Adapting Byrd 3 Part Mass for an SATB choir
  • Matta
    Hello,

I am intending to teach this mass to an SATB choir but am not sure if what I am proposing is the best way to perform it. Since I am short in basses I was thinking of asking the altos to sing the bass line with the basses. Sopranos will sing the upper part and tenors the middle part.

Could anyone please advice on this?
  • SalieriSalieri
    If I remember correctly, it could be transposed up to accommodate Sop. Alt. Bar.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here's the Byrd Mass for Three Voices transposed up a major third for SABar voices from a 2004 edition by Sheila Crossey. It is a preliminary edition (I'm going to prepare my own performing edition before long), but it should certainly be usable right now.
  • donr
    Charles,
    Is the Kyrie not repeated in Byrd's Mass?
    I would like to do this Mass some day but fear my pastor will reject it.
    I got a little guff from others when I did a 9 fold Kyrie last Easter.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Except for transposition (actually it's only up a step from the Byrd original), the Kyrie is as Byrd wrote it. You can sing it however you want to, possibly repeating each phrase.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Ach, not again. Out of curiosity, why aren't you considering the 4-part Mass?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Matta
    Thanks everyone for your help and thanks CHGiffen for sending me the scores... @ Richard Mix - the reason being is that I do not have a good number of basses and I find the 3part mass easier...
  • donr
    We don't do it SATB because I have 3 Soprano, 2 Alto and Me (Baratone). So 4 Part anything is very difficult to pull off.
    We only use 4 part for the Seasonal Choir (Triduum & Midnight Mass).