Thinking About Advent
  • Okay, with Advent fast approaching we need to think about what we're going to do. I guess that there is always a standard staple of music we play for Christmas, so we don't need to worry too much about that.

Last year I started mid-Advent in a parish church, only to discover that the group of girls who had been doing the music for the past 4 or 5 years had never sung "O Come, O Come Emmanuel." Surely, if you know no other Advent music, you know this one!

So for this Advent, at the risk of boring some parishioners, "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" will be sung at every mass, with different verses each week, and for weeks 1-3 I will also be doing "Come Thou Long-Expected Jesus" Advent 4 will be the usual round of Marian Hymns, with "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" as the recessional, and probably "Let All Mortal Flesh" at Communion.

The past 12 months have been quite a lot of hard work to rebuild the parish's hymn-singing tradition. This was largely achieved by selecting a relatively small corpus of hymnody which was repeated regularly so that it would be remembered by the congregation.

The various groups that took care of the evening masses before me were basically only interested in singing pop songs. One such group was entrusted to take care of Christmas Mass one year because the organist had a broken leg and couldn't get up into the choir gallery and they sang (in no particular order): "Mary's Boy-Child"; "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"; "When a Child is Born" (probably infringing copyrights along the way too!)

This clearly demonstrates the calibre of "musicians" I have had to deal with.

Any other ideas or suggestions for what I should be pushing during Advent this year?
  • We'll be doing it in Latin this year. That might help with monotony for your choristers. I'm browsing through some old hymnals this week. I have to find stuff in Latin since it is for an EF Mass. If I find something of particular note, I'll drop a line on this thread.
  • E'en So Lord Jesus Quickly Come- Paul Manz <--One of my personal favorites!<br />O Come, Divine Messiah
    Rorate Caeli

We always did "Of the Father's Love Begotten" for a Lessons and Carols service during Advent. It was a college choir singing at a church, so I don't know if it's liturgically accurate, but it was another one of my favorites. I might have to wait until Christmas to do it after some more research.
  • We are switching to Mass XIII for Advent. On December 8, we are singing the Offertory Proper in addition to the Communion (right now we just do the Communion because I just started introducing the Propers).
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • JonLaird
    I encountered the opposite, where "Veni Emmanuel" was already sung at every Mass in Advent. Given the origin of the texts, we now only sing it the Fourth Sunday of Advent. Our weekly staple, instead, is "Creator of the Stars of Night." We will also, as usual, be switching from Salve Regina to Alma Redemptoris Mater after the dismissal.

Though I didn't originally have it on my lists this year, I'm considering introducing "O Quickly Come, Dread Judge Of All."
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • donr
    We will do the Entrance / Offertory / Communion Antiphons in English from the Lumen Christi Series. We will sing Creator Alma Siderum and Alma Redemptoris throughout Advent. We will sing Alma Redemptoris by Palestrina for 4th Sun as well as O Come, O Come, Emanual.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Introducing Paul Jernberg's MASS OF ST. PHILIP NERI (and Gloria at Midnight.)
    That, and accompanying everything on ukeleles, hammered dulcimers (or was it dulcimers played by people who are hammered holding hammers?), bazoukis, shakuhachis, mariachis, zimblesterns, ocarinas, macarenas, JewsHarps/JawHarps (we've colored them red or blue, gotta make it PC, y'know), timbrels, serpents, sackbutts, slackbutts, and some other stuff lying around.
    So, yeah, we're pairing stuff down, keeping the organ parts to a minimal fraction of use.
    And there won't be any darn guitars, da-nya-beet!
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Creator of the Stars of Night / Conditor Alme

EASY. BEAUTIFUL.
    Thanked by 4Ben Gavin aria ryand
  • I would love to do "Creator of the Stars of Night", but I think that will have to wait until Advent 2015.

At the moment, I'm dealing with a congregation that isn't even familiar with "O Come Emmanuel" thanks to a various group of musicians who only sing about 20 "Youf Mass" songs throughout the entire year.

