From a member of a forum I run... (OHS convention in Syracuse)
  • I am quoting from an email I just received as a personal note from a list member organist:

A couple events happened at the OHS convention in Syracuse, which I thought might be of interest to you. On Monday, Aug 11, the opening recital was by Hector Olivera. The organ was a Aeolian/Holtkamp three manual. Response from the audience was modest at first but Hector, with his personality, won over the people and the response became very enthusiastic. He acknowledged that he often performs on electronic instruments. He was musical as usual. The OHS is no longer all tracker backers.

Second, Friday, Aug 15 was an optional day at the end of the convention. There was a 4:00 pm closing recital at St. Mary of the Assumption RC Church in Auburn. The church was organ was a two manual Carl Barckhoff organ from 1890. It was quite robust. There was also a one manual organ up front. The recital was well attended by parish members, which was a bit of a surprise. The recital by Jonathan Ryan was good and was received well.

Later, at 7:00 pm, about one bus full of us stayed for a patronal festival mass for the Assumption of the BVM, celebrated by the bishop of Rochester. I assume there's no guitars and drums at this church, which may seat about 600 by my guess. The evening mass, which was very well attended, had lots of fairly loud organ introductions and an opening and closing hymn in English, which the people sang well with strong leading by the rear organ and choir. Except for the homily in English, most of the rest of the mass was in Latin. The printed program had notation in chant format, which I'm not used to. It often alternated between one phrase sung by the schola and then a phrase sung by all. However, lots of people were singing the people's parts of the mass. Obviously the parish is used to the chanted Latin music. This mass was an eye opener for me, who is used to somewhat unenthusiastic singing and music at RC churches that I've visited from time to time.
  • chonakchonak
    [Thanks for the post, Noel. It's good to hear such news from the diocese of Rochester. I added to the title to make the topic clear. There's no reason not to! --admin]
  • BGP
    St. Mary's in Auburn is a center for Chant/organ in the context of the ordinary form. This is because it is a priority for their pastor Fr. Lioi, since he arrived there 5ish years ago. It was a priority at his previous parish as well, although it underwent a massive decline after his departure ..

Our new bishop, Bp. Matano is very much on board with this sort of thing.

It sort of shows how important having a pastor on board is, to actual success in Catholicizing the music program at a Catholic parish.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • SalieriSalieri
    It sort of shows how important having a pastor on board is, to actual success in Catholicising the music program at a Catholic parish.

To say nothing of the leadership of the Bishop.
  • BGP
    Salieri- Yes, and this is painfully clear in this Diocese. I'll leave it at that.
  • mediantmediant
    Thanks all for your kind comments! The day brought together a number of exciting elements:

Our patronal feast day, the Assumption of Mary
    The annual Memory Garden of Roses (about 2,000 fresh roses in the church given in memory or honor of a person)
    Our four-day parish Mission with Fr. Jordan Turano, OP
    The OHS Convention Recital with Jonathan Ryan, featuring our 9/I 1872 Garrett House chancel organ and our 29/II 1890 Carl Barckhoff gallery organ.

And lastly, the topic of the post, a Solemn Mass at 7:00pm with Bishop Salvatore Matano, two choirs, and two organs. Here was the program:

Flor Peeters Toccata, Fugue, and Hymn on Ave Maris Stella
    Signum Magnum (Gregorian)
    Processional Hymn: Behold in Heaven (english version of Signum Magnum) to tune St. Magnus with John Scott's Descant and Harmonization
    Missa De Angelis and Latin Ordinaries in alternatim between schola/chancel organ and choir/people/gallery organ
    Responsorial Psalm
    Congregational Alleluia with Gregorian Verse
    Credo III with Polyphonic insert for Et Incarnatus Est by Dominick DeCarlo
    Assumpta Est (Gregorian)
    Regina Caeli (Lotti)
    Ave Maria (Victoria)
    Beatam Me Dicent (Gregorian)
    Post Communion Hymn: Hail Holy Queen (Congregational with my descant)
    Ite Missa Est
    Recessional Gigout Grand Choeur Dialogue with both organs

All the ordinaries were accompanied in a full French style. Our parish usually sings the ICEL chants in English including Credo I in English) but we use Gregorian ordinaries for feast days. We strive to offer the best liturgy we can, without pretentions, nostalgia, or animosity, in a way that encourages our people to sing and participate actively. Our choir and schola are strictly volunteer organizations with members from the community.

Fr. Lioi should be commended for his support of excellent liturgical music at Saint Mary's. As any musician knows, the little details are very important and the support of a good pastor makes so much possible!

For any of you interested, Fr. Columba Kelly will be presenting at our Second Annual Gregorian Chant Gathering this coming Saturday, September 20. It's free and open to the public. The GCG is a day of free workshops on basic chanting, organ accompaniment, semiology, and a variety of other things. Jim Jordan unfortunately can't join us this year, but will nonetheless send a bunch of chant resources that will be available. I will be posting an invitation soon. I hope you can come!

Again, thanks all for the kind words!

Joel Morehouse
    (Music Director at Saint Mary's)