Catholic Music Education Curriculum
  • Hello colleagues,
    I'm assisting the diocese in putting together a comprehensive catholic music education curriculum for use in our diocese.
    My question at this point, and feel free to add other relative input, is what pieces in the core literature should a high school senior should have sung before leaving high school? Grateful for all your input (and happy thanksgiving!).
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I'm a bit skeptical about a 'core' of specific titles, but obviously, the B minor Mass and Messiaen's O sacrum convivium. One would also expect them to know at least one Mass by Palestrina and one by Byrd, Lasso or Victoria; another from the Viennese school, some music by Brahms, Bruckner and Stravinsky, and a Handel oratorio.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Mass I, VIII, IX, XI, and XVII or XVIII.

Some of the seasonal Communion propers (Qui manducat, etc).

Requiem Mass propers.

Some principles of semiology and at least some basic experience with the Triplex.
  • I knew I could count on you for a comment, Matthew :)
  • It depends, I suppose, on how you see the focus of music education in the diocese. If you are focusing solely on sacred, mass-appropriate music, I would make the primary requirement be the entire Jubilate Deo booklet from Pope Paul VI. The next step, if you want to go further, would be some of the propers, the most common sequences and some additional chant mass settings. Here you could add the requiem mass propers and such. Then you would look into polyphonic mass settings and motets. Ultimately the final few steps, I think, would depend on the numbers you have in your programs.

Ultimately, though, I think that finding music that teaches the skills you want the students to learn is more important than a set list of repertoire they must all know. I would rather see a list of the skills and abilities you want to students to achieve and learn instead.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • MatthewRoth
    I second Matthew's comment. I also think if one has a full fledged chorister program, like Jeffrey Morse so successfully put together, then they will be singing far more than that regarding the Propers, but I think knowing the Requiem Mass and the Mass Salve Sancta Parens for the time outside Easter, Lent, and Advent (I presume the EF propers carried over into the OF...) is the bare minimum. For polyphony, I don't know. High school choirs sometimes sing tougher pieces than liturgical choirs, other times not.

I also think JPike's idea and Matthew's repetoire proposal are not so opposed. One presenting these pieces as examples of the Catholic musical paradigm will need to impart the skills necessary to sing sacred music, chant above all but also polyphony and choral works.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    This doesn't exactly go along with the question, but teaching them how to navigate through the church's liturgical books would also be a very helpful skill. If they know enough about the liturgical year and enough basics of Latin to be able to find where they should flip to in the Graduale Romanum and Simplex without being need to be told "the page number" they will be instant leaders of the future.
  • Kathy
    I agree with Matthew's list but disagree about the age-appropriateness. This chant repertoire should all be learned by sixth grade.

If kids coming into high school do not have this repertoire, a shortened version should be learned in the first year. Then straight into polyphony.
  • Some of the answers above seem to be oriented toward a Catholic music appreciation program, (B minor mass?) more than a practical course to produce Catholic musicians. I also question the repertoire-based bias of the question. Here's what they need to know by the time they leave high school: the rudiments of voice production, and the ability to reliably sightread chant and any 16th-century polyphony (they should also have experience in reading earlier and later music, but it's best to have them master one musical language). I like the idea of starting with chant, since there is so much there that is foundational to later music, and limitations in the language that make it easier to master from a literacy point of view. After that, what one wants in an ideal world is a set of graded polyphonic music readers, but I don't know that such a thing exists. The Rhau Bicinia of 1545 were designed for such a purpose among Lutherans; there are a number of Latin-text pieces in there that could be useful, many in canon.

This approach doesn't necessarily negate the Great Books approach, but subsumes a canonical repertoire to a higher goal. If you're looking for titles, probably the "Arcadelt" Ave Maria, Byrd and Mozart Ave Verums (maybe Faure too) etc. ... basically the chestnuts, as well as representative samples of specific genres.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    There's a lot we aren't told besides how much chant incoming freshman have sung but the time they join a presumably mixed choir, and whether resources to do major works with orchestra are lacking (in which case Jesu meine Freude could do instead), and whether Seniors are going on to a college ensemble. But I worry about 'practical' and 'Catholic' musicians who might go their entire careers without having had a chance to sing the Missa solemnis or the Symphony of Psalms. Surely they'll absorb the chestnuts and the olde spurioucitie shoppe Arcadelt and John of Portugal in good enough time once they graduate to the school of hard knocks.

I wonder how often many of us teach our choirs a longer-than-5' piece?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • I am reminded that 10-12 year olds are singing the treble lines in some of the finest choirs in the world. If you teach young people quality music of any historic period, I firmly believe that they will accept the challenge and rise to the occasion. Teach them to be musical and well-read in the great treasury of choral music.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Kathy
    I absolutely agree with Samuel. Set the bar high and kids will reach it, and their growing souls will be well nurtured too.

It also seems to me that the childhood-chant / teenage-polyphony schema is the last chance people have to learn the historical development of music in their own real time. Going back to chant after learning contemporary pop is archival learning, archaeology.

Learning chant first is like learning to strike flint before you learn to strike a match. You're doing what humans do.
    Thanked by 2athome33 canadash
  • I wonder how often many of us teach our choirs a longer-than-5' piece?

I wonder how many of us have liturgies that can contain a longer-than-5' piece? Not that the liturgy needs to be the final arbiter of what music to learn, but first things first. And how many public schools do longer than 5' pieces, or pieces with orchestra? That doesn't need to be the standard either; we can do better. But there may be good reasons that such things aren't done.

Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    Before a wonderful program is put together, one must look at the teachers who are available. Here, in my province, when I began teaching, a new curriculum was put into place. The goals were lofty. Very lofty. Most teachers could never deliver the program without a good foundation, if not a degree in music. So the teachers did next to nothing.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • melofluentmelofluent
    It begs mention that, to my knowledge, in all likelihood diocesan departments of education basically absorb and adapt (very little) public state education curricula, none of which is deigned to have any Catholic emphasis. I've culled through ours out west here, and it is so broad of scope, and as our Canadian friend posits, so lofty, expansive and comprehensive, not even those of us with post-baccalaureate degrees could meet the criteria with the limited classroom time alotted in K-8.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • , I would make the primary requirement be the entire Jubilate Deo booklet from Pope Paul VI

this. though would add to the selections of mass, it seems odd to me that the mass setting here is from several different masses, I would try to ensure they had a whole mass.
    Something about chanting psalms too, the laity are meant to be able to use the liturgy of the hours also.