Holy Cannoli, the CDW prefecture is finally up for grabs
  • Kathy
    Nomina dell’Arcivescovo Metropolita di Valencia (Spagna)

Il Santo Padre ha nominato Arcivescovo Metropolita di Valencia (Spagna) l’Em.mo Card. Antonio Cañizares Llovera, finora Prefetto della Congregazione per il Culto Divino e la Disciplina dei Sacramenti.

Em.mo Card. Antonio Cañizares Llovera
    Il Card. Antonio Cañizares Llovera è nato a Utiel, arcidiocesi di Valencia (Spagna), il 15 ottobre 1945. Ha seguito gli studi ecclesiastici prima nei seminari minore e maggiore di Valencia, poi presso la Pontificia Università di Salamanca, ove ha ottenuto il dottorato in Teologia con specializzazione in catechesi.
    Ordinato presbitero il 21 giugno 1970 per l’arcidiocesi di Valencia, è stato ivi Viceparroco e Delegato per la catechesi, Professore di Teologia Catechetica all’Università di Salamanca, Docente di Teologia Fondamentale nel seminario di Madrid, Direttore e Professore dell’Istituto di Scienze Religiose e Catechesi San Dámaso di Madrid, Responsabile della direzione degli studi del seminario di Madrid, membro di varie Commissioni e Segretariati della Conferenza Episcopale Spagnola, Promotore della Asociación Española de Catequetas, Direttore del Segretariato della Commissione Episcopale per la Dottrina della Fede.
    Nominato Vescovo di Ávila il 6 marzo 1992, ha ricevuto l'ordinazione episcopale il 25 aprile successivo.
    Il 10 dicembre 1996 è stato promosso alla sede Metropolitana di Granada.
    Il 24 ottobre 2002 trasferito alla sede Metropolitana di Toledo.
    In seno alla Conferenza Episcopale è stato Presidente della Sottocommissione Episcopale per l'Università (1996-1999), Presidente della Commissione per l’Insegnamento e la Catechesi (1999-2005), Membro della Commissione Permanente (1999-2008), Vicepresidente (2005-2008), Membro del Comitato Esecutivo (2005-2008).
    Creato Cardinale nel Concistoro del 24 marzo 2006, gli è stato assegnato il Titolo di San Pancrazio.
    Il 9 dicembre 2008 è stato nominato Prefetto della Congregazione per il Culto Divino e la Disciplina dei Sacramenti.
  • BruceL
    You say that like it's a good thing...
    Thanked by 2Salieri Gavin
  • SalieriSalieri
    Amlighty and Everlasting God,
    from whom all good things flow,
    we humbly beseech you,
    bearing always in mind
    the good of your holy Catholic Church,
    to protect, defend and guard
    the prefecture of the Congregation of Divine Worship
    and Discipline of the Sacraments
    from the hand of Piero Marini.
    Through Christ our Lord. Amen.
  • Kathy
    I'm as scared as anyone, let me assure you. In fact I'm grateful that it has taken this long.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Liam
    I sincerely doubt Piero Marini is going to be chosen to head a major dicastery at the age of 76.

That said, Pope Francis might have asked his input (either directly or, more likely, indirectly (that is, not about specific people)), among many people.

All that said, if one's views on liturgy (whether traditional or progressive or other) include too much dependence on who fills the prefecture of that dicastery or who fills the Shoes of the Fisherman, it's more of an issue of self-management than intercession.

• Kathy
    Liam, I think the question is whether one's views on liturgy will be un-implementable, because they are technically or culturally forbidden.
    Thanked by 2Salieri CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Let's just all take a deep breath... Continue doing Catholic music... And chill.
    Thanked by 2BruceL Spriggo
  • bonniebede
    Once more into the bunkers, dear friends, once more,
    or close the wall up with the English ordinariate...

I think not. Let us pray to and trust the Holy Spirit. Who could have predicted Summorum Pontificorum during the 1970's? Isn't God full of nice surprises....
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JulieColl
  • BruceL
    Seriously, though, my hope would be that Francis actually weakens the reach of the congregation a bit. I feel like the day of the highly-centralized curial congregations having a day-to-day effect on things is over. Fortunately that seems to coincide with better episcopal picks here in the US. I wasn't even Catholic in the 90's, but reading back on those days, I see the pre-Arinze CDW as being a little heavy-handed.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Interesting title to the thread announcement. Reminds me of what Fat Clemensa said to his chauffer after murdering Paulie in "The Godfather,"-
    "Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
    Ironically apt, the increase of things that don't make sense.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    If I see a job announcement for the vacancy, I'll post it.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    In all seriousness....

HHFrancis wants all to get all up in it and to emulate our Lord?
    "Eminence, I nominate as prefect Ms. Kathleen Pluth of the USA."
    Why not?
  • Kathy
    Thank you, Charles.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I mean it. The notion came to me almost immediately. The trajectory of your studies, your gifts, your intellect, your devotion to HMChurch, your experiences here and in Europe, et al, again why not?
    No bluster, no grand gesture, you'd take care of business. That's what matters.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    Time for a mimosa, me thinks (since it's still before noon here in MA).
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • Kathy
    I agree.

(About the mimosa!)
  • ronkrisman
    I sincerely doubt Piero Marini is going to be chosen to head a major dicastery at the age of 76.

Actually, Marini is only 72 1/2 yo. If he were to be selected (I'm not betting on it), conceivably he could serve as prefect for as many as 7 1/2 years (if his resignation at age 75 were not to be accepted).
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • ghmus7
    Maybe Arinze will be considered, I've been impressed with his common-sense approach. Though I can't recall what his post is at the moment.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Actually, Marini is only 72 1/2 yo.

A mere whippersnapper young'un, unlike a few of us.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Cardinal Arinze is 81, and is already Prefect Emeritus of the same office (CDW).
    Thanked by 1Ryan Murphy
  • Actually, Marini is only 72 1/2 yo.

Maybe it's the 4 hours of sleep talking, but I first read this as "Marini is only 72 1/2, yo."

And I laughed hysterically.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    You're channeling old Marini's agenda, Andy, the next big thing at LifeTeen has to be relevant hip hop rap.
    Thanked by 2Andrew Motyka Ben
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Like with anyone in, really, any position, the new prefect will bring a certain point of view, certain ideas, certain strengths, and certain weaknesses.

No matter who he is, we will learn from him, and there will be things that he says with which we can all agree, and other things which we might be much more critical of.

There's really no way that this can go wrong.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen

Be careful of what you wish for.
    Thanked by 3Gavin CharlesW Ben
  • JulieCollJulieColl

God bless you for your hopeful, youthful optimism, PGA! Speaking for myself, I'll hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Ben
  • Kathy
    Ideas? Or an ideology? That's the question.
  • Here's an idea --- just because it's fun. What if the current Papal MC, whose name is also Marini, were to be sent/banished/promoted to the CDW?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    What if the current Papal MC, whose name is also Marini, were to be sent/banished/promoted to the CDW?

A two-Marini launch?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I prefer my martini with an olive. : ) (Cf. gloria olivae)
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomjaw
    God bless you for your hopeful, youthful optimism, PGA! Speaking for myself, I'll hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

Well, I suppose it goes back to many other conversations that you and I have had here. I subscribe to the idea that the Church is neither "liberal" nor "conservative." The Church is the Church.

In other words, as long as the new prefect is chosen from among the Catholic hierarchy, we can't go wrong. And if we find ourselves at odds with the man appointed by the Pope to represent his ideas, maybe it's US that need to change, not him.
  • CharlesW
    And if we find ourselves at odds with the man appointed by the Pope to represent his ideas, maybe it's US that need to change, not him.

Change? Change? What's all this talk about change? Is outrage!!!
    Hope and change? :)
  • CharlesW
    I remember a certain politician promising, "Change we can believe in." We all know how THAT turned out, don't we?
  • Liam
    Considering the alternatives can cause others to realize it could even have been worse. Adult choices are often between bad and worse, as opposed to adolescent choices between good and bad.
    Thanked by 2BruceL CHGiffen
  • BruceL
    Well, I suppose it goes back to many other conversations that you and I have had here. I subscribe to the idea that the Church is should be neither "liberal" nor "conservative." The Church is the Church.

In other words, as long as the new prefect is chosen from among the Catholic hierarchy, we can't go wrong. And if we find ourselves at odds with the man appointed by the Pope to represent his ideas, maybe it's US that need to change, not him.

I took the liberty of fixing your post, PGA. :) I know what you're saying, though, and the hope that the church will project itself as neither "liberal" or "conservative" is why we should pray and not be complacent.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I've seen people on Facebook and whatnot, regarding this, having the full freakout, running around like chickens with their heads cut off. But in a world where Christians are LITERALLY getting their heads cut off, this is pretty small potatoes. I'm not saying that it's too late to lose the liturgical revolution. But when the other side is in retreat, who the general is doesn't matter much.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    The bad news from the Middle East is devastating. Actually, I'm not sure who the "other side" is anymore; it seems like there are so many fronts open now, I'm starting to feel a little besieged and have a little more insight into the psalms:

Circumdederunt me dolores mortis, et torrentes iniquitatis conturbaverunt me.
    Dolores inferni circumdederunt me; praeoccupaverunt me laquei mortis.

Commota est, et contremuit terra, fundamenta montium conturbata sunt, et commota sunt, quoniam iratus est eis.

Ascendit fumus in ira eius, et ignis a facie eius exarsit: carbones succensi sunt ab eo.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Jeffrey Quick
    There shouldn't be an "other side" in the Church, but there is. I try not to speak in terms of "us vs. them" because them is us...but I do.