"Sacred Arias" - a legitimate form of sacred music?
  • hartleymartin
    I'm interested to know what the wisdom is on the Aria as a form of sacred music. I've been doing a few funerals and weddings where I've played organ for a soloist singer. The music has included:

Schubert "Ave Maria"
    Mozart "Ave Verum Corpus"
    "Holy Art Thou" (Ombra Mai Fu)
    Faure "Pie Jesu Domine"

I'm sure that other pieces are commonly arranged and performed for Organ and Solo singer such as the Franck "Panis Angelicus"

How legitimate is this style of music in the context of sacred liturgy?
  • francis
    I am sure you will get as many differing opinions as there are people that post.

Personally, I think it is just an excuse to perform, and is not really organic to liturgical (sacred) music. Although the text may be part of the Mass (antiphon, proper, etc.), the arrangements tend to be showy, schmaltzy and saccharine.
    Thanked by 2melofluent Adam Wood
  • BenBen
    I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of that style of piece, and I'm also not a fan of orchestral Masses, for the same reason.

Many of them are gorgeous pieces of music if you take them as music, but I'm not convinced they are very well suited toward the liturgy in the same way other pieces are, since they tend to become performance pieces more than liturgical actions, especially when considering the vocal lines. It often pushes the line into the operatic style that (if I'm not mistaken) Pope Pius X tried to push back against in his Motu Proprio.

I just really don't like orchestral Masses liturgically. There. I said it. Sue me.

(that being said, I'll take a Schubert Mass over anything by Haas ANY DAY)
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    Ben:

I totally agree on all counts. And yes, various popes have tried to steer musical style away from the operatic influence including PX. While the music of an orchestral mass can be beautiful and inspiring (I have composed them myself), I don't feel they are liturgy worthy works.
    Thanked by 1JaredOstermann
  • Schubert "Ave Maria"
    Faure "Pie Jesu Domine"

Manifestly, the Schubert belongs in many fora, but not at Mass.

I don't like Mozart's Ave Verum, but that dislike doesn't make it, by nature, unsuitable for Mass. Elgar's would pass muster, I think.

Since I don't know "Holy Art Thou", I have nothing to offer about it.

Faure's Pie Jesu would depend on several factors. Is the accompanying instrument orchestral, the organ, or the piano? Is it sung emotively (think "I have loved you with an everlasting love") or in a properly reflective manner? Could it be sung at a Requiem Mass?

Thanked by 1francis
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    "Holy Art Thou"
    This is a text set to the Handel "Largo" from his opera Serse (Xerxes). The text might be appropriate, but I have reservations about the music itself (and its origins) as being appropriate for a Requiem Mass.

Faure's Pie Jesu would depend on several factors. .... Could it be sung at a Requiem Mass?
    Faure's Pie Jesu Domine IS from his Requiem, and I've heard it sung at a Requiem Mass.

I've had to sing too many things at funerals (as a soloist/cantor) that I'd much rather not have sung, but those choices have not been mine to make.

• I agree in general, though I think distinctions of style and origin can be made.

Faure's Pie Jesu is stylistically worlds away from Handel's Ombra mai fu, for example. Unless it's sung poorly...
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • hartleymartin
    The Cantor I mostly work with has a background in Gregorian Chant and Renaissance polyphony, so she has a good sense about keeping her vocal style leaning more towards the sacred rather than the operatic. I use mostly my own arrangements which take their style more from the German chorale, using organ to accompany the voice. Perhaps I'll work on recording a few to see what people think.
  • Solos, just like organ music that draws attention to itself, work very well before Mass on special occasions. I can even see them being done on a regular basis.

They are more effective liturgically when the singer is not seen, nor amplified. The music should draw attention to itself and not be forced upon the body of listeners beyond the level of the average trained voice.

The Bach Toccata and Fugue in D Minor would be fine for a postlude.
    The Pachelbel Canon would be fine for a Prelude.

Due to their notoriety, both would be distracting during Mass - as would be the Ave Maria of Schubert - the Ave Maria would be suitable at a Wedding, and even a Wedding within a Mass since that is a time when two sacraments are being celebrated.

I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of that style of piece, and I'm also not a fan of orchestral Masses, for the same reason.
    Someday you will feel differently about this, it will just take awhile. Honestly.
  • GavinGavin
    Schubert "Ave Maria"
    Faure "Pie Jesu Domine"

Am I the only one who noticed these are each in different genres of music? It's impossible to say anything consistent about them as a group.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood BruceL
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It's impossible to say anything consistent about them as a group.

