See what Catholic Music could have been...
  • The Anglicans figured out liturgy in English and the Catholics ignored them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grxp5mVut18&feature=youtu.be

My wife is the one wearing the blue shawl (that she knitted) at 0:43 and she appears at other times as well, she tells me. I guess I better watch it all the way through.
  • If there's a video, it's not showing up for me. Anyway, I thought Protestantizing the liturgy was the problem, not the solution. Bugnini and all that. :-/
  • chonakchonak
    I don't think "Protestantizing the liturgy" is something Noel talks about much.

The YouTube video feature in the forum only works on desktop browsers, so if you're viewing on some other device, use a direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grxp5mVut18
  • Protestantising the liturgy? Pooh!
    Catholics should wish to be so fortunate as to have such Catholic music and liturgy!
    They should wish that they had more musicians of this calibre! These men and women know sacred music inside and out, they know how to teach it, and, most important, their people honour them and expect it.

Noel and I, as he and I and everyone else knows, most frequently disagree, but I must say that he is spot on here: Anglicans indeed 'figured out liturgy in English [long, long ago] and the Catholics ignored them'. And, for those who haven't yet heard of the Personal Ordinariate of the Chair of St Peter, this is indisputably Catholic now - as if the music ever wasn't.

Just think about it: Catholics don't have Catholic music and liturgy because the Episcopalians have it and it's therefore Protestant and we don't want to protestantise our liturgy. Logical! n'est ce pas?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Just think about it: Catholics don't have Catholic music and liturgy because the Episcopalians have it and it's therefore Protestant and we don't want to protestantise our liturgy. Logical! n'est ce pas?

Jackson, everything prior to this statement was most accurate and eloquent.
    That acknowledged, is your perspective provided by a microscope or a telescope? Catholic sacred music, however specified, codified or modified has never, never (!) been encapsulated into a species unto itself, or been congenitally nurtured by a cultural ethos spawned by a distinct historical and cultural moment. Oh, yes, we RCC who've paid attention are, no doubt, envious, nee covetous of the heritage of the infused Ordinariate. But in no ways is it time to strut like King Chanticleer claiming, literally, the high ground.
    I suppose I'm just waxing akin to my post about hammers and nails, but at this moment in time, a great part of me would rather be among the Chaldeans left in Iraq chanting in Aramaic than with real Anglicans doing Willcocks, or faux-Anglicans rolling "r's" to either Thaxted or Tallis, or with any number of intra-focused musicians singing anything from Kumbaya to Maher who actually believe they're evangelizing the Christ.
  • Charles -
    I'll join you any day amongst the Chaldeans singing Aramaic. I have no doubt that this would be a spiritual experience that I would forever treasure. Let me know when you go.
  • Kathy
    It is interesting and rather humbling to note that beauty in music and liturgy is not a safeguard against error and schism (or remaining in schism).
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It is interesting and rather humbling to note that beauty in music and liturgy is not a safeguard against error and schism (or remaining in schism).

Also: Good music --- even great music --- is not a guarantor of good liturgy. Many Anglican/Episcopal churches do amazing music but have no sense of when certain pieces of music should or shouldn't be used, or how the texts might relate to the lessons, or how the form of the music should support the action of the liturgy, or how music interacts with the other things going on in the liturgy.

And: Good liturgy is not even a guarantor of meaningful connection to the life of the congregation or the surrounding neighborhood. There are a lot of Episcopal churches doing really excellent liturgy with really excellent music, with a dwindling and aging congregation of "mute spectators," and nary a visitor or new arrival for months at a time.

Furthermore: Existing within a rich tradition, with plenty of good examples, is no guarantee of any individual parish having any idea what to do or how to do it. For every parish that has amazing music and good liturgy, there are scads more that have four randomly selected hymns played slowly on an crummy organ. Others do bizarre mixes of folk songs and camp music, which is even worse than when Catholics do it because generally the performance quality in this case is so bad.
  • CharlesW
    I have often wished and stated that it would have been wonderful if our Vatican II "reformers" had looked to an Anglican model when creating translations and mass music in English. Instead, they looked to some of the worst possible examples from questionably talented people. Go figure!
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Exactly, Charles, it seems to me the post-Council reformers were presented with two liturgical paradigms upon which to model their new Catholic liturgy:

The Protestant model which for the most part was a bland, austere liturgy with beautiful music.

The Catholic model which for the most part was a beautiful liturgy with bland, second rate music.

