someone recommended software- help
  • Recently in a discussion someone recommended a free software music score producer for modern notation, very simple drag and drop sort of thing. I used it but my computer blew up and now I can't remember what it was called, or find the discussion thread where it was mentioned. Can anybody help? I have tried a few from the internet, but not found the one that was recommended, pulling my hair out.
    Any help appreciated.
  • Wikipedia has a list of music score software; maybe you'll recognize what you're looking for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scorewriters
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • I think MuseScore could be it. That's the most robust free notation software (and user community) I am aware of.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • Are you able to create non-metered scores and/or stemless notes with MuseScore?
  • BenBen
    Yes, I used to do it before I began using lilypond for that purpose (and I still occasionally do if I can't get lilypond to work).

It's not a perfect system, but you count the number of notes between phrases where you want a bar line, then set the measure to that length (set to a custom length of 32/4 for example, if you have a 33 note phrase with an open note (stemless half note) at the end). From there you can also set the staff (or just the measure) to stemless.

Feel free to PM or post if you need more details.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • I use NoteFlight, whose scores seem more readable to me, but I would have to check on stemless notes in the free version.

Kenneth