I can think of some things.
    Thanked by 2francis kenstb
  • This reminds me of that shocking practice of times past where a virtuoso singer would traipse out onto the very steps of the sanctuary during Mass and sing a showy solo psalm verse - its elaborateness surpassing that of any other sacred or secular music of the time.
    Thanked by 3Richard Mix Gavin Gavin
  • hartleymartin
    I suppose that it might have a lot to do as arrangements of music for Organist and Cantor. The Mozart Ave Verum Corpus, for example, was originally scored for SATB Choir, Strings and Organ. I've stripped it back to organ and cantor.

Where I work, the cantors are only in public view during the Responsorial Psalm, but in most cases I have them by the organ, usually in the gallery, as a matter of practicality. You cannot get a cantor down to the ambo during one reading and back up in time for the Alleluia on many Sundays as the readings are too short to make the trip!

One future project for me is to do "Sanctify Us By Thy Goodness" as organist + cantor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kFGTCw61nY
  • Kathy
    I don't really like the melody, but Ave Verum Corpus could be sung by congregations, with organ accompaniment. Same with Franck's Panis Angelicus (lowered).
  • francis
    kathy----?????????? congregations?
    Thanked by 2kenstb Gavin
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I could have sworn that I read some'eres that Wolfie wrote that for a convent school for young girls originally. Not that I want to look it up....

These sorts of threads always end up citing the usual suspects, as unfortunately, many DM's troop out their divas and devos for event Masses that'r gonna be on the TeeVee.
    Ask yerself, when's the last time you heard a coloratura warbling the Mozart "Alleluia" as a gospel acclamation? You likely haven't as it's inappropriateness is self-evident.

Seems to me that the employment of a sacred aria at service should be held to the highest of scrutinies for suitability for public worship. Same as we would do for a wholly chorally sung Mass setting of any era and style.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I don't know if I'd want to use the word "aria", which has definite operatic implications. "Song" might be better. there's a long tradition of these in the church. Of the examples given, the Schubert and Handel are contrafacta. There's a long tradition of that in the Church too, but the Schubert is a badly-done shoehorning of the prayer into a song written to Walter Scott's poem in translation. The Mozart is an arrangement, and better done chorally. I've no problems with the Faure, except that it no longer has a place in the liturgy, and the place it had is specifically connected to funerals (I have the same issue with the "ICEL/chant Sanctus")

The broader issue: I don't have an issue with the solo voice in church, as long as the music isn't ABOUT the solo voice. We have cantors for the Psalm, after all. There are some composers whose solo sacred vocal music would be intolerable in the Mass (I think of J. A. Hasse in particular). Most of the Viadana Concerti Ecclesiastici work well (but many just-slightly-later Baroque solo motets DON'T). There are many 19th c French things, some of which are tasteful, some not. Some oratorio arias work, some not.

Anything that HAS been done in church, and not subsequently forbidden, CAN be done in church. But note that that includes David Haas. Choose wisely.
  • ronkrisman
    Yes, psalmists sings verses of the psalms by themselves while everyone else sings an antiphon or refrain together. And cantors sing verses of non-psalms (such as Taizé ostinati that have superimposed verses) while everyone else sings the ostinato or another type of refrain together.

I do not believe the word "cantor" should ever be used for someone singing a solo apart from any participation by anyone else. The word to be used in such a case is soloist.
  • Beautifully made point. But, a niggling correction: psalmists sing verses and the folk sing the respond, not an antiphon. Responsorial and Antiphonal forms are quite distinct and should not be confused, though they often are. The respond is what is sung by all in response to the cantor's solo verses in responsorial psalmody and propers.
    An Antiphon is what is sung by groups A and B before and after these groups alternate the singing of verses.

Introit, Offertory, and Communion are processional-antiphonal forms.
    Gradual psalm, and Alleluya with its verse are meditative-responsorial forms.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ronkrisman
    the folk sing the respond, not an antiphon

MJO, I did not specify that a psalmist only sings the verses of responsorial psalms (and he/she does not), so "antiphon or refrain" would be correct, depending on whether the musical form in question is antiphonal or responsorial.

Perhaps my use of "refrain" is incorrect. If so, I'm fine with "response."

Sorry, but I do not believe "the respond" is found in any dictionary. It sounds like Orwellian Newspeak to me.
  • Surprising it is that a scholar of church music and hymnody finds 'respond' a strange 'Orwellian' locution! It is run across every day in chant lore, chant converse, and scholarly works about chant. A 'respond' is what is sung by all in responsorial psalmody, in which the psalm verses are sung by a cantor-soloist (or, at times, a choir). 'Refrain', while being a near ubiquitous and unfortunate signifer in poorly informed parlance, is an incorrect term for any item of chant-related literature. 'Refrains' are found in certain mediaeval and later verse-refrain song forms, such as carols, etc., but are not encountered in the Gregorian repertory of mass and office chants.

And, '...not... found in any dictionary'? Try Harvard, Oxford, Grove... and... the OED. Synonyms are 'response' or 'responsory'.
  • Liam
    "Respond" as a noun in this context is precious, nay, even a tad twee, for Roman Catholic American vernacular. Stick with response.
  • dad29
    Umnnhhh....let's work with defining the term 'sacred music' and go from there.

Not all music with "bible words" is 'sacred.' (Out of time, or I'd find the Pian definitions.)

Larger-scale 'orchestral' Masses are fine in their place--which is a larger-scale Mass (e.g., pontifical, or with lots of attendees.) As to funerals, I think "less is more" is the watchword. The current fashion of 'celebrating the life' of Joe Doakes is perverse.

• Good, then: call it a 'response'. 'Responsory' would be even better. But say 'goodbye' to 'refrain', nor call it an 'antiphon', which is something else. Now... if we could just educate our publishers of hymnals and missalettes... a hopeless task.

(I can't agree, though, that 'respond' is even remotely 'precious'! It seems to me rather bold and definitive, bearing the aura of authority, something that one would wish to sing with enthusiasmos and not miss out on.)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Jackson, perhaps it's a matter of simplicity, as in the interpretation of "respond" as a noun rather than a universal presumption as a verb. (Senior moment, Chuck, lucky I have no sense of self esteem ! )
  • Liam
    MJO

No, it's quite precious, maybe even effete. The opposite of gravitas.
  • L -

Oh, I can't agree!
    Gravitas, you've hit upon it!, is just the right modifier.
    There's nothing effete about it.
    Nothing at all.
    (If there were, I should never have used it!)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    ... the interpretation of "respond" as a noun rather than a universal presumption as a vowel.

Vowel? What sort of verb(iage) is that?
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood melofluent
  • hartleymartin
    Perhaps "Aria" isn't the right word to describe the music.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    "Sacred solo" might be more apt.
  • francis
    I would call it religious solo music.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • dad29
    Thanks, Francis. That's the correct terminology.

• hartleymartin
    My question still remains: Is it a legitimate style of sacred music?
  • dad29
    “Not all musical forms can be considered suitable for liturgical celebrations,” says Pope John Paul II in his Chirograph on sacred music (2003). He quotes Pope Paul VI: “If music — instrumental and vocal — does not possess at the same time the sense of prayer, dignity, and beauty, entry into the sphere of the sacred and the religious is [thereby] precluded.”

It is 'religious' music, similar to a choral voluntary. Thus the above text (found at CMAA's '10 questions' page) must be applied to determine its desirability at Mass.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • hartleymartin
    So I would have to seriously look at the choice of material and consider it to be like a motet or hymn where only one of the voices is being sung and the others are substituted by the organ. I might have to write new arrangements for some of this, or perhaps compose my own.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I could have sworn that I read some'eres that Wolfie wrote that for a convent school for young girls originally. Not that I want to look it up....
    This is very doubtful. Mozart composed his Ave verum corpus in June of 1791, about six months before his death, for his friend, Anton Stoll, a church musician (we would call him a music director) for the parish of Baden bei Wien. It was written for use in the celebration of the feast of Corpus Christi and probably had its first performance on that occasion in 1791. The autograph score indicates nothing about the work being intended for women's (or young girls') voices.

While the melody alone is certainly easy and singable as a solo, with accompaniment, to do so entirely distorts (or obliterates) the simple but effective choral techniques that Mozart employed. To sing it as a solo is pandering, either by the soloist who elects to do it or for the family that requests it. No amount of rearrangement can make it even close to the original (even my own SABar arrangement falls far short and was only done to fulfill a request).