Something Interesting for the Technologically Minded Singers
  • dad29
    Yah, well, Ben--when that EMP bomb hits and cuts off electricity, you will be in deep doo-doo. Have hard-copy and candles ready.
  • CharlesW
    Have ox cart, will travel... LOL
  • BenBen
    Yah, well, Ben--when that EMP bomb hits and cuts off electricity, you will be in deep doo-doo. Have hard-copy and candles ready.

Nah, I prefer the "spare tablet and memory card in Faraday cage" method.
  • donr
    At present I choose not to use electronic pads or phones in church for fear of causing scandal. I would hate for someone to think I'm checking my e-mail during Mass.
    inused my phone at Adoaration once. The church was pretty dark except for a heavenly glow coming from my phone.
    The elderly man after me must have either thought I was holy or surfing the net.
  • jczarn
    Has anyone ever been scolded for singing from an electronic device?
    I ask, because I forgot my paper copy of the propers a few weeks back for the Sunday EF Mass I cantor for. I was able to quickly download the propers from CCWatershed onto my android phone and was able to get through Mass without a hitch.

To my surprise, the following Sunday, a woman made a point of waiting for me before Mass in the vestibule, stopped me, and proceeded to tell me how it was wrong "to be using a machine in front of the Blessed Sacrament." To be fair, I am a bit more conspicuous than I would like, as our EF Mass is in the basement (old social hall converted into a chapel, no choir loft/area), so our small schola is stationed off to the side near the front. Yet I wasn't expecting to cause scandal by using my relatively small phone for the obvious purpose of displaying the music I was singing from.

She proceeded to relate how she finds it so distracting when others use electronic devices to pray from (e.g. in adoration) even though she knows they are using it for prayer. I admitted there are certain cases where certain devices might be distracting (her example, a full size laptop in a darkened adoration chapel - maybe?), but I maintained that there is nothing inherently irreverent or inappropriate per se about using technology even in front of the presence of our Lord. I suggested (hopefully charitably) that we should be trying to focus on our own disposition at Mass rather than worrying about what others are doing.

According to the woman in question, she said that she routinely attends Mass at several different parishes, at which one supposedly specifically prohibits any electronic devices, even for use in prayer. She admitted that our priest (being more technologically minded) probably has no issue with it, but still said that my use of my phone to sing from was horribly distracting to her and by its nature inappropriate.

I usually prefer to sing from paper at Mass anyway (I only do otherwise in a pinch), so the argument is probably moot in my particular case. But in general, is using such a device at Mass scandalous at this point in history? Does it depend on the context and specific situation? Is it just a matter of time before there is no concern of scandal?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Yes, it is only time that will lessen the paradigm shift.
    I used to compose the Universal Prayer for our parishes, I'd print it out for myself and then forward to office for reprinting, distribution. Now the secretary compiles the UP, and sometimes sends it on time, sometimes late or not at all. So, if it shows up before Saturday Vigil, to intone the people's response, I open the file on my iP5 and cant the invocation. Who could think I was doing something other than the obvious on my "device." I also, like Ben, have downloaded accompaniments and chant volumes on both my tablets (Androids) and use them at Mass on the stand, which beats the daylights out of hauling 2 huge books around in a bag. That scandalous? I think not, the downloads are about $35, the books $130. I bought them on my dime. Is that scandalous, or good stewardship?
    We hosted the internationally renowned Choral Project (54 voices) two Saturdays' ago. A third of this Llangollen winning chorus used tablets rather than paper. The audience was thrilled by their performance, to a person. Anybody ask me about their "devices" whilst in the sanctuary (sacrament reserved, sacred repertoire only)? Not a soul.
    Move on, nothing to see here.
    PS, I like Aristotle's solution for scholas in a gallery: use a 60" 1080 res. HDTV as the sole reference for pages captured from the Graduale or whatever, and everyone gathers round just like in days of yore.
  • CharlesW
    To my surprise, the following Sunday, a woman made a point of waiting for me before Mass in the vestibule, stopped me, and proceeded to tell me how it was wrong "to be using a machine in front of the Blessed Sacrament."

