Prayers appreciated
  • My grandmother announced this past week that she is discontinuing her dialysis treatments. She has been on it for almost four years, and at nearly 87 years old it is no longer helping and causes more illness and pain than it's worth. She signed the papers with hospice care and we are spending as much time with her every day as we can. It could be tomorrow, or weeks from now, but it won't be long. There is also, sadly, a potential for an explosive family situation with some of the other grand children who have not kept contact, and Grandma has given the rest of us strict orders not to tell them what is happening. I'm not okay with this but I can't go against her wishes either...Life is just surreal at the moment. :-/

• Prayers, for you and the whole family.
    For forgiveness and peace. Life is so short, truly.

I lost my grandmother two years ago and find myself missing her daily. Such is love. I was able to keep some of her little things that remind me of her, which is a sweet and tiny consolation in what has been the "end of an era" for my extended family.

All this to say, I can relate, and will be praying for you during the weeks and months ahead.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    FiF- in your prayers you might consider thanking God for her dignity and bravery, lessons imparted over nearly 9 decades of love and sacrifice, no doubt. We will pray with and for you and your kin for all souls' wellbeing, so that her example of that love may always live and shine well into your family's future. God bless you all.
  • praying for you and your family.
  • CharlesW
    Prayers for all of you.
  • canadashcanadash
    It must be very difficult. Prayers.
  • We visited her yesterday, walked in as she was busily preparing a traditional stew her mom used to make. She seemed, for the first time in a long while, at peace. My grandmother was the first generation in a Romanian immigrant family, met my grandpa when she was 17, they eloped because he was not Romanian. He was an ironworker and drank like a fish, but they were married 63 years before his death. I saw old photographs of them when they were dating, one has my grandma in a 40's style swimsuit, standing next to a fabulous old coupe of some kind. She looked like a movie star. She is the strongest, wittiest, most incredible person I know and will ever know. She raised me for much of my childhood because my mom was a single mom and worked long hours. She taught me how to garden, how to walk through the woods and identify plants and trees, and patiently waited while I waded in streams to catch frogs and crayfish. When I programmed Bartok's Romanian Folk Dances on a recital she knew the tunes, apparently some have words, and told me how the Romanian Orthodox Church she attended as a child used to hold dancing festivals. I don't know why I go on like this I suppose...Thanks everyone for the kind words.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    My prayers for you, for your grandmother, and all your family.