• mrcoppermrcopper
    Edit, many thanks for the comments, I'm taking down what was posted and continuing work on it.
  • Weird. But then we sing about being soldiers of destiny.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Darn. Weird is not the reaction one seeks when writing a song for the masses and the ages.
  • Well I am sure there are all sorts of historical references that have escaped me. The some had slaves verse immediately struck me as a celebration of gay marriage. Was this the intent?
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Huh, no, didn't even think of gay marriage. But Virginia's history as a slave state is a big deal here. And, if you are not from the usa, you probably don't recognize "virginia is for lovers" as the USA's biggest state-tourist-publication-motto success story.
  • nope, that reference passed me by. But words and meanings change over time. I liked the forward looking bit about teaching your children the lessons learned.

Yes, some had slaves,
    And most made war,
    And all did things
    We have regretted evermore,
    But we came through,
    And born anew,
    We've made Virginia now for lovers of all hue.

While owning slaves we learnt the truth
    That God made all men free
    In fighting war we came to know
    That peace brings liberty
    Our children's children we will teach
    this wisdom from above
    To put aside the bonds of hate,
    Virginians! live in love.

Wrong metre, I know.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Yes the meter does not quite fit but I like the ideas ... will work from some of those. And the "teach your children" bit is straight out of the Bible, Exodus I think or maybe Deuteronomy.

• Liam
    The most fundamental problem: a state song, to be credible, needs to have already been embraced by its people as speaking to their identity. It's not something one composes with the intention to get it so embraced.

Virginia had a state song for generations. For worthy reasons, it retired the song. But your task of Sisyphus is that Stephen Foster is the founder of American popular song, and you struggle, I think in vain, against that powerful cultural ghost.

Shenandoah is a hauntingly lovely popular song, but even it has not managed to break through.

My own best suggestion: it's better for Virginia not to have a new state song. Besides, Virginia is so schizoid culturally now that I don't think it can embrace a new one, given how much of the state has become dependent on the political-national security-industrial complex over the last 35 years or so.

On a more technical level, your text suffers from equivocation about the audience. Is it being addressed to anyone? It sounds like one is singing *about* Virginia, but not *to* or *with* anyone in particular.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Our state has a song which everyone thinks is the state song, and then the actual state song. Hint: Jim Nabors does not sing our state song at a semi-prestigious sporting event.
  • Liam
    Speaking of Foster's My Old Kentucky Home: when I visited Canterbury Cathedral in 1989, I attended midday prayers. As it turned out, it happened that the Eastern Kentucky University choir was invited to sing the service. After the service ended, they sang My Old Kentucky Home, quietly. It sounded so bittersweet in that acoustical space....
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • chonakchonak
    Stephen Foster fans may like to visit the little museum in his honor in Pittsburgh this summer during colloquium week.
  • CharlesW
    The slavery thing has been greatly over-done. Nearly all civilizations had them until machinery developed to the point they became impractical, inefficient, or no longer cost effective. Give it a rest. With relatives from Richmond and some in neighboring West Virginia, that area has changed so much in the last 20 years it would no longer be recognizable to the earlier inhabitants. Probably also true for much of the country.

In Tennessee we have what I consider a dreadful state song. However, the population has largely adopted and endorsed it so it stays. Our legislature - the best money can buy - also has adopted it as official. What can you do? LOL.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Wierdest thread ever.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • CharlesW
    So what's the CA state song? Moonbeam over Sacramento? LOL.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Just what Liam outlined:
    "California here I come, right back where I started from...."
    Niener
  • CharlesW
    That one is actually a pretty good song. As for the "Moonbeam" it seemed to me he did a good job of "mooning" the state - more than once. LOL.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Apologies, it is clearly not about sacred music, just seeking quick help from the experts here. If my lyrics are sub-par, don't blame me I'm just a composer.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    CharlesW, I live in one of the THE most rural, least changed areas in Virginia. And the confederate flag is part of the landscape. As a native Virginian myself, I understand the good half of the mixed message, we stood up for what we stood up for, but as an ex-cosmopolitan I definitely feel the bad two-thirds outweigh the good half of that particular usage.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    "Carry Me Back to Old Virginny" by the African-American James A. Bland was adopted by the Commonwealth of Virginia as its state song in 1878. A reworded version, "Carry Me Back to Old Virginia", was adopted in 1940 but in 1997 was retired and designated as the state song-emeritus. In 2006 "Shenandoah" was adopted as the interim state song, while a bill to make it the official state song was rejected. There has been an on-again, off-again competition for a new Virginia state song since 1998.

I lived in Virginia in 1957-58 and 1966-2004 and have watched the controversy about a Virginia state song with some detached amusement for a long time.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    James Bland is really a very good composer, it's too bad that so many of his songs (their lyrics) pandered to the expectation of his audience at the time. And of course O Shenandoah is a good song, just that it's not about the Shenandoah valley, nor for that matter is most of Virginia about the Shenandoah valley.
  • Xav
    Queensland has (Life is Great in the) Sunshine State
    http://enc.slq.qld.gov.au/vbook/slq/sunshinestate/index.htm
  • francis
    mrcopper

musically speaking:

not sure you want the tune, 'my dog has fleas' for the phrase "and most made war" and the phrase soon after... and... I wouldn't go as high as an E... you are repeating the bane of the star spangled banner... too wide a spread in the tessitura of the common people.

in general when writing a melody for a non musical audience to sing, I would use larger intervals at the beginning of a phrase and make them shorter as I progressed (or at least keep them all within the triad [arpeggio]), so ending on a D instead of the E.
    Thanked by 1mrcopper