now, and will be for- ev- er. A- men.

(RSV 2nd CE translation)

St. Luke i. 68-79 Benedictus Dominus, Deus Israel

+ BLESS-ED be the Lord God of Is- ra- el; *
    for He has vis-i-ted and redeem-ed His peo-ple;
    2. And has raised up a horn of sal- va-tion for us, *
    in the house of His ser-vant Da- vid;
    3. As He spoke by the mouth of His ho- ly Pro- phets, *
    from of old,
    4. That we should be sav-ed from our en- e- mies, *
    and from the hand of all who hate us.
    5. To per-form the mercy promised to our fa- thers,
    * and to remember His ho- ly cov- e- nant;
    6. The oath which He swore to our fa-ther A- braham, *
    (and) to grant us;
    7. That we, being delivered from the hand of our en- e- mies *
    might serve Him without fear;
    8. In ho- li-ness and righteousness be-fore him, *
    all the days of our life.
    9. And you, child, will be called the Pro- phet of the Most High: *
    for you will go before the face of the Lord to prepare His ways ;
    10. To give knowledge of salvation to His peo-ple *
    in the for- giveness of their sins,
    11. Through the tender mer- cy of our God; *
    when the day shall dawn up-on us from on high ;
    12. To give light to those who sit in darkness,
    and in the sha-dow of death, *
    to guide our feet in-to the way of peace.

Glory to the Fa- ther, and to the Son, *
    and to the Ho- ly Spi - rit.
    As it was in the be- gin-ning, *
    is now, and will be for- ev- er. A- men.

• Awilliams, restructuring the melody of an antiphon is done by everyone who adapts english text to fit the melodies from latin words. I do not think that in principle you are doing anything very differently that Mr. Plater or anyone else who creates english versions of latin chants. If you are doing something differently, it may be hard to explain exactly what it is.

I only think that it takes many years to hone the skills to do it well. When I first began attempts at it I made many mistakes. It helps to carefully study others work and actually sing it for some time , and also sing the latin versions for some time to develop the skills to do it. I think Aristotle Esguerra followed some words of advice from Bruce Ford of Newark, NJ, who with Fr. Columba Kelly and Fr. Samuel Weber are the three most prolific respected adaptors of latin to english chant.

As they say beggars can't be choosers. I am glad that you are doing the hard of making a form for the official liturgy of hours english text for singing that follows the historic melodies. I know of no way to improve it other than continueing to do it, and singing it with other people and asking what they think also, so keep it up, it's good enough.
  • Kathy
    I suppose if James Quinn's metrical Benedictus and Magnificat, or Carl Daw's, or David Haas', can be included in a hymnal, then it might be just fine to include a different translation.

Honestly.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ronkrisman
    Not if someone is wanting to do a musical setting of a liturgical book or excerpt thereof, which a hymnal is not.

Honestly.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Granted that the ICET/ICEL is the standard, since the RSV is approved/preferred for certain jurisdictions, I don't see why it shouldn't be included, at least with a caveat like "Benedictus : Text for use in the Anglican Ordinariate of the Chair of St. Peter".

And if a group of Roman Use laymen - who are not legally bound to the office - wish to sing that rather than the ICET, so be it.
  • ronkrisman
    Salieri, this is not a question about what one sings, but what gets published.

Before anyone can publish (physically or electronically) an approved liturgical book in the USA, it must be reviewed by the USCCB Liturgy Secretariat to guarantee that it conforms to the text approved by the USCCB and confirmed by the Apostolic See. If it does, a concordat cum originali is granted.

The intended publication must also receive a license from ICEL to use its copyrighted texts, whether there are going to be royalties paid for that licensed use or not.

If someone wants to publish a version of the Hours using the ICEL-translated antiphons from the Liturgia Horarum along with some sort of inclusive-language psalter used in the daily prayer of some community of consecrated religious, he or she is never going to get the requisite permissions. I realize this is an extreme example, but even in the case of the NRSV Benedictus, not approved for use in the USA's Liturgy of the Hours (as I stated above, I don't know if that's also true for Canada), the USCCB's Liturgy Secretariat will not allow it to be used in a book which represents itself as being the approved liturgical book; in other words, it will not grant the concordat cum originali. And ICEL will not grant a license for the use of its copyrighted texts if any conference of bishops using ICEL texts in their approved liturgical books informs ICEL that said book proposed for publication does not fully conform to the approved text.
    Thanked by 2Ignoto eft94530
  • Kathy
    Chris, I think you should be careful not to present yourself as an approved liturgical book.
  • ronkrisman
    Kathy, IMO it's not that simple since Fr. Plater has already set to music a boatload of ICEL-copyrighted texts. Chris wants to use the approved texts, but he also wants to add one text that is not part of those approved texts.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • chonakchonak
    With the variety of sources on which Fr. Plater draws, he'll have to observe the copyright policies of several organizations.

Would the Church actually want to apply the canons on publishing to a non-Catholic? I'm not sure about it. If they don't apply, then perhaps copyright permission agreements would be the only means of regulating what is done with approved texts by a non-Catholic. (I'm sure Fr. K can answer this; he doesn't mention his JCL often, but it can be handy at times.)

Thanked by 1Ignoto
  • ronkrisman
    Chonak: I've just re-read everything on this thread, and I'm wondering if I even understand correctly what Chris means when he states, "Rev. Ormonde Plater has begun updating his english version of the Psalter [my emphasis] for the Antiphonale Monasticum (2007-2009 edition)."

I certainly do not want to add any further confusion to this discussion if the subject is only psalms and canticles used in the 2007-2009 Antiphonale Monasticum. Perhaps I have confused Fr. Plater's project with that of awilliams, which appears to be a chant setting of evening prayer ! and II and morning prayer from the ICEL-translated Liturgy of the Hours. Perhaps my earlier comments only apply to the project of awilliams?
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    On a related topic, I'm looking for available hymn resources for the office.

Is anyone familiar with this collection? http://www.giamusic.com/search_details.cfm?title_id=3049

• ronkrisman
    Hymnal for the Hours was published by GIA in 1989, the fruit of the work of an editorial committee comprised exclusively of men and women religious: Andrew Ciferni and Laurence Mayer (OPraem); Samuel Weber, Ralph Wright, Kevin McGrath, and Genevieve Glen (OSB); Frank Quinn and David Wright (OP); Mary McGann (RSCJ). It contains 315 hymns, most of them in SATB voicing, all with organ accompaniment. Perhaps a 100 or so are English translations of Latin office hymns. A number of the texts are new creations for this collection. The largest number of contributions (78) - both translations and original texts - is from Ralph Wright, OSB.

The first paragraph of the Foreword states:
    This hymnal is intended primarily for communities which throughout the Church Year daily celebrate the Liturgy of the Hours, especially Morning and Evening Prayer. Hymnals for these celebrations compiled since the publication of the revised Divine Office of the Roman Rite (1971) provided for an immediate need and they served well. Repeated use of these resources, however, and the growing sensitivity to ongoing liturgical reform have made many communities aware of the shortcomings of available collections. This awareness is a necessary part of the ongoing process of building a worthy tradition of liturgical music in English. The present collection is, we hope, a significant step in this process.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Earl_Grey
  • The Panel of Monastic Musicians (http://www.monasticmusicians.org/) produced
    Hymns for Prayer and Praise (ed. John Harper, Canterbury Press, Norwich 1996). For each hymn two tunes are provided, one chant, and one "organ".

An accompaniment edition for the chant tunes is in preparation.
  • English language Hymnals and Antiphonaries for the post-1970 "new order" Divine Office was the original topic started by user "Adoremus"

I have no knowledge of "officially approved" antiphonaries in english. Does this exist outside of particular monasteries (approved by an abbot or local bishop) ?

I was told by Rev. Fr. Augustine Thompson, O.P. that it is perfectly legitimate to fulfill ones obligation of the divine office using these five books:

The Revised Grail Psalms - Singing Version: A Liturgical Psalter (2010) for the Psalms.
    Ormonde Plater's English adaption of the 2009 Antiphonale Monasticum
    for antiphons, responsories, versicles,
    Hymnarium, O.P. (2013 Province of St. Joseph) for English Hymns (the most frequently used hymns also match the latin benedictine versions in the Liber Hymnarius (1983).)
    Oremus, Let Us Pray, contains the Collects of the Roman Missal in Latin and English on facing pages.
    A New American Bible for the Chapter (sacred scripture) reading inbetween the psalms and canticle (matching that of the Liturgy of the Hours).

The sixth resource being a privately made booklet of canticles and prayers using NAB and ICET/ICEL text, with the intercessory prayers for lauds and vespers, "let us bless the lord" and final antiphons of the blessed virgin mary.

Rev' Ormonde's work is ment to alleviate the burden of using a separate booklet and psalter by having all one needs for the daytime hours in one book, outside of the musically typeset canticles, collect and scripture readings, which still require the above mentioned books or booklets. His work is not intended for official publication, but for people to print out themself.

