Ave verbum incarnatum
  • I'm curious about this Gregorian chant hymn. Does anyone have a transcription or a score for this? 'the only thing I could find was a recording out there.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Ave verbum incarnatum is the second stanza of the Eucharistic hymn Ave Christe, immolate. Josquin des Prez composed a motet on this text that is quite beautiful. Here is the score from CPDL in an excellent edition by James Gibb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vy6EyqE6Gs

• CGM
    There's also a five-voice setting by Crecquillon (S-A-T-T-B)
    and a six-voice setting by Lupi (S-A-A/T-T-B-B).

The Lupi setting is especially beautiful.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I like the Crecquillon, too ... don't know the Lupi.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Here's a deeper CPDL link to the 'Josquin', now thought to be by Bauldewyen. It's always good to be reminded of Lupi, and Google startles with an unfinished setting by Eric Satie. It doesn't point to a chant, though!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Hmmm. Apparently CPDL doesn't process direct links to PDFs such as:

http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/images/3/3f/Ave_christe_immolate.pdf

(which is the direct link I gave in my post), but instead one is taken to the CPDL Main Page. This is not the behavior that CPDL previously exhibited. Sounds as if I need to give our IT group a heads-up on this.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • Our schola cantorum really likes this chant, but the clip from the book was too hard to read. Therefore:

name: AVE VERBUM INCARNATUM;

%%
    (c4)A(f)ve,(gf) Ver(g)bum(h) in(ixi)car(hvGF)na(g)tum(fe) (,) De(f)i(g) pro(hh)vi(fef)den(gh)ti(g)a.(f) (::)

2. A(f)ve,(gf) mun(g)do(h) pro(ixi)cre(hvGF)a(g)tum(fe) (,) Di(f)vi(g)na(hh) cle(fef)men(gh)ti(g)a.(f) (::)
    3. A(hh)ve,(f) Chri(e)stus,(f) De(g)us(h) ho(ixih)mo,(g) (,) Pa(h)nis,(gf) vi(e)ni(f) spe(g)ci(fe)e.(f) (::)

4. A(hh)ve,(f) pi(e)a(f) vi(g)va(h) ca(ixih)ro(g) (,) De(h) Ma(gf)ri(e)a(f) Vir(g)gi(fe)ne.(f) (::)
    5. Mi(ixi)ro(hg) mo(h)do(gf) qui(g) ve(hg)ni(f)sti(fe) (,) Et(g) sic(ixih) na(g)sci(f) vo(e)lu(f)i(gg)sti.(f) (::)

6. Om(ixi)nes(hg) sal(h)va,(gf) Cor(g)pus(hg) Chri(f)sti,(fe) (,) Quos(g) cru(ixih)o(g)re(f) red(e)e(f)mi(gg)sti.(f) (::)
    A(ixivHGhvGFghgffegivHGFef)men.(gf) (::)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • As a PDF
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen