Mass settings: from contemporary to in-between to ICEL chant
  • I am in search of a Mass setting which fits a particular need.

Currently, my parish uses a, shall we say, contemporary-Haas-esque-not-very-tasteful Mass setting. Within a year or so, the priest wants them to be singing the ICEL chant Mass (and from there, many wonderful musical improvements like the Propers, etc.).

HOWEVER.

To get to the ICEL chant Mass, we need an in-between step, a Mass setting that helps guide the parish, without shocking too many sensibilities (jumping right into ICEL would be not well received at the moment).

I confess I'm at a loss. I'm familiar with plenty of not-very-good contemporary Mass settings, and lots of chant Mass settings...but can't think of any Mass setting that help guide the parish as an "in-between" stage between the current mess and the future chant Mass.

I am open to your suggestions!
  • I would recommend Horst Buchholz's Mass of St. Francis. It is musically very well constructed, features a pleasing melody that combines the contemporary penchant for tune with the reverence and dignity befitting the mass and fine music in general. While it can be found in the Adoremus hymnal, he retained the copyright to himself. He is music director at the St. Louis Basilica.
    http://www.adoremus.org/BuchholzMassofStFrancis.pdf

You also might consider the two chant masses published by the Basilica of the National Shrine in D.C. While the music is unmetered plainsong, they are structured more like a piece of modern music than as an ancient chant.
    http://www.nationalshrine.com/site/c.osJRKVPBJnH/b.8642725/k.8D7E/Mass_Settings.htm
    Thanked by 1sergeantedward
  • matthewjmatthewj
    What if you just kept doing your current setting and inserted the Gloria from the ICEL chants... then once that seems normal, add the others.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Richard Clark's Mass of Saint John Paul II. It has chant qualities but has marvelous harmonies. Easy to sing but sounds really well.
    http://www.rjcceciliamusic.com/mass-settings/mass-in-honor-of-pope-saint-john-paul-ii/
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    My own Mass of the Blessed Fire is unaccompanied and vaguely chant-like, but based on Early American (Shaker) melodies, so they are much more accessible and familiar than modal chant.

http://shakermass.musicforsunday.com/
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Adam Wood's is nice. You could try Proulx's Missa Simplex (WLP and it's in the St. Michael Hymnal) which is chant-like but sounds major enough to use at most parishes in my opinion.
  • Adam,

Your Mass of the Trembling People link sort of fails to get things shaking...want to update?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Yes - it needs some attention.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    In my COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF TIME.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    You could try Proulx's Missa Simplex

Yes, that's a good one, as are several others from WLP.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Our diocese - and my current pastor in his role of director of the diocesan liturgy office - chose as one of its two settings, the Mass of St. Gregory the Great by Luke Mayernik (OCP). (Disclaimer: I actually know Mr. Mayernik from school, but this was chosen for the diocese before I even lived and worked - or even thought about living and working here.) We currently use it for the Gloria, Sanctus and Agnus Dei during Ordinary Time.

The Gloria takes the typical rollicking-6/8 Gloria model that most of us find distasteful and elevates it quite a bit musically. I'm not 100% convinced it will work long-term, but as a bridge to something else, I think it does well enough.

The Agnus Dei invocations are harmonized in a contemporary choral style reminiscent of someone like Eric Whitacre or Morten Lauridsen. Great if you've got the choir to pull them off a cappella, but still nice if accompanying solo or unison voices with organ.

The Sanctus, though, is the real gem. I'm not sure our interpretation of it is what Mr. Mayernik originally had in mind, but it is completely possible to fashion it to begin softly arising out of the preface (especially if the preface has been chanted) and slowly arc to the first "Hosanna," then drop back for the "Blessed is he" and finally rise - maybe slightly higher than before - for the final "Hosanna" before some harmonic elaboration under the final held note during which you can diminuendo back into the prayerfulness of the Canon. It's also just melismatic enough of a melody to introduce that concept in preparation for chant.

