Paper Folding Machines
  • matthewjmatthewj
    So.. what is the best paper folding machine to put out tri-fold tabloid size (11/17) worship aids?
    Thanked by 1Ryan Murphy
  • I've used the Martin Yale 1217A folder for tri-fold tabloid size. It also will do varying types of folds and multiple sizes. It handled my 2000 Easter programs in just about an hour. http://martinyale.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=65
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Well, I quite like the price listed on that website.. But I'm guessing it's substantially more.
    Thanked by 1Ryan Murphy
  • BenBen
    Looks like that specific one is amazon as well for about 1k.
    http://amzn.to/1GlI8X8
  • We have a digital Duplo folding machine, and I'd specifically recommend you not purchase it. It was about 4200 new 5-6 years ago. The nice part is that its automatic and sets everything up for you. The downside is that there is little control in the fine tuning and it can be difficult to get a perfectly square fold. If I were to do it again, I'd get a used professional folder with pneumatic feed. Friction rollers can't work with coated papers.
  • bonniebede
    We use two machines... one is the 'bunch of retired folks after morning Mass' and the other is the 'bunch of confirmation kids waiting for class to start'. Both come acceptably priced, and can cope with numerous variations of paper size and type.
    Lately though both are getting harder to find.
  • BruceL
    Matthew, are you printing these in house, too? St. Paul has one of these on contract (http://usa.kyoceradocumentsolutions.com/americas/jsp/Kyocera/productdetails.jsp?pid=22836) which is now about 3-4 years old. That said, it "does it all". We do a 2pp/8 folio order (about 425ct.) every week. You really just need someone to watch it and pitch the folder and stapled orders into a bin every 50-75 copies or so.

EDIT: Just noticed you said tri-fold. It will do that, but we do a bi-fold. Not sure how reliable it would be with tri-fold. Please tell me you at least have a bi-fold wallet...
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Presently our bulletin printer also does a bi-fold Tabloid size worship aid for us (http://simonjude.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/109669worshipaid03082015.pdf). Our contract with them is up and we are switching companies. The new company will not be providing worship aids, so we will be doing them in house now. I think such a change is also time for an upgrade to a trifold.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • Volunteers. Like churches used to.

Spend money on choir music instead.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I think such a change is also time for an upgrade to a trifold.

That is not an upgrade.

Am I the only one who thinks that liturgy programs should resemble books and not flyers?
  • cmbearer
    Am I the only one who thinks that liturgy programs should resemble books and not flyers?

Nope, you're not.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Also, you could just forego printing programs altogether.

You play the organ and they just SIT THERE AND TAKE IT.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    A tri-fold makes sense as it allows the Ordinary to be printed in the program, rather than having the program list where to find the Ordinary in a Kyriale that you might be able to find in the pews (our Kyriales, an in-house printed booklet with Ordinaries from the Gregorian Kyriale notoriously get taken by people when they leave) while using the same amount of paper. It does make sense.

In order to get the same amount of music printed into a bi-fold booklet, one would need 2 pieces of legal paper, which would cost more (with the staples) than 1 piece of tabloid paper.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • JDE
    Also, you could just forgo printing programs altogether.

You play the organ and they just SIT THERE AND TAKE IT.

Where's the "Mildly Sarcastic Thanks" button? ;D That made me laugh, because I totally understand the impulse, although I recognize that a program is sometimes necessary. We do a "worship aid" of sorts in my parish that has the hymn numbers, translations of any non-English texts (e.g. Propers or Latin motets), and the Psalm text. It's printed two up on letter paper and then cut.

I like a trifold 11x17 program because it's not as unwieldy as a bifold, the reader's eye doesn't have to track as far to one side or the other, and it it usually easier to read. To me the bifolds feel more like a tabloid newspaper. We only do the 11x17 programs for big occasions like our Feast Day (especially important because the readings weren't in the hymnal/missal, or at least not all in one place) and Holy Week.

A folding machine is an excellent investment. I highly recommend it if you can persuade the money people to approve it. It would be extremely time-consuming to fold by hand the number of programs we would have to do.
  • It would be extremely time-consuming...

Very true, however, buying equipment for work that could be done by dedicated volunteers - especially retired senior citizens with time on their hands whose lives would be enriched by an hour or two of simple work that would involve needed human to human contact, taking them away from the mindless viewing of TV - Dr. Phil? - that shows the decline of our civilization would be extremely valuable and possibly even extend their lives with some joy.

Put a price on that.

They really feel that they are valuable to the parish.

Hiring people or buying equipment that replaces volunteers drops the amount of support of parishioners.
  • BruceL
    A tri-fold makes sense as it allows the Ordinary to be printed in the program, rather than having the program list where to find the Ordinary in a Kyriale that you might be able to find in the pews (our Kyriales, an in-house printed booklet with Ordinaries from the Gregorian Kyriale notoriously get taken by people when they leave) while using the same amount of paper. It does make sense.

In order to get the same amount of music printed into a bi-fold booklet, one would need 2 pieces of legal paper, which would cost more (with the staples) than 1 piece of tabloid paper.

My concern would be more about the reliability of the machine whilst doing trifold, but I don't know anything about the mechanism.

I know what you're saying about the ordinary, but couldn't you just reformat the Ordinary with Gregorio and @chonak's excellent tool?

I think (from memory) that Jackson Schoos at the cathedral in Nashville does a really handsome trifold. I'll try to see if I can find one.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The SLC Cathedral does a lovely tri-fold that also serves as their bulletin:
    http://www.utcotm.org/
    (link on right side)
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The church Murphy worked at here in AZ had a folder that seemed quite reliable. I would print my programs at my west-side church and then go to his place and use his folder while we chatted about sacred music.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • BruceL
    Matthew, thanks for linking. It's impressive they can fit all of that in the SLC bulletin! I wonder what they use if they have to program more hymnody. That's part of the issue here.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I believe they only ever do the a processional hymn and a hymn after Communion (they appear to be doing a Recessional hymn now since during Lent they can't have an organ recessional). I've only been during the Summer (on the weekends before the Colloquium 2012/2013) and the Offertory was an organ piece and the Communion was a vernacular chant (I think Dr. P. Ford).
    Thanked by 1BruceL