How do you sing the "cross" sign in responsorial Psalm verses.
  • I can't seem to find any documentation online regarding how to sing the flex in the responsorial Psalm or chant. I know to go down a minor third or a fifth depending on the mode, but where can I find written documentation that I can share regarding the rules in singing the cross sign?

Thank you for your help!

Rebekah
  • BenBen
    In Latin or English?
  • BenBen
    Here's the Latin: www.musicasacra.com/pdf/tones.pdf
    Thanked by 1puretonesoprano
  • The flex is sung dropping a whole tone in tones I, IV, VII, and Tonus Peregrinus.
    The other tones, II, III, V, and VIII drop a minor third.

This, it will be seen, follows rather self-evidently, being most euphonious.
    A pattern seems to be that those tones whose intonations consist only of step-wise tones are the ones whose flexes drop the major second. Those whose intonations include an interval wider than a second drop a minor third.

(P.S. - None of the flexes drop a fifth! This occurs only at the full stop of the tone for the prophecy or Old Testament reading at mass.)

(P-P.S. - The written documentation you request may be found in Liber Usualis, or in the table of psalm tones in the appendix of St Dunstan's Plainsong Psalter, et al.)
  • SalieriSalieri
    NB: In the restored tone III (reciting on Ti) the flex drops a whole tone to La, following the pattern that Jackson mentions above for tones I, IV, VII, & Tonus Pereg's.

(This would also theoretically be the case if one were to 'restore' the recitation of tone VIII to Ti as well, but no one actually sings it like that, whereas tone III is very often restored to the ancient reciting tone.)
  • By the way, that symbol is not called a cross; it is a dagger you see before you.
    Thanked by 1puretonesoprano
  • Lo! It is, forsooth, it is!
  • Ben, it's English... Is it different than the Latin rules?
  • No. It's the same whether it's Latin, English, or Urdu.
  • SalieriSalieri
    There is one caveat: in the various 'new tones' from Fr. Columba Kelly, Fr. Samuel Weber, and Adam Bartlett, specifically for English texts, it is suggested that the flex be treated as simply a break in the music, remaining on the reciting tone. However, if one is singing in English (or any other language) but to a true Gregorian Tone, the flex is sung as above. I must confess, however, that I often retain the Latin flex formulae even when using the new English tones.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It's the same whether it's Latin, English, or Urdu.

But in the Novus Urdu, you replace the Gregorian Tones with Hawaiian folk melodies.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Nope, Little Joe, in the NU one must, must use Missa Luba, except for the Old Polish Ecumenica Catholics, aka OPEC, the Missa Tuba.
    Thanked by 3gregp tomjaw CHGiffen
  • tomjaw
    Adam & Melofluent it is at times like these I am really glad that I don't have to sing or even go to the N.O. Mass,
  • I read somewhere that Balinese gamelin music was not allowed in the NU the second Sunday of every month and on ember days. Can anyone provide documentation of this?
  • chonakchonak
    I would expect OPEC to have a financial interest in a French-language Messe Lube.

• Boooh!