Another favorite - organs and organ factories
  • PhatFlute
    Who is your favorite organ builder and where is your favorite organ? In a catholic place?
    Ph
  • PhatFlute
    Mine: Saint Joe Cathedral Hartford. Austin. Catholic.
  • PhatFlute
    Anyone? :(
  • Wurly @ Pizza-n-pipes. Pizza joint.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Wicks III/40 at St Mary's in Muncie.
  • CharlesW
    The Mother Church, The First Church of Christ, Scientist, Boston, Aeolian-Skinner, 233 ranks.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Christ Episcopal Cathedral, Indianapolois, IN ~ Taylor & Boody Opus 19 (1992), 37 stops:

Specification & link to photos
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Just as I haven't a favourite composer (they change by the day, week, or month) I couldn't possibly name one favourite orgelbauer. My short list of potential builders would include Mander, Noack, Marcussen, Aeolian-Skinner, Taylor & Boody, Rieger, Pasi, Fisk, Goulding & Wood, & cet.

(In addition to the Taylor & Boody mentioned by CHG above, there is a splendid one at St Meinrad's Archabbey. Getting to play it is reason enough in itself to go there for one of the many retreat offerings in addition to Fr Columba's chant weeks.)
  • Anyone interested in Goulding & Wood should pop by the shop while they're in Indy. The shop is only a handful of blocks from the hotel.
  • That would be fun: perhaps we could arrange a time with G&W for colloquium folks to stop by, so that they won't have people knocking on their door at various times during the week.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • BruceL
    I'd definitely be interested in this. I'm hoping to catch up with Dana Marsh at sometime, too, since he is a Hancock pupil as well and of course the Christ Church program (and the organs) is/are excellent.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Alternately we could do a signup sheet to make sure that a Colloquium-attendee shows up at G&W every hour on the hour.
  • PhatFlute
    NEW Favorite: ave Maria university, Marshall and Ogltree,

Ph
  • francis
    The Flentrop at Duke.

Ones that I 'owned' as a DM or organist:

The Roosevelt in the Basilica of the Assumption in Baltimore. 4 second reverb.
    http://www.andoverorgan.com/organs.rest.414.php

The Jardine tracker at Mount de Sales, Baltimore.

The Wilhelm tracker at St. Marks on the Hill in Baltimore.
    http://database.organsociety.org/photos/MD/Pikesville.StMark.1984KarlWilhel.20130216.112358.jpg

I haven't played it, but by the looks of it, I am sure it is stupendous, the Fritts in Columbus Ohio.

http://www.frittsorgan.com/opus_pages/galleries/opus_25/photo_gallery.html

In my town there is a five rank Andover tracker that is utterly intimate and extremely sensitive. You must be exact, or you will bumble around like an elephant running through trees.
  • BruceL
    Flentrop at Duke is a fantastic instrument...

...but certainly not the best one in that chapel! ;-)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Flentrop at Duke is a fantastic instrument...

...but certainly not the best one in that chapel! ;-)

Hmmmm, do you mean the Aeolian? ... or the Brombaugh? The latter is ideal for Renaissance and early Baroque music. The former is the last Aeolian built before the merger with Skinner, and it is ponderously massive with much "orchestral" variety.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • redsox1
    Woolsey Hall, Yale University-E.M. Skinner
    St. Sulpice, Paris-Cavaille-Coll
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe, LaCrosse, WI - Noack 3 manual
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • BruceL
    Aeolian, Charles. I like the Brombaugh, but the Aeolian is one of the greatest of its kind, especially when you consider the acoustical improvements.

I think the Flentrop comes across much better in person, for what it's worth.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    The Noack in LaCrosse is a beauty, one of the favorites I've heard. I have some recordings of it if anyone wants to hear it. PM me for them
  • CharlesW
    The Aeolian at Duke is a magnificent instrument. Hearing it in person is astounding.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • MatthewRoth
    St. Martin of Tours, Louisville, Farrand & Volley Romantic-style organ. It's a wonderful instrument just to hear (I am not an organist...).
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • SalieriSalieri
    The Beckerath at St. Joseph's Oratory, Montreal.
  • BruceL
    Salieri: if you like it, you'd like St. Paul's Cathedral in Pittsburgh better. They are basically "twin" von Beckeraths. Nicer room, bigger organ, sanctuary doesn't look like something out of a Halloween set. I never will forget how disappointed I was after climbing all those steps and seeing the interior of the Oratory!
  • kevinfkevinf
    @BruceL What? You do not like the Oratory. It has a certain "odd"feel to it.