Like I said, I don't know that Mayernik thought about it that way, but any Sanctus that can do that - weave itself prayerfully in between the preface and Canon while still allowing for exuberance and the "Hosanna" (a la Durufle's two stunning examples) - will get my vote and be interpreted thusly by me.
  • Liam
    Richard Clark's is very well done. And works in a community that likes contemporary music.
  • During Advent, Missa Emmanuel works well. We used it as a bridge to the ICEL Ordinary, but I realize that's 3mo away, so perhaps it's not suitable for your situation.
  • BruceL
    We use Proulx M.S. as the catch-all for precisely the reason @irishtenor mentions.
  • lmassery
    I will third the Missa Simplex by Proulx - with full accompaniment it sounds 'regular' enough to trick everyone into singing chant without realizing it.
  • Gee. Thank you everybody! I'm going to sing and play through the whole lot here.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Mass in honor of Saint Ralph Sherwin
    http://www.ccwatershed.org/pdfs/entire-mass-st-ralph-sherwin/
    click "Download this Document"
    You get a PDF with lots of pages for various purposes.
    The Gloria is straight-forward and keeps things moving with one note per syllable.

Ignore the error message further down its webpage.
  • A treasure Trove of settings for the Third Edition of the Roman Missal can be found here:

33 Free Musical Settings, Rom. Miss. (3rd Ed.)

In particular, Michael Olbash's setting is not to be overlooked.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    The problem with in-between repertoire is that it's possible to get stuck there and never actually make the complete transition. That may be how we got to where we are today...
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    That may be how we got to where we are today...

Are you sure? I thought we had been driving down a one-way street the wrong way for a long time and only recently managed to get turned about.
  • soarmarcsoarmarc
    How do you know the ICEL chant setting would not be well-received right now?

In most cases, the average parishioner is not going to distinguish between what's chant and not chant or between what's metered and un-metered. Give them something sing-able, guide them through singing it, and I think you'll get positive results.

If you think a wholesale switch between Mass settings would be too drastic, perhaps try phasing in the ICEL chants, as matthewj suggested above.

Does you priest chant the dialogues? If not, it's probably best to start with those, e.g. the Preface dialogues, the Memorial Acclamation, and the Amen. It would be more natural to then introduce the chanted Sanctus and Agnus Dei, or even the Our Father.
  • Official Wet Blanket Warning

Before planning a "stepping stone" from schlock to chant, consider that you (or your parish) may get stuck wherever that stepping stone is. How many PIPs know only Missa de Angelis or the Jubilate Deo Mass?
  • SalieriSalieri
    [Accidentally posed on SSPX thread.]

I am wary of starting with something sooooooo simple like the Jubilate Deo Mass - my parish has been stuck using Mass XVIII every day for 20 years. You might say, that that's better the Mass of Creation, but let me tell you, Mass XVIII wears very thin after hearing it every day for 20 years.

When I've asked to add to the repertory of Mass chants the answer I get is that 'the people don't know them' - yeah, they don't know them because they don't do them.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    they don't know them because they don't do them

Yes! If you never do anything new...wait for it...you'll never do anything new!

I'm not suggesting constantly changing settings or trying to use 15 of them, but using the same one (whichever one it is) for years on end would indeed wear thin for just about everyone.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • SalieriSalieri
    I would perhaps suggest something like this as an example - time frames can be adjusted, etc., to suit needs of particular parish:

Year I: OT Autumn, Advent, Christmas & OT Winter:
    Kyrie: XVI
    Gloria: XV (OT)
    Gloria: VIII (X-mas: Missa de Angelis - very familiar)
    Sanctus: XVI
    Agnus: XVI

Year I: Lent:

Year I: Eastertide, Pentecost, Trinity and Corpus Christi:
    Kyrie: VIII (de Ang.)
    Gloria: VIII