One of the reasons that I'm really going to push "Come Thou Long-Expected Jesus" is because it has the same tune as "Bethlehem has Many a Noble City" for Epiphany. It's a hymn-tune that I want the congregation to know. During the last few months during ordinary time, I had to re-introduce them to Old Hundredth - surely one of the best known hymn tunes in Christendom, but largely unknown in this parish.

In this parish we don't have hymn books, but rely on projection screens. I'd like to go back to hymn books, but it will be some time next year that the approved hymnal for Australia is available, and then it will be difficult to convince the parish to spend the money, particularly as we've just built a new presbytery and parish centre, as well as having just spent a packet on a new sound system for the church, refurbished the lighting system and we desperately need to install the air-conditioning system.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    We will be introducing Richard Proulx Missa Emmanuel at our parish for Advent and the choir is practicing Michael Praetorius Psallite arranged by Russell Robinson for a Christmas anthem.
    Thanked by 1SamuelDorlaque
  • SalieriSalieri
    How on earth do you not know "O Come Emmanuel"?!? Have they never listened to the radio? Do they know "O Come all ye Faithful"? Wow... just... wow.
    Thanked by 2canadash kenstb
  • Steve QSteve Q
    How on earth do you not know "O Come Emmanuel"?!? Have they never listened to the radio?

Happened in my predominantly Polish parish as well. I was astounded when I arrived. They swore they had never heard it before. The old-timers told me that they had been singing mostly Polish hymns until the guitarists arrived - from whom they never heard "Emmanuel". Guess they never listened to the radio either.

Now we sing it a cappella every week of Advent.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    If one is legitimately starting from scratch with Advent repertoire, I think Creator Alme/Creator of the Stars would be easier for folks to learn than Veni.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • I disagree. O Come, O Come Emmanuel has a memorable tune with a refrain that people seem to remember and like to repeat. As much as I like Creator of the Stars of Night, I think congregations would find it more "boring."
    Thanked by 1Ryan Murphy
  • This clearly demonstrates the calibre of "musicians" I have had to deal with.
    I don't think it has anything to do with the calibre, but rather of the exposure that they have had...
    Thanked by 2melofluent CHGiffen
  • Aside from the usual Christmas tunes we're doing a mix of traditional and contemporary Advent music. My personal contemporary favorite is Bernadette Ferrell's 'Christ be Our Light", the Advent version with the little dialogue in the middle. The choir at my home church did it last year with the handbell choir and it was beautiful. I'm also accompanying my husband on an arrangement of "I wonder as I wander", standard stuff but it's a nice arrangement and will sound great with violin.
    I miss the holiday concerts at my university. The choir director just loves John Williams's stuff from Home Alone, and I have to admit "Somewhere In My Memory" has a lovely melody. Too bad the text is all secularized and stuff...
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I haven't finalized what the choral portions of the seasonal concert will be, but I'm leaning towards a Stephen Paulus (RIP) retrospective.
  • CharlesW
    I am trying NOT to think about Advent - LOL. Where did the time go?
  • I'm thinking of St. Cecilia's, thank you very much!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • I always took "Christ Be Our Light" to be more of an "Epiphany to Lent" hymn, particularly suitable for Candlemas, but I break it out a few times during ordinary time after Easter.
  • The girls who took care of the evening masses were basically all into sacra-pop music - a mixture of some pretty awful 70s stuff and Hillsong - which is basically your Christian-Rock type music.

They had never sung "O Come Emmanuel" and in fact, they basically sang the same music all year around except that they would do some Carols at Christmas. They considered "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"; "When a Child is Born" and "Mary's Boy Child" to be the essential Christmas repertoire.

I would have had less work starting from scratch.

