I am confused.
  • PhatFlute
    What is the main purpose of musica sacra forum. Is it to ask questions or complain why someone is wrong. It gets on my nerves when people argue.

Lord's blessings, Jehovah's message, Yawheh's welcome, Gods great shalom.
    Phát
  • chonakchonak
    The personalities who use the forum do vary: some are very easygoing, while some are more exacting.

Well, if you've used any sort of Internet discussion forum, you've probably seen how there are always debates!

It's helpful to be patient and try to focus on the useful responses, while disregarding the rest.
    Thanked by 1mrcopper
  • BenBen
    It gets on my nerves when people argue.

With all due respect, perhaps an internet forum may not be the best place for you. The entire point of a forum is discussion (not a q & a list), and often, that discussion can turn into what some might consider arguing. That's just how a forum works.
    Thanked by 1barreltone
  • G
    What is the main purpose of musica sacra forum.
    I think it is just that -- to be a forum, where depending on the day, the topic and the people it might be discussion, argument, advice giving or chop busting.
    I think it also helps to get to know the players, Phat -- there are people with whom I will probably always disagree, or become annoyed, but I can skim over or even skip what they have to say.
    As long as threads don't devolve into ad homimen attacks or deliberate and outright lies or misinformation, it's all good.

For some of us, working with people who don't understand, or for people who don't care, it's main purpose may be to remind ourselves we're not alone...

(Save the Liturgy, save the World)
    Thanked by 2Ignoto barreltone
  • It gets on my nerves when people argue.
    That's the best part!

Commiseration. Especially given how passionate people are about liturgy; that can lead to a stressful job. Musicians encounter a lot of negativity regularly-- you can't please all the people all of the time, as the cliché goes.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • PhatFlute
    Well I am just wondering ; does the music sacra internet page think debates are ok? Maybe I am just missing this part.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The page doesn't think anything.

The individual people think all sorts of things.

I am a fan of debates, as long as everyone is friendly while ripping each other to shreds.
  • Kathy
    I'm a big fan of shreds.
    Thanked by 2francis CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    I'm also a big shed of fans. image
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Mark Husey
  • BruceL
    Like many Phat posts, I always find myself wondering...

"not sure if srs"
    Thanked by 3Gavin ryand Mark Husey
  • BenBen
    Well I am just wondering ; does the music sacra internet page think debates are ok?

Well, they are still happening, aren't they? Obviously, it is.

Seriously: you do realize that the whole point of an internet forum is to debate and discuss, right?
  • expeditus1
    fo·rum
    [ fáwrəm ]

1.place to express yourself: a medium in which the public may debate an issue or express opinions
    Thanked by 2Ben kenstb
  • Kathy
    Unless you're in Rome, in which case the Forum is the place to buy souvenirs, look at old stuff, stroll down the city street when it's closed off on Sundays and holidays, and hear old Paul Simon music played with guitars and panflutes.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    A funny thing happened on the way to the forum.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Kathy
    By the way, if I'm reading this photo right, just to the left of the domed church is an old Roman prison, where Sts. Peter and Paul are thought to have been held.

The church of St. Peter in Chains is maybe 1/2 to 3/4 mile away.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Discussing ideas on this forum is a great way to refine one's ideas and opinions and see if they're worth anything. Besides that, it's great mental exercise. Some of the recent debates I've been in remind me of my son's puppy socialization class. The puppies roll around and tussle, but there's rarely any teeth shown and sometimes there's a little yip and yap, but they're all friends at the end of the day.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    So... the Forum should be just threads like the "vote for your favorite musician" thread? Just voting and airing our opinions without any sort of discussion/argument? A question and then a series of replies that don't mention or reply to any of the other replies? I'm confused as to exactly what you think the forum should be like...

But in the case of vote for your favorite musician...
    I vote for BruceL as my favorite church musician.
    I've never met him or heard him play or anything...
    But I have this weird feeling we'll get along splendidly.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Kathy BruceL
  • GavinGavin
    I am musician and you can to.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The forum is a good place to be mean to people you like and nice to people you don't like.

WHICH IS WHY I AM ALWAYS VERY NICE TO BEN MR. YANKE.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Padster
    Good point. I mean, who DOES like Mr Yanke on here? He can start trouble in an empty house. He can also talk a glass eye to sleep.

