Compline Hymn for the Holy Week
  • igneusigneus
    context: OF Divine Office, official Latin songbooks

In the Liber hymnarius (Solesmes 1983) I cannot find the proper Completory hymn for the Holy Week. The hymns on page 51 (for Lent) are explicitly prescribed for weeks I-V of Lent only and in the proper section of the Holy Week (58-66) there is no completory hymn.
    I suppose it's due to the editor's oversight. But maybe I'm wrong?
  • G
    Can you define "completory hymn"?
    TIA

I remember a few years ago making up Triduum Morning Prayer booklets for my parish, (I was trying to wean them off the so-called "Celebration" psalms and random hymns,) having trouble finding the public domain proper hymns, and I was told by someone that pre-VC II there were no hymns on those days, and that while they are allowed now there are no "official" ones.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Kathy
    I think it's Compline, G
  • In Fr Samuel Weber's "The Office of Compline" (Ignatius Press), he recommends the Lenten hymn "Christe qui splendor et dies", giving it a proper melody for Holy Week. I don't know what his authority for that would be.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Hymnus Ad Completorium
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Liturgia Horarum is more clear than the Liber Hymnarius.

According to Liturgia Horarum, there are two texts for Lent: Te lucis ante terminum for week I, III and V, and Christe, qui, splendor for the other weeks (per ceteras hebdomadas). The Liber Hymnarius, erroneously, assigns the latter text only to weeks II and IV.

Thanked by 2igneus CHGiffen
  • igneusigneus
    G: I'm sorry for mangling the name of the final prayer of the day, I really meant Compline. (I have already corrected the discussion title.)

In the EF, hours are sung without hymns only during the Triduum, not during the whole Holy Week.

smvanroode: Thanks. This seems to solve my issue.
  • G
    Thanks very much.
    This has been a very interesting discussion, since until at least May I attend carefully done liturgies only vicariously.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)