Glad you noted this was at an EF mass, where all walk on water amid clouds of incense. One good thing about the EF, it gives the rest of us a place to get rid of our fruits and nuts. ROFL. I wish, although it does seem that rite attracts the oddballs, here in my place as well.

download the propers from CCWatershed onto my android phone and was able to get through Mass without a hitch.

Wish I could do that. As my eyes have aged, I can no longer read those small screens. I would need a large display, not a small tablet.

she said that she routinely attends Mass at several different parishes,

How many parishes has she been run out of?

You didn't cause scandal, you just attracted the attention of a da*n nut, who was probably looking for something different she could bitch about. There is nothing scandalous about using a tablet, if as I noted, you can still read them. Put a triangle on your back and tell her it is an Amish tablet.
    Thanked by 1musiclover88
  • chonakchonak
    There is something relevant here. I think the cranky lady is onto something.

A few days ago, a priest visiting our church mentioned that he never wears a wristwatch while celebrating Mass, because he remembered a famous photograph of Pope St. John Paul II performing the elevation while wearing a large and noticeable Rolex.

That photo contained a clash of symbols, in which the timeless Mass was tagged with a piece of 20th-century mechanical technology. Objectively speaking, it didn't hurt the Mass, but it was a strange juxtaposition.

If you sing from a book: well, the basic format of books, the codex, dates back to the first century, so it's not anachronistic at all to use it.

I don't mean to suggest any purist notion, but I think that if the schola is highly visible in a Mass, it's better to avoid using electronic devices, unless one needs them to compensate for a handicap.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • CharlesW
    You could try the old high school trick. Keep in mind that when I was in high school there were no tablets, Indians were riding around the building yelling insults, and the noise from cavalry bugles was deafening. Put the tablet inside a book and enjoy.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Richard, does it occur to you that your priest relating that story was the first time you, and now us, have heard of this circumstance? The conclusion of a "clash of symbols" is one of perspective.
    At some point, historicity becomes anachronistic, as you say. Shall we eschew the current GR for a Triplex? Should we eschew the Triplex for single line Laon? And so forth?
    Lastly, there's a certain contradiction implicit in your query in that the medium of "chant" enjoyed its first contemporaneous renaissance due to CD's by the monks of Santiago de Silos. Should they have released it on an LP, a 78 or wax cylinder?
  • donr
    We're not talking about whether a record should have first been recorded on CD or Vynal or wax, but rather should shay recording be played during Mass.

The scandal is not using the device at Mass even. Scandal is caused by how others Perceive what you are doing with your device.
    The woman in the above story was scandalized by the use of an electric device in the sanctuary. It doesn't matter that there was no scandalous intent, scandal happened.

It will take time, scandal will occur and then it will fade. I e vision IPads mounted on every pew some day.
  • bonniebede
    Scandal is doing something which leads another to sin, or to think that a sinful behaviour is okay. It is not doing something which offends someone's aesthetic sensibilities.
    This reminds me of a nice documentary on over Christmas about the now traditional broadcast of the Carols from Kings. The choir traditionally sang in a darkened church, with a candle at each choir stall. but the cameras (especially the older ones) needed lots more light. The solution was to Put a light hidden in the candle stand, with the beam pointing just at the chorister, while the candle still burned merrily on top, thus managing to recreate the feeling of the church lit only by candles, while in actuality having string electric lights running.
    Given our aging congregations, using solutions which allow for the magnification of text might be considered charitable, not scandalous.
    I like the idea of a tablet in a book cover, preferably one of aged and venerable looking leather, such as might hold a monkish vellum collection.
  • chonakchonak
    Melo wrote:
    Richard, does it occur to you that your priest relating that story was the first time you, and now us, have heard of this circumstance? The conclusion of a "clash of symbols" is one of perspective.

