Official translation of Responsory Ecce quomodo moritur justus
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Is this Responsory in the Liturgia Horarum besides at Vigils? If so, is there an official English translation?
  • CGM
    not sure about official, but from the Hilliard Ensemble's Gesualdo Tenebrae set (which is a stunning and remarkable recording):

Behold how the Just One dies,
    and no one takes it to heart:
    and just men are taken away,
    and no one considers it:
    the Just One is taken away from the face of iniquity,
    And his memory shall be in peace.

He was silent, like the lamb before his
    shearer,
    and opened not his mouth:
    he was taken away from distress and judgement.

And his memory shall be in peace.
    --cf. Isaiah 57:1-2; 53:7b-8a
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • As best as I can tell it is not in the present Holy Week responsories of the Liturgy of the Hours, other than the portion from Isaiah 53 which appears as the responsory after the first reading of the Office of Readings for Good Friday.

On the other hand, the recent creation of the Anglican Ordinariates would, I am guessing, mean there is now an official text via that source since the Anglo-Catholic tradition seems to have included celebration of Tenembrae in its older fashion.
  • chonakchonak
    As it happens, I'm scheduled to sing a Tenebrae service today (Wednesday of Holy Week) with the local Anglican use community, but the excerpts we're doing don't happen to include this responsory. I'll attach a copy of the choir booklet we're using, in case anyone is curious.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Spriggo
  • mahrt
    This text is set by Jacob Gallus in a well-known and extraordinary piece. It is so linked with the rhythm of the Latin text that if an English version were attempted, one would have to recompose the rhythm of the piece entirely, something that would be worth trying.