Best wishes,
    Padster
  • Kathy
    Padster, when you speak nonsense on this forum you are supposed to make the font purple bold. Many thanks for your cooperation.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Padster
    Who said I was speaking nonsense?

Best wishes,
    Padster
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I suppose, as time passes, I ought to consider creating the purple/bold template for literally everything I post here, there and everywhere;-)
  • BenBen
    Hahahaha! This is too funny.
    Thanked by 2Kathy CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    Padster, you just are speaking nonsense. Rudely, too.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • SalieriSalieri
    Sounds like it's time for another etiquette/moderation thread.
  • Padster
    Kathy, have a sit down, love. It is just a bit of fun. I invite Ben to return fire in my direction.

Best wishes,
    Padster
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I would liken this forum as akin to a South American eco-system such as one would find in Columbia. You could traverse hundreds of miles, and progress through arid desert, snow-packed and jagged mountain ranges, idyllic grasslands, dense and impenatrable rain forests, swamps, waterfalls, muddy waters full of nasty creatures and white water rapids that exhilerate while challenging the very strongest of wills.
    And the natives are invariably very lovely people, even some of those who are doubtless part of the narco cartels. One just never knows.
  • Padster
    I am not part of the narco-cartels, I RUN the narco-cartels.

Want some nose talc?

Best wishes,
    Padster
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • G
    He can also talk a glass eye to sleep.
    Too funny, I shall steal this...

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)

One of many reasons people enjoy internet forums...
    Thanked by 2Kathy Gavin
  • eft94530eft94530
    PurpleBold=ON
    Where can I purchase the purple bold glasses?
    I think those would save a lot of time.
    Also I think Ben Yanke and Adam Wood are sock puppets.
    But I do not yet know who is controlling them because of the horse banana.
    PurpleBold=OFF

I think this is the second time I have posted an off-topic content-free comment.
    Thanked by 2Kathy G
  • donr
    jump in eft94530, the water is fine.
  • canadashcanadash
    Discussing ideas on this forum is a great way to refine one's ideas and opinions and see if they're worth anything. Besides that, it's great mental exercise. Some of the recent debates I've been in remind me of my son's puppy socialization class. The puppies roll around and tussle, but there's rarely any teeth shown and sometimes there's a little yip and yap, but they're all friends at the end of the day.

The only problem with this forum is that we can't all go out for a drink at the end of the day.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • The only problem with this forum is that we can't all go out for a drink at the end of the day.
    The sun never sets on the Forum.
  • francis
    CMAAHH!!!

I propose we initiate this town by town.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Also I think Ben Yanke and Adam Wood are sock puppets.

It's the smell, isn't it?
    Thanked by 2Kathy Mark Husey
  • kenstb
    You guys just won't behave.
  • francis
    Behave? What's the use!
  • PhatFlute
    Melofluent, thanks for sharing purple! My favorite colore!
  • CharlesW
    I behaved once. I didn't enjoy it.
    Thanked by 2ryand expeditus1
  • francis
    CharlesW 5:08PM Thanks
    I behaved once. I didn't enjoy it.

Then WHAT did you decide to do?
  • CharlesW
    Misbehave some more. LOL.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • BruceL
    Haha, just to bump matthewj's generous comment...

Another forum member (who happens to be someone I used to work with) visited my family in Birmingham last week. I played BWV 552 for voluntaries before and after Mass...I told him that I'm realizing I now have "teacher chops" (as we used to call them in school): you hear someone play and think, "He used to be able to play the organ really well!"

So, there I am...but thanks for the compliment! :) I do look forward to meeting many of you who are new to me at Indy this summer!

PS-Also, I may have to surrender my "Catholic card" after shamelessly programming Paul Halley's "Jesu, the very thought of thee" last weekend...a guilty pleasure piece if there ever was one!
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Hey, BruceL, I hardly think invoking Halley' name or music would invalidate your "Catholic" card. Paul's craft and ear and technical brilliance indicate his "catholic" soul, at least to me. We've performed some of his anthems and Mass ordinary movements out here on occasion.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • matthewjmatthewj
    They sang the Halley as a motet at my wedding. Quite glorious.