The only english antiphonary I have ever seen outside of an anglican-convert catholic/orthodox derived parish/mission church are for st meinrad's monastery.
    I found the St. Meinrad's antiphonary while browsing through the library of congress in washington, DC many years ago. The monastery in Cullman, AL, also has one thats even nicer than St. Meinrad's, but it is rare and hard to view except through interlibrary loan.

I do not know what awilliams intentions are, but I would never dream of publishing in paper form any official liturgical books for the Roman Catholic Church. I have no conception of what this means. I am an artist not a lawyer. When approved texts that are orthodox exist without their proper music or are missing traditional musical settings, I adapt them to the text, and or I typeset latin music and prayers from old manuscripts in latin and or english. Anyone who is able to use them is free to use them.

My copy of "A Monastic Antiphonary" from 1994 made at St. Meinrad's Archabbey states inside:

"The purpose of this project is to make available English language translation and plainsong musical settings for the Thesaurus Liturgiae Horarum Monasticum. Rome. 1977. to aid monastic communities in the Benedictine tradition as they prepare worship materials for the celebration of the Divine Office. At the same time, the project seeks to encourage discussion concerning texts and musical settings for the Divine Office appropriate to the needs of monastic communities today. Materials are distributed on a not-for-profit basis.

Selection of texts, musical settings and compilation copyright 1994 Saint Meinrad Archabbey, St. Meinrad, IN 47577-1010. All Rights Reserved."

This statement describes well Ormonde Plater's intention for much of his work, especially the latest psalter in .pdf digital format which is to soon be put on his website.

I am also confused by this conversation.

Thanked by 2chonak Robert
  • francis
    Is there an online version of the ICEL translation of the LOTH that is not just yesterday today and tomorrow?
  • bonniebede
    Does universalis suit what you are looking for? it is searchable by any date
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    Universalis doesn't have the proper translation.
  • OraLabora
    @Chonak (Jan. 2014)

The psalm-prayers are not from the ICEL. They were the brainchild of Jorge Pinell, a Spanish Benedictine and member of the Pontifical Institute at S. Anselmo in Rome. There was reluctance on the part of the Commission designing the LOTH to include them. Most editions don't have them. The only two places I've seen them in my library are in Christian Prayer (English) which I don't use and Liturgie Monastique des Heures (French). The latter is the post-Vatican II monastic breviary of Notker Fueglister that is the most popular schema in the Benedictine Confederation as it says all 150 psalms in a week (thus faithful to the Rule of St. Benedict) but with no repetitions. As it is is the schema used by the abbey I'm attached to as oblate, I use it when I visit there.

The French LOTH that I also use does not include them, nor does the Editio Typica Altera of the LOTH in Latin that is current (which I also use).

The ICEL may be guilty of many things, but other than poorly translating them, they're not guilty for inventing the psalm-prayers. :)

(for more background on the psalm-prayers, see "From Breviary to Liturgy of the Hours" by Stanislaus Campbell, specifically pp 106, 163 and 168)
  • Personally, I think the biggest error regarding the psalm prayers is their placement. If you are singing the psalms it makes no sense to complete the psalm and Gloria Patri... and then have a pause and a spoken psalm prayer followed only then by the singing of the antiphon. It seems it should have been ordered such that:
    antiphon
    psalm
    Gloria Patri
    antiphon
    (psalm prayer, optionally)

I hope, if the psalm prayers are maintained, that at least this small edit makes its way into the new arrangement. If you read the General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours it is clear that the psalm prayer optionally is said after the psalm, but it seems to me the intent was that the antiphon be included at the conclusion of the psalm, such that the psalm with antiphon forms an integral unit, with the psalm prayer then following. This is not especially clear, because the section of the instructions on the Psalms is followed by the section of the instructions on Antiphons, which I think is perhaps the source of the misunderstanding. Some overly literal editor thought that since the instruction said after the psalm it had to follow immediately, before the antiphon, lucky we are that in their enthusiasm they didn't insert it between the psalm and the Gloria Patri.

I would be very happy if the liturgical powers that be would issue a clarification of the instructions on this point as an interim measure.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen nun_34
  • OraLabora
    I think the best and safest course with the psalm-prayers is to simply omit them. They're optional anyway. I've never heard them used. Perhaps in private silent recitation, they won't be as disruptive.

I do pause after psalms. I chant the psalms in Latin (I use Les Heures Grégoriennes) then I silently read the psalm in French.
    Thanked by 1Jahaza
  • chonakchonak
    Thank you, OraLabora, for clarifying the origin of the psalm prayers. I wonder whether they were ever written in Latin.
  • bonniebede
    @Ben, universalis has the right translation, but not in its free version, I think. anyway it is the right translation in the irish version.