• TCJ
    Today I was browsing through books at a second hand store and two words on a hardbound cover jumped out at me:

THE HYMNAL

Sure enough, it was The Hymnal 1940. I didn't have to think about it to purchase it. It's also a harmony edition. I feel like I hit a gold mine.
  • donr
    Wow, nice find
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Can this be a thread where we brag about cool book finds?

Because...

A former professor here at GTU recently died and some of his books were made available for anyone who wanted to go pick them up.

I got a complete Septuagint and a complete Vulgate.
    WOOT!
  • BenBen
    And this.

Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • TCJ
    Can this be a thread where we brag about cool book finds?

I don't see why not. I've gotten lots of stuff from second hand stores, including a lot of Lutheran hymnals which I pick up to check for different harmonizations of hymns or just entirely new hymn tunes.
  • Did you happen to see the Antiques Roadshow episode a few weeks ago where a lady recounted her purchase of an "old" copy of Elgar's Dream of Gerontius for one pound. After the transaction, she told the used book shop owner that he should have checked the contents more closely. Included was the composer's autograph and some annotations.
  • EMH
    Sorry to be off-topic: if anyone can find:

Cantica Puerorum. A collection of original pieces for use in church, schools and convents. by Eduardo Marzo (Publisher G. Schirmer New York 1913) Op. 66.

I will buy it from you! I have been looking for this old book for forever and I cannot find it for sale.