Year I: OT Summer
    Gloria: XV

Year II: OT Autumn
    Kyrie: XI
    Gloria: XV

Year II: Advent
    Agnus: XVIII

Year II: Christmas Tide
    Kyrie: VIII

Year II: OT Winter
    cf: Year II: OT Autumn

Year II: Lent
    Sanctus: XVIII
    Agnus: XVIII

Year II: Eastertide:
    Kyrie: VIII
    Agnus: VIII

ETC. With the Goal of eventually learning Masses VIII, XI, XV, XVI, XVII, & XVIII. Many of these Masses are available in English settings (Columba Kelly, and others), as well as the original Latin.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    This kind of plan is very wise indeed. I would add that as you make changes to environment or music for the sake of a liturgical season, it is wise to make them in such a way that they will return in following years. If there is no discernible pattern to the changes, it may appear that you're changing things simply for the sake of change - particularly if it's a parish that is used to no changes at all.

I would also add that it might be nice to use the secular distinction (but quite well experienced - at least for Americans) of OT Fall (starting right after Labor Day) to introduce something new you're eyeing up for Christmas or Easter. Doing something brand new on Christmas or Easter will typically be a lousy experience for the congregation if they're accustomed to singing the ordinary.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • aria
    Does you priest chant the dialogues? If not, it's probably best to start with those, e.g. the Preface dialogues, the Memorial Acclamation, and the Amen. It would be more natural to then introduce the chanted Sanctus and Agnus Dei, or even the Our Father.

Agree 110% . If your priest is on board to move to chant in a year, he should be singing the dialogues now. It's very natural for the congregation to sing back b/c they know they have to reply and if Fr. just sang to them, they know their response should also be sung. From there, slowly replace the ordinaries, one at a time. Maybe start w/ the Our Father b/c most people know that one and aren't freaked out by it.

Also, I'm going to assume that your parish uses a 4-hymn sandwich and that the "hymns" chosen are cheesy songs, similar in style to the setting you currently use. If that's the case, start switching those out for solid, sacred hymns. This will go a long way to change the character of the Mass music even before (or contemporaneously with) your efforts to switch out the ordinaries.
  • Greetings, all.

With my Mass of the Mediatrix, I attempt to provide a setting that appeals to musical conservatives while being not too jarring a change for those now accustomed to the nearly ubiquitous contemporary settings out there. The parts set are the Kyrie, Gloria, Gospel Acclamation, Sanctus, Mystery of Faith, Great Amen, and Agnus Dei. I am distributing it free of charge for any parish or community that may wish to use it. Included on the distribution page are PDFs of the full score (landscape format), choral/vocal score, C instrument parts (I find violin particularly effective), and a pew card (8.5 x 14, two sided, folded). Also provided are computer-generated audio files (a sometimes necessary evil) that give a basic sense of the music.

http://www.poshea.com/scores/mediatrix.php

It is not based on chant per se, but it perhaps would steer a congregation in the direction of an aesthetic that would make that transition easier. The setting is meant to be "scalable," in that it can, in simplest form, be performed with just cantor and keyboard (organ preferred), cantor and a selection of harmony parts, and with or without the addition of one or two C instruments, as resources dictate. I have done this with two violins or one violin and one flute, and both combinations work pretty well. Also with key centers predominantly of D and A, the setting meshes well with the use of chant elsewhere, particularly Mode I and Mode II.

I welcome comments, and would love to know if people find the setting of use.

Best wishes,

Patrick O'Shea
    www.poshea.com
    poshea@smumn.edu
  • I should also mention that the full score and a link to the additional resources is available on the Corpus Christi Watershed site:

http://www.ccwatershed.org/Mass/

Patrick
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Dr. O'Shea's setting is still in our rotation out in California. I did a review of it which Jeff Tucker quoted at length in the 2012 post.

http://www.chantcafe.com/2011/09/mass-of-mediatrix-by-patrick-oshea.html

I also want to give a nod to our own Chuck Giffen's Missa Ascensiones, a portion of which we first "debuted" (Alleluia) at our schola/choral Mass yesterday. From our first choral rehearsal last week post-Summer, Chuck's Mass and JMO's "St. Isaac Jogues" were the clear favorites. One thing to remember when you're auditioning and evaluating settings- encourage and elicit the chorister's opinions not only from a choir perspective, but also how they think the congregation will respond.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen