Wanted: Short Chorale Prelude on LLANFAIR
  • SalieriSalieri
    I am preparing for Holy Week and Easter, and am looking for a short chorale prelude on LLANFAIR which I can play between the singing of the Offertory Antiphon and the Hymn ("Christ the Lord is risen today"). Nothing really long (something a la Bach or Buxtehude would be out of the question), but more interesting than simply play a verse of the tune; Any suggestions?
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    I always get tempted by easy sounding music efforts ... a quick reminder of that tune led me to begin chorale-preludizing it in a way that ended up more "Simple Gifts" than LLANFAIR ... which might mean its structure, harmony, and melody while successful are not good material for making a prelude.
  • Robert Powell's setting might be useful. The whole piece is two legal-sized pages in the Augsburg Organ Library anthology Easter book, but if that's even too long I can see an easy cut from m. 23 to the fanfare-like intro/coda, or possibly even going straight into the hymn.
  • I'll check my Thalben-Ball book. There may be something there. It's bound to be in one of the Oxford hymn prelude books.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Festive as it is LLANFAIR, with its AABA melody and undeveloped harmonization (in the 2nd and 4th lines), is rather more conducive to singing than it is to listening. Once you know the 1st and 3rd lines, you know the whole thing! EASTER HYMN is a much better and more interesting tune, in my humble opinion.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • ronkrisman
    Check out the setting in Hymn Harmonizations for Organ, Vol. I, by John Ferguson, published by GIA (G-6753). Other harmonizations in the same volume: AUSTRIAN HYMN, DIADEMATA, ELLACOMBE, HYFRYDOL, LOBE DEN HERREN, PUER NOBIS, REGENT SQUARE, ST. ANNE, WINCHESTER NEW.
  • I use this index, which gives some basic information even without a subscription: http://www.organ-biography.info/chorales.php.
  • There is a setting in one of the volumes (Easter?) of The Parish Organist from Concordia (early 60s). I believe it's in the Key of G. I sometimes go as low as D major for this hymn tune.