Music guidelines for EF Confirmation?
  • I just received word that Confirmation in the EF, for the first time in decades, will be held at our parish on March 19. It will be preceded by a High Mass sung by the children's choir. The Bishop will then confer the Sacrament about an hour later. I checked past threads for info on music guidelines, but couldn't find them if they were there. What are the EF music guidelines? It is during Lent, but then it is also the Feast Day of St. Joseph. Organ played? During which portions is music done? Aside from "Veni Creator" and "Confirma Hoc, Deus," what else should be done? Does the Bishop process in, and what suggestions for that? Is there music done during the actual confirming of candidates? (Made even more interesting since I am a Sponsor for one of the Candidates, as well as being organist, director, and singer.) Can anyone tell me what they typically program for their Confirmations?

I am currently in the throes of preparing our choir for their first sung EF Holy Week, so Confirmation comes only 5 days before we sing for Palm Sunday. As I had mentioned to someone else on the forum, throwing an entire Holy Week's music at your choir invites a response similar to that of high-schoolers taking the math portion of the ACT test.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Confirmation aren't done in the context of a Mass?
  • Mark P.
    Can you get your hands on an old "St. Gregory's Hymnal?" If so, No. 247 gives the program for the choir at Confirmation including the responses. Basically, it says that "Ecce Sarcerdos" is sung at bishop's entrance. Versicles and responses are sung. The antiphon "Confirma hoc Deus" is sung while the bishop washes his hands. Motets and hymns may be sung during the rite itself. My Liber Usualis has the Administration of Confirmation in it too.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • gregpgregp
    We have had Confirmation twice now, and in the same format as Mark P. mentioned. We did the confirmations before Mass.
  • Adam, I believe that EF Confirmations were typically followed by either a Mass or Benediction.

Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Protasius
    If I remember correctly, EF confirmations are exclusively done before Mass (or Benediction) since the Pontificale calls for the confirmands being jejunati, fasting in the strict sense it had in those days when even bination by a priest was a rare occurrence as by receiving communion one had broken the fast.

EDIT: added reference to Benediction
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • Mark P.
    My former pastor told me that Confirmation (pre-VII) was a completely separate rite that was concluded with Benediction.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • tomjaw
    I have a congregation booklet for the Confirmations we did some time ago. I will need to update the format to post on this site.

But below is what we sang...

Reception of the Bishop (Choir Sings Ecce Sacerdo magnus)
    Hymn Veni Creator

During the confirmation, the following will be sung. by the choir,
    Dum Complerentur by Victoria
    Veni Creator Spiritur by Victoria

We then had Benediction,
    O Salutaris
    Te Deum
    Ego sum panis vivus
    Tantum ego

Adoremus in aeternum

Marian Anthem

then Faith of our Fathers

Having Confirmations during Mass is one of the innovations of the N.O.
    Thanked by 2expeditus1 JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Reviving this thread since I've just been informed we will be having our very first celebration of Confirmation after our Sunday Missa Cantata on the Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary next month.

TomJaw's program is excellent; Do the confirmandi process in first, followed by the Bishop?

I thought we might sing Perosi's Ecce Sacerdos Magnus with verses for the arrival of the Bishop, is that kosher? Attached below.

Are there any other prescribed chants for the EF rite of Confirmation? All I can find is the Confirma hoc antiphon after the confirmation when the bishop washes his hands.

Would it be alright to sing these during the confirmation:

Confirma Hoc by Aichinger
    Veni, Creator Spiritus by Asola in alternatim with chant

Any help would be much appreciated.
  • Will Bishop DiMarzio confirm, or will it be another bishop?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Yes, it will be Bishop Di Marzio.

• tomjaw
    The Saint Andrew Daily Missal has the order... I had typed it up and made it into a UVOC style sheet, but it is in an ancient format. Will try to get drag out the text later.

The first part is the reception of the Bishop... If I remember rightly, the congregation would be seated, the confirmandi could also be seated, or process in, the priest / servers would then follow, they would then process to the main door to meet the bishop.

I have only seen this ceremony in large Churches, I do wonder how much of the ceremony would work in a chapel.

See link to Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Described... pg. 372 onwards.

http://archive.org/stream/ceremoniesofrom00fort#page/372/mode/2up
    Thanked by 2JulieColl CHGiffen
  • The Sacrament of Matrimony is also done before mass in the EF.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks so much, Tomjaw, for the link and for the note about St. Andrew Daily Missal. I have one so that will be very helpful. I couldn't find the order anywhere else. I was amazed at the significance of the ceremony for the reception of a bishop. It's all so very touching, esp. the prayers for absolution and a visit to the cemetery or church yard which will be quite appropriate in our case.

Thanks again!