Is this really how it's done?
  • JPike1028
    I had the opportunity to go to my first High Mass this weekend with my young adult group. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience however I was curious if what I experienced is the norm. The Introit music covered all of the actions and prayers of the priest up until the Kyrie. This happened consistently where the music, which was overall very well done, covered nearly all of the priest's prayers and actions. I suppose I am curious if this is how a Missa Cantata normally works, or if it particular to this parish. I don't imagine I explained this very well, but hopefully someone can make sense of what I am asking.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    As far as from what I've studied, yes. The parts said in a low voice, except those of the Canon of the Mass are normally covered by music. Technically the texts of the ordinary and proper are said twice, once by the music, and again by the priest and servers. A lot of what happens overlaps.
    Thanked by 1JPike1028
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    Someone more immersed in the EF would better answer this question for you, but yes, that is typical.
    Thanked by 1JPike1028
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Yes, this is normal.

Also since it was Laetare Sunday the organist would be free to improvise or play a piece (an elevation perhaps) after the elevation of the Most Precious Blood, until the per ipsum.
    Thanked by 1JPike1028
  • JPike1028
    Alright, I was just curious.
  • BenBen
    Yes, this is how basically every EF High Mass happens.
  • Yes. This is exactly what happened at our Missa Cantata for Laetare Sunday. From a musician's point of view, it works like this:
    1. Prelude (if allowed by the season or class of the feast)
    2. Introit
    3. Kyrie
    4. Gloria (when allowed)
    * Now you get a break for the Collect and the Epistle
    5. Gradual
    6. Alleluia/Tract
    * Break for Gospel and Homily
    7. Credo

I'm not trying to outline the order of Mass so much as I'm trying to show what is done by the Schola with no stops in between. The only time I get to look at the Missal before the Offertory is for the Epistle and the Gospel.

This makes knowing the first half of Mass from memory very easy. I still use the order of Mass in my Missal for after Offertory, not so much for which Mass part comes next as for small responses between the congregation and the priest. We've been doing the EF faithfully every Sunday since the First Sunday of Advent, and it has been wonderful!
    Thanked by 1bkenney27