Psalms of Holy Week : Composed by Oost-Zinner : Arranged by Koerber
  • francis
    Composed these tonight. Feel free to use them for Holy Week.

• Lovely, lovely...
    Thanked by 1francis
  • ghmus7
    Thank you for these!
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    YW ghmus7. Arlene did a great job at keeping these simple and straightforward and composed the melodies very close to the way I myself would have taken on the project. Bravo Arlene! I talked to her years ago about writing accomps and never had the time to do so. Perhaps I will be able to do more soon.
  • francis
    Revision.

For Psalm 31 the parallel octaves in the bass kept bothering me as I reviewed this, so here is an alternate version.
    1032 x 488 - 55K
  • CharlesW
    Oh, what's a few parallel octaves among friends. These psalms are good. I like them.
  • francis
    thnx charles. what psalms do you use these days?

as for parallel octaves, i didn't notice them as i was working on the organ part alone which works fine, and then realized later on that the vocal melody was causing the problem.

contrary motion is always better as it adds more subtlety, longevity and interest.

to me the difference between the two versions is akin to eating hamburger or steak.
  • CharlesW
    As a vegetarian, I can't comment on hamburger or steak. Being Byzantine in the middle of the Great Fast, both are forbidden anyway. LOL.

I am using WLP psalms at the moment. When the associate pastor returns from vacation Holy Week, we will move forward with our new hymnal purchase. The committee agreed on Worship IV because of the readings, psalms, ordinaries, and hymns under one cover. I can work with that.

However, on the occasions when I use programs, I can insert whatever I like - such as the psalms you created.
  • francis
    oops... meant parallel fifths.