But your assumption is not correct: I first saw mention of Pope John Paul II's wristwatch decades ago. Here's an example:

Thanked by 1melofluent
  • CharlesW
    But your assumption is not correct: I first saw mention of Pope John Paul II's wristwatch decades ago. Here's an example:

I didn't understand the wristwatch flap, to begin with. It was probably a gift, since I don't think he ever made enough money to buy Rolex watches routinely. If I were given one, I would wear it with no apologies to anyone. Of course, I could sell it and use the money to buy tablets and bonniebede's "aged and venerable looking leather" covers for the choir. Win/win situation. ;-)
  • donr
    @bonniebede, I like the putting the Pad in a old book or attached to a binder. And I somewhat agree that scandal is not doing something that offends someone's sensibilities. However, when you are at Mass or at Adoration and you see a teenager with a Pod are you thinking "I wonder if he is reading a religious book on thing or playing Mine Craft until his parents are done with this crazy service". If you have thought that instead of the action taking place it scandal. And it potentially causes others to sin, because other teenagers see someone using one and thinks, Cool I could pretend I'm reading the "book of John but I'm actually texting my friend John". Temptations abound with these devices.
    Most people love these devices so much that they loose their jobs over them. How many people use social media at work, stealing time from their employers? A ton of us do it.

The old lady was scandalized because she was thinking of the Pod rather than thinking of God.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • bonniebede
    but surely the charitable thing to think is 'great, he is probably reading scripture or the church fathers. Pity I am sitting here thinking about what he is doing instead of praying myself'. ;-)
    Further, I can remember when in the depths of real depression, being so unable to think or pray , that i took a novel to the church and read it. Maybe I as wrong, but I felt I was in desperate need, but so stressed by the thought of not being able to pray that I just felt if I just sit here in front of Jesus, it will help, and if this is what it takes to hold me here I trust he is merciful'.
    I should perhaps mention, we recently started vespers in our church, The cost of the books are exorbitant, so I encourage people to bring the texts on a phone or tablet. Option for the poor and all that...
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    Have we forgotten that Socrates bewailed the advent of writing so much so that men "would grow to be fools" by relying on the written word and no longer engaging in memorization? And I have to be bold here and say that I'm sincerely tired of the technoclasts and their constant criticism of anything that does not conform to their nostalgically entrenched ideology of what is and is not tradition.
  • CharlesW
    ... I'm sincerely tired of the technoclasts and their constant criticism of anything that does not conform to their nostalgically entrenched ideology of what is and is not tradition.

Now, now! Be nice to the Latin mass crowd. They can't help being Amish.

• She proceeded to relate how she finds it so distracting when others use electronic devices to pray from (e.g. in adoration) even though she knows they are using it for prayer.

The problem is most definitely hers and nobody else's. If she's that distracted by other people praying during adoration, she needs to either get a life or just go home and pray by herself in a dark closet where no one else will "scandalize" her.

I see a few people at Mass sometimes who follow the readings on their phone. Our deacon made an announcement a while ago that if we see anyone using their phones or tablets during Mass or adoration, they are probably just reading their prayers from it and we shouldn't be judgmental towards them.

Does anyone use a tablet for their music as they play the organ? I don't own a tablet, but I'm curious as to how well that would work. On one hand, it would be really handy to not have to dig through a bunch of papers and have them fly off the music stand if the fans are on (that happened one time in the middle of a hymn--disaster!!). But how do you "flip" pages, exactly? I mean, is it easier than flipping a physical page?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I use a tablet as a director. The Android format requires a finger swipe, which can be problematic. One of my accompanists uses iPad format which only requires, according to him, a page touch on the screen, presumably right side like Kindle, to easily navigate the turn.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • TCJ
    I prefer paper myself. One can easily find a lot of older organ music on ISMLP but I prefer to purchase the books when I can. There's something satisfying about actually owning something. In regard to DropBox, it is a handy tool, but I wouldn't rely on it. The past couple of weeks, DropBox has lost connection on me several times. While I could probably reboot and fix it (didn't need it at the time) that would certainly be awkward if I needed the music NOW.
  • ryandryand
    I used a tablet for years, and playing traditional sacred music. Granted, at one of those parishes I was in the loft, and at the others it was hidden by the music stand.several parishioners at my last job though, commented after mass that they noticed I was using a tablet. They thought it was a great idea.

Most of the time it was used at the organ console. The page turns were not problematic, I found it more convenient than physical page turns. Quicker and "less messy." Quick swipe across the screen.

I like the idea of hiding it in a book, or behind a folder. What they don't know can't hurt them.

There's nothing wrong, in my opinion, with taking advantage of technology to produce beautiful music, or to access sacred texts. If there is a problem with perception though, why not treat it as if you were reading from the page? What's really in the folder? That's nobody's business to begin with.
  • Protasius
    I use my laptop to play from when I find something on IMSLP etc. that looked like it might sound good (or had a nice fancy title; I'm still far away from hearing the notes I read on paper) and wanted to try it out at home on a spinet organ before printing it and taking it to church for practicing.
  • BruceL
    @melofluent I'm pretty sure the PDF viewer/editor for DocsToGo just needs a tap, too. Just FYI: maybe a third party software is the answer.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • I've had some success with GIA's 'Hymnals' app for iPad. I purchased the keyboard accompaniment for Worship IV, and 'Hymnals' also allows you to scan-in your own music and/or use already existing PDFs (from IMSLP, for example) and import via Dropbox to the app.

I could definitely see myself using this more often with a larger tablet. The iPad is decent in size, but still a little small for me to switch over completely. I will agree with @ryand - turning pages while playing organ is significantly easier by just swiping. GIA also has Bluetooth foot pedals for turning pages within the app, which I have not experimented with yet.
  • This thread is really making wish I had a tablet so I could try it for organ music. There are so many times when I try to flip a page while playing and I flip two pages instead, or if I'm using sheet music, sometimes the motion of flipping one of the sheets makes the other sheets fly off the organ into oblivion. Yes, I'm kind of a klutz.

I think it would be really handy for singing in a choir, too. When I sing in a choir I don't really like using a binder, I just hold the loose sheets of music instead. Now if only I had the money to buy a tablet...hmm.
  • bonniebede
    Until you go to flip a page off the tablet and send it off into oblivion too. Working with kids I am glad the worst that can happen was the nice little girl who helpfully drew lots of angels on my LOTH.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Now, now! Be nice to the Latin mass crowd. They can't help being Amish.

My inability to completely cope with technology has NOTHING to do with my attachment to the EF. I clashed with the devil's accursed contraptions long before I knew what a Graduale was!
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • donr
    I am not opposed to electronics iN church during Liturgy or Adoration. My problem is the possible Scandal it could cause. All I'm asking is that we be careful in the beginning. Just like the RTR, slow and steady wins the race.

On another note. My wife doesn't like to change pages at all so she tapes all 5 or 6 pages together. I wonder how that would work with Ithingies and my budget!!
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • CharlesW
    My inability to completely cope with technology has NOTHING to do with my attachment to the EF. I clashed with the devil's accursed contraptions long before I knew what a Graduale was!

HAH! ROFL.
  • Schola NOT reading PDF on ONE 98" 4K Ultra HD TV?

IS OUTRAGE.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Was it screens in 21st century San Francisco East Bay Area?
    Was not.
    Is outrage.
    Yeah I am a luddite.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Yeah I am a luddite.

Yeah, well, I lived in Richmond for a long time as well. In St. David's parish bounderies to boot.
  • Reval
    About the photo of Pope Saint JPII: The microphone looks much more noticeable and anachronistic than the wristwatch, IMHO.
    Thanked by 1musiclover88
  • I don't understand why the wristwatch photo of JPII is a big deal. I never would have given it a second thought if someone didn't point it out to me. I guess it's a good thing he didn't wear glasses, because that definitely would have been too distracting...