New work for Pentecost
  • rogue63
    The text is from the opening prayers of the Divine Liturgy (well, sort of...they're the standard prayers for any non-Divine Liturgy service). Six-part, SSATTB. Please attack and comment at will. Feel free to PM me if you like.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    cool. can we get a mp3 or midi file?
  • rogue63
    Tried to upload my choir's MP3 of this, but the file was too large. Send me your e-mail and I can send it to you off-forum.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Try running your MP3 file through Switch to get a lower bit rate. Or send it to me: chg at yahoo dot com.
  • rogue63
    OK, I've got Switch---how do I do the conversion and lower the bit rate? It's not clear from the help section.
  • rogue63
    Found it! Here is my choir's recording of this from Pentecost 2014. Several misses, but not bad for amateurs. I welcome your comments!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanks for the performance MP3. What a clean, clear sound, especially from the high soprano! It's nice to hear something sung in 6 parts.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Good writing, thanks for posting it. In the recording, since the low voices are inaudible most of the time, you don't hear the occasional issue with things like 6-4 chords, close dissonance between low and high voice. If you want feedback, I'd go through and find those places -- not that many -- where there are parallel octaves, fifths in the bass, and non-harmonic tones that aren't heard. Mostly easy fixes, and might make the work incrementally better. Just one example, bar 2, from "-ry" to "to" can be improved.
  • rogue63
    Thanks for all the feedback! I did try to clean up the score of the items you suggested; usually it's passing dissonance at the 9th that sounds strangest if there's not a speedy resolution.