So what did they choose: bland austere liturgy and bland, second-rate music.
  • dhalkjdhalkj
    There is a Chaldean congregation using our sanctuary on Sunday afternoons and they occasionally chant things in a very untutored, unsystematic and nasal sounding way. I ponder that Gregorian chant could well be made to sound very similar if we traded in our rounded vocal tones and carefully tuned belcanto style for something more middle eastern sounding. Somehow I don't think you'd find it convincing as an example of the best of church musical art.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Gavin
  • CharlesW
    I am sure Gregorian chant didn't sound like it does today in academic and cathedral settings. Much has happened in music since that chant originated.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    dhalkj,
    Have you possibly missed the larger point I made and with which Jackson concurred?
    Nevertheless, one could turn your example on its head and yet make the case that it just might be possible that beauty and art can be found in the "untutored (and) unsystematic."
    I personally would be as distracted by a choir singing tutti bel canto as one singing like the lowlands' Mississippi shape note congregation within the context of Mass. Come to think of it, I have been thus distracted; back when Cdl. Bartolucci (RIP) was running the show in St. Peter's.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Andrew_Malton
    Trading rounded bel canto for nasal middle eastern sounding chant.

Dhalkj, you're describing my singing the Gradual at 9.0am Mass.
  • CharlesW
    Breathe deeply every 4 words and you will sound like my soprano section. LOL.
  • MatthewRoth
    I like much of the Prayer Book. The Collects need to be a bit less expansive, IMHO. But the language is a good model. Also, I think one can use “beseech,” “vouchsafe,” “deign,” “quicken,” the traditional prayer pronouns and other older words from our prayers without being needlessly archaic at the same time. One can strike a balance.
    The Coverdale text can be sung and recited well, which is crucial. I will always defend our use of the Septuagint-based numbering, but hey! This is still the model. The Palmer-Burgess model is what we needed (even if PB was not perfect) along with St. Dunstan’s for Psalms and whatever the CofE uses for perfectly adapting Roman Compline tones to English. I get angry when I see they do it so well. That is our inheritance too!

I still defend the all-Latin TLM with vigor. But if one has to use the vernacular, the English post-Reformation worship is the place to start looking.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    I just have to ask: Why Anglicanism? I mean, is English the only vernacular that the N.O. is said in? So we Americans/Australians/Englishmen/Canadians/etc. can point to the BCP and what the Anglican tradition is and say: "See? That's what vernacular liturgy should look like!"

What about the Church in German-speaking countries? Should they perhaps have looked to 19th Century Lutheranism? Perhaps while we're singing Howells' Anthems at Mass in English they could sing Bach Cantatas at Mass in German.

And what about the French? And Poland?

More Crucial, what about Italy: What wonderful vernacular/Protestant tradition would the Italians have had to draw on? Surely Italian Catholics would not have really been exposed to Italian Liturgical texts, I am sure there were plenty of Italian devotional texts; but what about something truly liturgical, like an Italian equivalent to the BCP.

I ask this because I truly want to know. I think that when it comes to vernacular liturgy we English-speakers are often too quick to point to the Anglicans and hold them up as the model for Vernacular Liturgy. And it is far too easy for us to get decent liturgical music in English: the Palmer-Burgess, a ton of Tudor stuff on CPDL, there are Howells and RVW and Holst and Walton and others that we can get from OUP, Novello, and so-on. As speakers of English, I think it is valid to hold up the BCP model, after all it is part of our Patrimony of English Liturgical and Devotional Literature. But, from what I can gather, those who were instigating the Liturgical Revolution were mainly from Catholic Countries that had no real tradition of a vernacular Liturgy, and therefore didn't have that long tradition to attach themselves to.

(I hope that I am expressing myself as I want to, and that I do not sound argumentative.)
    Thanked by 2ZacPB189 JulieColl
  • The feverish and intemperate (fundamentally irrational) craze for a 'modern English' seems to be a phenomenon of the late XXth century on into our own times. The translations that appeared in Sunday missals that were followed by generations of Catholic Anglophones were styled after that of the BCP, which is to say that they were in what was tacitly recognised and treasured for nearly five-hundred years as an hieratic English. One is rather certain that few people had trouble comprehending it. In fact, they still don't, but they have been conditioned by our would-be liturgists to pretend that they can't. Yes, the all-too-predictable throwing about of the arms, the de rigueur rolling of the eyes, the making of funny and falsely clueless faces, and mindless exclamations of incomprehensiblity have been drilled into the past few generations so that they would have us believe that they cannot make sense of what they very well can, or could. It is the literary dishonesty inherent in this matter that is not only offensive, but loathsome. That said, there is no reason why we, in fact, cannot have an hieratic English that represents the parnassus of modern literary English. We have yet to see it, but it is possible for us to have it if A great scholar and poet were asked to provide such a literary masterpiece. We were sold a bill of goods by the chic proponents of dynamic equivalency, and by the skin of our teeth got the present translation which is, comparably, a Godsend. Few, though, would claim that it is not without serious defects of vocabulary, rhythm and pace, and, sometimes, clarity of thought and grace. Still, one is so very grateful that we have it. It's problems are not those which its detractors imagine them to be.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JulieColl
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    an hieratic

Good god, sir - are your Hs silent?

Few, though, would claim that it is not without serious defects
    of vocabulary, rhythm and pace,
    and, sometimes, clarity of thought and grace.

But then, you construct this little poem, and I think:
    How can I stay mad at you?
  • No silent H's, Adam, though they could be; just more of what SOME of THOSE people would ACT LIKE was bizarre usage with no precedent since ere we wandered out of caves.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • MatthewRoth
    MJO, what they really mean is thoroughly contemporary English in idiom and syntax. Shakespeare's plays and the Prayer Book are thoroughly modern English, but they might be considered archaic, which is the problem. Words have shifted meaning, usually in a narrower sense, and that's difficult, because the older meanings covered by words tend to be more apt in the liturgical sense. We can adjust to syntactical differences more easily, I think...

I also wonder how the minds of those audiences and worshipers adjusted, because people did not speak like Shakespeare's characters nor did they use on a daily basis the BCP vocabulary. Yet, in time both were thoroughly well-received.

Salieri, this is part of the problem with a vernacular liturgy. There is no model for most tongues, but the Romance languages' biggest compromise, it seems, is the use of prepositions and auxiliary verbs whereas Latin would use only one word. They can stay close to the Latin without moving too far from the original in form or losing a sense of it being the vernacular. Although their usage is now shifting, Romance languages (and others too, I understand) never had this weird pronoun shift in the second person. The plural 2P was also the formal singular 2P, and they never switched, whereas in English the plural 2P is also the singular 2P for everybody ("y'all," "yinz," and other local forms are quite helpful!), and what was the singular common usage became the formal address reserved to God. An example of this is the contemporary French Notre père, where they use the informal 2P singular instead of the formal 2P singular/plural.

In contrast, we can maintain something of a Latin-influenced vocabulary and syntax which has an obvious sense of the sacred, but we have to work on it in English being that we speak a Germanic tongue with a heavy influence of Norman French.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • ronkrisman
    Salieri, you expressed yourself quite clearly yesterday. I don't think the question so much revolves around whether there are "wonderful vernacular/Protestant traditions" in France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain, etc. (there are), as it does from where those traditions descended. Calvinists and their descendant churches in all countries created complete psalters of vernacular metrical psalms; they had less concern about metrical hymns, as some churches allowed them and others did not. Spanish-speaking evangelicals (primarily Baptists and Methodists) in Spain (few in number), Texas, Central and South America translated English and German hymns into Spanish by the hundreds. But these Calvinist and evangelical traditions did not have their patrimony in the Roman rite, as was the case with the Church of England, and so, for the most part, they did not translate the texts of the Roman Missal or hymns from the Roman Breviary into the vernacular.

I have done a lot of searching for Spanish translations of Missal and Breviary texts made during the past three centuries or so. Some translations exists, but most of them are not metrical translations and, of those that are, almost none of them are in the meter of the Latin text, thereby making it possible for them to be sung to the same chants. By and large, these translations seem to have been made for literate folks who wanted to know what was being prayed in Latin-language celebrations of the Mass and Hours. That situation prevailed up to the time of the post-Vatican II liturgical reforms.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    this weird pronoun shift in the second person... An example of this is the contemporary French Notre père, where they use the informal 2P singular instead of the formal 2P singular/plural.

This only happened in 1966, according to WP. But it used to puzzle me that Michaelas seemed to have so much trouble pronouncing "protege-moi" before it ever occurred to me that they were addressing God as "vous".
  • The plural 2P was also the formal singular 2P, and they never switched, whereas in English the plural 2P is also the singular 2P for everybody ("y'all," "yinz," and other local forms are quite helpful!), and what was the singular common usage became the formal address reserved to God. An example of this is the contemporary French Notre père, where they use the informal 2P singular instead of the formal 2P singular/plural.

In contrast, we can maintain something of a Latin-influenced vocabulary and syntax which has an obvious sense of the sacred, but we have to work on it in English being that we speak a Germanic tongue with a heavy influence of Norman French.

In languages with a T-V distinction, there is no "formal address reserved to God." Rather, it is the informal address, such as would be used to speak to a child or good friend, which is used to speak to God. ("Thou" in English was the informal form of address.)

Modern English's lack of a distinction between formal and informal terms of address actually makes English more like Latin. Trying to resurrect them (the famous "hieratic language") would make our prayers more Tudor-sounding, but less authentically Latin or Roman.