I'm pushing "Come Thou Long-Expected Jesus" to Stuttgart, because I will then use the same tune for "Bethlehem of Noblest Cities" at Epiphany.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Bulletin announcement cross post:
    Last evening's Schola St. Mary's rehearsal was very pleasant and productive. We glanced over the great "Cantique de Jean Racine" by Faure for our Sunday anthem, as it's always appropriate for All Souls in November prayers.
    More importantly, for our Nativity Concert, "“Carols, Pipes and Choirs of Angels," we earnestly started culling through the choral bits and have settled on a fairly American content this year.
    One of America's finest composers passed away recently, Stephen Paulus of Minnesota, so we're going to honor his memory with two carols, "Hallelu" and "Winter Song." We will add another beautiful carol anthem by Daniel Gawthrop, "This Child, This King." We will sing a setting of an old English carol text, "Adam Lay Ybounden" by Baltimore composer Douglas Kingsley paired with the well-known and loved "Jesus Christ the Apple Tree." And my friend from Wyoming Catholic College, Dr. Peter Kwasniewski will have two works premiered here in CA, a beautiful arrangement of "Silent Night" that the audience will join with, and an ethereal version of the "Huron Carol:'Twas in the Moon of Wintertime" that is ever so haunting. We will dedicate that to St. Kateri Tekawitha in her honor.
    In addition we're planning to have some organ and piano interludes, some vocal solos and a lot of carol singing by the audience to familiar carols. Sunday, 4pm, December 21 at St. Mary's, Visalia, CA. Hope to see you!
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Don't overlook the inspired original setting of "Once in Royal David's City" by Minnesota composer Daniel Kallman. It's available in two editions, one with harp accompaniment, the other with piano accompaniment. The Phipps Festival Chorus of Hudson, Wisconsin (in which I sing) has programmed it (for the second time) for its holiday concerts this year.

Also, my own a cappella "This Advent Moon" (text by Christina Rossetti) and "Creator of the Stars of Night" are being sung in a few places that I know of. Scores available at CPDL.
    Thanked by 1SamuelDorlaque
  • CharlesW
    A note for your information. "This Advent Moon" will be sung in Knoxville, TN during Advent.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Melo, your Nativity Concert sounds lovely. I was just reading your post before I saw this article about the upcoming Concerto di Natale at the Vatican, the program of which has just been released.

At the top of the list of rock/pop/jazz stars performing is the "Godmother of Punk", the infamous Patti Smith. Not being familiar with her work, I did a quick Google search and am speechless and horrified. Apparently, our pontiff personally invited her to perform.

This is what the Vatican regards as appropriate Christmas music???? This is the funky, low-brow, low-down paradigm we're supposed to emulate in our parishes???? Can you imagine what this stuff would "trickle down" to? Nicky Minaj, Mick Jagger and Beyonce? or maybe chillwave and glo-fi while we're at it? (Just recently had the misfortune of listening to these "music" forms which must be the absolute zero of the musical spectrum.)
  • CharlesW
    A sign of the Apocalypse? Maybe Francis is right, we are in the last days - our Francis, not the one in Rome.
  • That's funny.

I've never heard of her; and believe it or not, I do know who Niki Manaj, Meghan Trainor, Demi Lovato and One Direction are. But her name does not ring a bell.

I didn't do that much research, but this isn't a mass. And the only objectionable thing I could find about her is that she used the F-word to a group of people at one of her concerts. Not sure I'm "horrified."
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    There's no accounting for sensibilities, but if you check out the lyrics to "Horses" and Because the night" you'll find your typical nihilistic, anarchic, existentialist, death-obsessed drivel.

I'll spare you the images, but they're enough to raise Catholic eyebrows, I would imagine, at least in the circles I inhabit, but since I'm a traditional Catholic homeschooling mom with six kids my radar might be different from yours. : )

Of course we're not talking about a liturgical event, but I think a Christmas concert in the Vatican featuring punk rockers is enough to raise cognitive dissonance in just about anyone.

