Colloquium Question
  • Hello, first-time poster here (though I've been reading discussions here and at the Chant Cafe for a few months). I'm considering attending the Colloquium this summer, and was wondering if it would be "right" for me. Here's some background information: I started attending EF masses during my time as an undergraduate music education major (instrumental, not vocal) about 2 years ago, and after I graduated I joined the men's schola; we sing at one mass each month in addition to various special occasions. The whole experience has really sparked my interest in sacred music, especially because I never experienced any traditional Catholic music at mass when I was growing up. I was hoping that some forum members who have attended the Colloquium in the past could fill me in on what to expect.
  • BenBen
    I went last year for the first time, though I've followed it pretty closely online for the past several.

I'm not going to hide my bias that I think the CMAA is absolutely fantastic, but personally, I think the colloquium would be great for you, if the money isn't a deterrent for you. For someone who has a spark of love for sacred music and is involved in it, the colloquium is a great place to meet others who are similarly minded, and to learn so much about it.

I look forward to meeting you, if you are able to come!
  • BenBen
    Also, I've never claimed I am the most eloquent speaker, but here are some videos I made for the chant cafe last year, with a small taste of all the different aspects of a day at the colloquium.

HERE
    Thanked by 1shawnk
  • TCJ
    I don't think you can go wrong attending at least once. The classes are so varied there is something to interest everyone. As Ben said, cost is probably the worst thing about it, but if you can afford it, it's well worth every cent.
  • Hella tight. That's what it is.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Colloquium, for this old dog, was a game changer. Don't know if I'll make this one, but if you're close, figure out $, hook lodging with someone like Yanke (if you like "intensity"), or Motyka or Morber, you'll find mystagogical Disneyland/Vahalla/Shangrila.
  • I'm an organist/vocalist and went for the first time last year. My background is like this: I wanted to do something more challenging than what I'm used to doing at most parishes. I didn't have (and still don't have) any particular attraction to the EF, but I wanted to know more about it and be able to do the music for it if it was ever requested of me. And generally speaking, I like chant and polyphony and wanted a chance to explore it.

I wasn't disappointed, in the least. I put myself in the beginner stuff, and I learned an absurd amount, a lot of which I could use back home. It also confirmed for me that at some point, I want to do church music full-time.

So if you can make it work, I definitely believe it's worth it. I'm hoping to go again this year (and as a bonus, I have family in the area that I can visit). Hope this helps!
  • canadashcanadash
    Ditto Tim. Only, by accident, I put myself in the more difficult stuff... It didn't much matter. People were so welcoming and I learned a great deal.
  • Carl DCarl D
    The Colloquium can feed your inspiration for the whole year, give you enduring friendships, and teach you more than you thought possible. You'll personally sing some of the most beautiful music on the planet.

Go if you possibly can.
  • chonakchonak
    You can get a good idea of how the Colloquium works from the documentary made of Colloquium XIX in Chicago by our friends at the new-media outfit Corpus Christi Watershed:
    https://vimeo.com/8941838
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Yes, especially the parts featuring a silver haired soprano beauty!
  • at about 7:00, right?
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • WendiWendi
    I'm not able to make this one, but I heartily endorse it. If you are able to go...go. You won't regret it.
  • Carolus16
    Thank you for all the responses; I've decided to attend. I look forward to meeting many of you there!
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab