What Musicians Do Wrong (Back Away from the Bar)
  • Kathy
    We talk a lot here about communication problems in the parish. One untapped--haha--source of problems might be the local watering hole.

Here's what sometimes happens. Choir does a great job at rehearsal, Lessons and Carols, or whatever. Everyone is pumped and so somebody figures out a bar and everybody goes.

Everybody is tired and thirsty and gets buzzed pretty fast. It is more than agreeable and the congratulations and compliments whiz through the air like happy birds. A good time is had by all. Somebody offers to drive Norman home as usual, and the party breaks up except for that one potential couple who stay behind...

The problem as I see it is twofold.

First, there can be a certain amount of unreality in the degree of pleasure the choir takes in its skill level at times like this. Something about the brewskis makes us realize that we sounded AWESOME. This illusion can be offset to some degree by diligent and regular use of reality-check recordings.

Secondly, others in the parish aren't "in" on this experience and don't realize that this is a big high happy moment.

So, imagine on a normal Thursday you get a whiney parishioner email from someone who doesn't like the current Sanctus, unfortunately forwarded from your boss. No prob, handle with professionalism, and move on.

Now imagine it's a slightly groggy Monday morning after that AWESOME Sunday complete with those STUNNING Lessons and Carols, but first of all the copier is broken, again, and you still haven't gotten paid for the funeral two weeks ago so you're going to have to talk to the passive-aggressive business manager at some point--and you get the same email.

• It's the same way in the classroom, although it really shouldn't be: some days I'm more lenient than others, especially when it comes to students entering and leaving the room frequently. It can change depending on mood, and current happenings in one's life. Prayer is really the answer, and my rosary has become my best friend as of late. Not sure why it wasn't before.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Gosh, we don't even have watering hole post-autopsy, and the job, er, calling really seems at loose ends and zero sum game. Add bronchitis to the mix....sigh. Dealing with the office? One whose office is indeed clerical needs a secret Santa DVD of "Calvary" post-haste, because no one, NO ONE, can figure out how the person made it to "commencement."
    A year and a half, a year and a half.
  • This illusion can be offset to some degree by diligent and regular use of reality-check recordings.

I don't do this every single week, but when I get into the habit I do tend to start doing it consistently. It's amazing what recording the choir and listening each Sunday does. Our sound always improves greatly in the first two weeks of doing this after a period where I've not done it.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    6 members of my choir and I went out last night for drinks and KARAOKE~!

Somehow karaoke seems better when you're with 6 professional singers.

Fun was had by all, though nobody took me up on my offer to take them next door to the tattoo parlor to get matching William Byrd Reges Tharsis tattoos.
  • I would think you'd want them NOT to match; everybody gets their own voice part.
  • CharlesW
    I would think you'd want them NOT to match; everybody gets their own voice part.

So they are bi-sectional? :-) Those are the really versatile ones.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • That's better than a tattoo of somebody ELSE's voice part, in places where they can be covered up for business use. :-)
  • IanWIanW
    Our local schola sings Sunday evening, once a month. We then scrupulously proceed to a committee meeting. That it's in a pub and the chairman closes business in a minute is neither here nor there.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Should I be gifted with one more visit to the isle, Ian, may I please join your schola on that Sunday, be derided officially in the literal minute(s) of the meeting, and then commence to hoisting whatever the host has to offer?
  • IanWIanW
    My pleasure, M.
  • Record the choir - genius! I love this forum.