Let me leave you with this: if I can't access the videos of CeCe Rogers (an American jazz artist who will also be at the Christmas concert) without disabling the Safety Mode on YouTube because of restricted content what does that say? Like our friend Patti Smith, It doesn't sound like he's a G-rated performer either.

The pope, cardinals and bishops are gonna be rockin and rollin' and gettin' down at that concert, I guess.
  • Now that I've read the lyrics to "Because the night" I know who she is! That song is old, I think.

I'm not sure what I think of your assessment regarding the lyrics being "nihilistic, anarchic, existentialist, death-obsessed drivel." I might agree with you to some extent but I also think that you're thinking about them deeper than she intended anyone to.

I haven't read them close enough (because I'm in a hurry at the moment), but I suspect there might actually be some good imagery in them. There's often a lot of truth in some of these songs, it's just expressed in somewhat vulgar ways.

I agree that it's kind of surprising, but obviously some of her message resonates with the Pope.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Suum cuique pulchrum est.
  • I didn't even know Patti Smith was still performing! She was very 1978, so I'm not surprised that you lil' kids hadn't heard of her.

Maybe His Holiness wanted Sandi Patty and got confused.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • melofluentmelofluent
    My thoughts as well, Jeffrey. If the divorced Ms. Patty could take "Awesome God" or one of Dana's insipid tunes up beyond the heliosphere, I suppose there might be a smidge more comfort.
    Of course, for all the youngin's who don't know the proto Sinead O'Connor that Smith truly was (ala the Ramones), we could hope she covers "G-L-O-R-I-A" (Morrison/Them) and call it a nativity tune! I like her version as much as the classic.
    Lord, JQ, you're showing your geezerhood like us Charles'! We're thinking of getting a Del Webb condo in Phoenix so we can harass MJM daily, in person. Oh, his humanity!
  • Suum cuique pulchrum est.
    Translation, please?
  • I don't suppose anyone thinks about setting the O Antiphons for Sung Vespers in Advent?
  • Does anyone have 'Silent night' in Latin - in the same metre?
  • Does anyone have 'Silent night' in Latin - in the same metre?

I'm not sure- Silent Night was originally written in German. Someone might have translated it decently into Latin, though. (Not me, unless I really brush up on my Latin.)
  • I have the Latin words from the worship aids from the Franciscan friars of the Holy Land. I'll post them later today.
  • CPDL has made our work much easier and more economical!!! Check the lists by season and feast days. You will find more resources than you can ever use. A very helpful aid is having the listings of the proper (both EF and OF: side-by-side). With so much available, it is next to impossible to have all appropriate pieces listed in each category; so, if you cross-reference by title or composer, you will often find a myriad of new possibilities.
  • Silet nox
    1. Silet nox! Contrémit nox! Ómnium silet vox!
    Sonat ardens adstántium Cor, Sonat tuum, o Iésule, Cor.
    R/. Pax homínibus Tu! Pax homínibus Tu!
    2. Silet nox! Contrémit nox! Ángeli silet vox!
    Currunt gaudens pastóres ad Te, currunt quærénte Infántulum Te.
    3. Silet nox! Contrémit nox! Nostra nunc silet vox! Blande Puer illúmina nos, Blande ridens lætífica nos.
  • @Charles I'm trying not to think about Advent either. My contract strictly forbids me to miss any service during this time and I hope I don't get sick or have some kind of crisis. Ugh.

• CharlesW
    @Charles I'm trying not to think about Advent either. My contract strictly forbids me to miss any service during this time and I hope I don't get sick or have some kind of crisis. Ugh.

Prayers for your good health this winter. I have to keep people at a distance to the greatest degree possible. I am allergic to mycin drugs, and wouldn't you know, they are in flu shots. So no flu shots for me. If I make to spring without illness, I consider myself blessed.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here is a live recording of the Phipps Festival Chorus singing Dan Kallman's engaging "Once in Royal David's city" from the concerts on December 6th. It features the piano accompaniment rather than the harp accompaniment.