Prelude Music Permissable During Lent?
  • Considering some of the other academic threads on this forum, I almost feel silly for posing this question, but here goes: During Lent, in the EF, is it permissable to do any unaccompanied vocal music before Mass, or is silence advisable?
  • dad29
    In the EF use of the organ during Lent is forbidden during the Mass. However, before or after the Mass, organ/instrumental works are allowed, (in keeping with the spirit of the season, of course).

IMHO, the less, the better, or at least one could diminish that use as one approaches Holy Week.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I used to do this 7 or 8 years ago when I was director of www.windsorlatinmass.org - but if I were doing a TLM today I wouldn't. Hindsight is much clearer.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • Matthew, Dad,

OP asked about unaccompanied vocal music.

I think, Expeditus, that it would depend on what the unaccompanied music was, and whether it was used as prelude or as processional.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • ghmus7
    There are countless threads on this forum about this.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I understood the question. Of course it is permissible. I've done it. I wouldn't do it today.

Replacing an organ prelude with something else just doesn't work with me. Silence can make us uncomfortable. Advent and Lent silence before Mass is now a must-have for me. Except when I see them drag out the rose vestments. Then they get something kinda loud.
  • However, before or after the Mass, organ/instrumental works are allowed,

?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Matthew, Dad,....
    Chris, I had no idea you are MJM's progeny. That explains so much! But until the BIG ONE hits CA on the San Andreas, don't migrate to the desert, we need you here!:-)

• dad29
    aaaarrrrggghhhhh
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • Matthewj, did you come to your decision over a period of time, or was there a specific experience/reading that more abruptly influenced you? After reading your post, I am more inclined to forgo the idea of any prelude chants.

In the course of trying to find an answer to my original question, I had come across one source (that I am now unable to locate), which stated that in Poland, no music was heard in churches for the duration of Lent. I am assuming that this was pre-1962? Is anyone familiar with this?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Yes, over a period of time. I think I used to fear the silence.
  • I don't think there will be a legalistic answer to this question...

I would say you have to assess the situation at your particular parish. There is a real difference between a prayerful, pregnant silence, and a merely awkward silence full of shuffling, coughing, whispering, as people come in to the church. This can change even between different masses - even outside of Advent and Lent I often wonder if I should play a prelude in the still, dark, silent church before our early Sunday Mass. The other Masses are a lot more...active beforehand, and a prelude seems really necessary.

At any rate, the point of a vocal or instrumental prelude should be to enhance the prayerful atmosphere and general sense of sacredness of the space before Mass. If that is what is happening in your case, I say, go for it regardless of season (keeping the repertoire appropriate, of course). If you are disrupting prayerful silence, maybe it's not a great idea.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • francis
    I never have music before and after mass during Lent.

And this whole EF/OF thing is a ruse. The music should be treated the same. It is the Mass, and the season in which we are celebrating (or repenting) should dictate our musical behaviour.

Sorry... forgot to warn you... apodictic statement above.
    Thanked by 2expeditus1 CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    I play appropriate Lenten pieces on the organ during "Pink Sunday," but not for the rest of the season. Now if someone could convince the guitarists in the other parishes in town that no instrumentals except...means guitars, too. Just last week a fairly well-respected musician in this city asked where the instrumental ban came from. She said no one else follows it and where did I get the idea we should not play instrumentals during Lent.

I don't follow EF legislation, only the OF GIRM. I have enough headaches near Easter without worrying about what the EF crowd is doing. The OF folks do a great job of driving me crazy by themselves and without outside help.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • CharlesW, can your madness be wholly attributed to the OF folks?
    Thanked by 1francis
  • CharlesW
    Let's just say it doesn't help matters any. I am a Byzantine in the den of lions, sometimes. Other times, not so much.

BTW, you do know the difference between musicians working in a Protestant and a Catholic church, right?

The Protestant church pays a just wage. LOL.
  • mahrt
    The most important thing is that there be a difference between Ordinary Time and Lent and that difference convey the spirit of Lent. If you play a prelude before Mass in Ordinary Time, then either only vocal music or silence would be good.

The idea that there be no music in Lent, is totally contrary to the tradition, however; Lent is the only season for which a separate set of Mass Propers are provided for each individual day. If Lent is a turn to conversion to a more serious occupation with sacred things, then a MORE intense, more sacred music is appropriate. In the Gregorian repertoire, the tracts serve that purpose.