Ignatius Press missalette?
  • CGM
    I bumped into this, a "subscription-based worship aid" to be published by Ignatius Press. Ignatius is the same company that publishes the Adoremus Hymnal, so it almost certainly has good music. I guess they start coming out in 2015? or maybe Advent 2014? Has anyone seen one?
  • I'm looking at the hymn list for this book - on the most part good, BUT...
    still "Eagle's Wings", "Here I Am, Lord", and other not-so-hot ditties too. And "Beach Spring" for "Glorious Things of Thee"??? I think most musicians would prefer "Austria".
    BMP
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen CharlesW
  • melofluentmelofluent
    BMP, nice to hear from you here, keepin' it real!
    Your old RPInet buddy, Charles/Yertle
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Their propers settings are very formulaic, and pale in comparison to those found in the Lumen Christi series. Also, the type setting is a bit lame. Also, these are still disposable.
  • BenBen
    I've looked at this publication, and while it is an improvement on most disposable worship aids, it's definitely a transitional piece, for a year or two when you can't completely ween everyone off the crap, but you're mostly there.
    Thanked by 1madelinececilia17
  • I posted my review of this resource in another thread, FYI.

Ben hit the nail on the head: the inclusion of “You Are Mine” et al. is very specifically intended to cater to parishes who still need some of that repertoire, whether for Sunday Masses, funerals, or what not.

I have mixed feelings about the chant melodies for the Missal antiphons.

I personally don’t mind that it’s a disposable resource. The printing and paper here are, IMO, of better quality than other such publications, and it doesn’t task the congregation with handling multiple books in the same service. I do agree that there is too much of “Be Not Afraid”; that said, it’s still a pretty comprehensive allotment of hymns. Of course, one wonders which hymns will stay in from year to year, which isn’t a problem with a hardbound hymnal.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Several (indeed most) of the tones for the Antiphons of the Propers given in the sample pages are simply Gregorian Psalm tones.
  • BenBen
    From my leafing through it, it looks like most of these are that way.