Poor me, I never knew this was a thing
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Yikes. At least, on the mundane level, they are giving employment to music arrangers. Maybe a lone arranger, maybe a few. Hi-ho, Tonto.
  • Liam
    I imagine the fundamental position of Arranger of Choristers is particularly, um, delightful.
  • What really stood out to me...nobody in the congregation is singing.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Just reinforces my belief that people go to those places more to be entertained than to worship.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • WendiWendi
    Which explains the theater seating complete with cup holders for the starbucks they buy in the lobby (gathering space).
  • CharlesW
    There is a huge Baptist church here that does the same thing, with attendance in the thousands. A former supervisor from my pre-retirement days sings in that choir. I don't know how they keep that porker from crashing the risers. LOL.
  • Liam
    I resemble that comment!
  • CharlesW
    Hah! LOL. The cure: E-X-E-R-C-I-S-E! Of course, a padlock on the refrigerator door doesn't hurt. LOL.
  • There is a huge Baptist church here that does the same thing, with attendance in the thousands. A former supervisor from my pre-retirement days sings in that choir. I don't know how they keep that porker from crashing the risers. LOL.

I know the organist. He plays live before the performances, but the entire performance is lip-synched, lip-played, using the cd of the performance they recorded the previous summer to sell at these performances.
  • francis
    Imagine if we as Catholic's had the resources (and I mean the money) to put toward the efforts of schola, choir and organ during the liturgy... what a shame all this goes into something so... don't even know what word to use.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW hilluminar
  • chonakchonak
    The stage display looks very odd: why two trees? Isn't it contrary to noble simplicity?
  • canadashcanadash
    We went to something like this a week or so ago. It was SO loud and obnoxious. But the people loved it. I took my daughters and after about 20 minutes one started to cry. I asked the other if we could leave. When we got to the car they both told me how happy they were to get out of there. I told them I was happy too.

At the play I attended, it seemed that they were lip-synching, though I can't be sure. The choir was huge. There was a full paid orchestra, not that I could hear the strings.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • francis
    I was once asked to be the DoM of a mega church in the 80's which had the same kind of resources in Baltimore as I was known to play CCM back then.

http://www.trinitylife.com/
  • GavinGavin
    As one priest once said, "Christmas Spectacular? There's nothing spectacular about s--t and straw!"
  • Lip synching! Never thought of it. If I got the kids little fake beards do you think e could pass themoff as the monks of santo domingo de silos?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    pass themoff as the monks of santo domingo de silos?

"Ore-snay! Ore-snay!"
    Thanked by 3Adam Wood Salieri Wendi
  • ?
  • WendiWendi
    We love that cd. LOVE it. There is nothing worse than a humorless Catholic. So I try not to be one.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Oh, the glories of Pigorian Chant!!
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Quick! I have some very nice, friendly, cleanly, and kind hogs. Can ship them to any manger in the US before the spectacular starts. They make very endearing oinks and grunts, though they don't sing unless a friend nips them meanly.
  • ryandryand
    WHY ARE THERE NOT AUDIO EXAMPLES
    Thanked by 1veromary
  • Pigorian Chant

I never knew THAT was a thing!