How is the Baptism of Children (outside of Mass) celebrated in your parish?
  • Due to Kathy's encouragement (Thanks, Kathy!), I start this new discussion as an expansion of the thread about musical acclamations for use at baptism. I wrote:
    A wider question would be whether or not music is even used during celebrations of baptism of children (outside of Mass) in most parishes. Does it take place in a semi-darkened church by a tired priest or deacon following the last Mass on Sunday afternoon without music, or is it celebrated well with music?

What happens in your parish? What should happen?!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Choirparts
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Thank you so much for posting this. I've been working on my budget for next year and knew I was forgetting something - having musicians at Baptisms should certainly be an item in my budget. I encourage others to do the same.
  • fcbfcb
    I have done only one baptism outside of Mass (on a Saturday morning) that included music, and this was because friends of the parents were involved in the parish music ministry. We sang an opening hymn, the responsorial psalm, the litany of the saints, and a concluding hymn. We didn't sing any of the acclamations proper to the rite, largely because our musicians didn't know any settings of them, since we don't normally sing these.

I remember that particular celebration fondly and wish that we could have music at all of the baptisms outside of Mass. We're a small parish and don't have a lot of resources, so paying musicians to lead music at Mass is not really an option. I suppose I could be a bit bolder and just lead the singing myself, but I'm not there yet.
  • At our parish, there is no music at baptisms outside of Mass.
  • CharlesW
    There are few baptisms outside of mass, and there is no music. In fact, I usually don't know they occurred unless someone happens to mention it later.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    For both of my children we followed the rite as specified. I had a cantor lead all the music a cappella and of course members of the choir were among the congregants.

There was a hymn as people gathered in the church. We (my wife and I with our child and the Godparents) were greeted at the doors of the church. We sang a psalm as we processed to the font (psalm 42). We sang the Alleluia before the Gospel, and a short acclamation following the baptism. At the conclusion we sang the Magnificat and there wasn't a dry eye in the house.

That is what I did for my own children. That was far from the norm at the parish. Most baptisms were celebrated by deacons following the last morning Mass. There was generally no music at all. One of the deacons wives played the organ, so she sometimes played prelude music and an opening hymn and perhaps the alleluia, but that was only for 1/4 of the baptisms because she volunteered to do so only when her husband was presiding. In general people gathered in the church--including the parents and infants and there was no greeting at the doors of the church and no procession. There was generally a lot of casual talking, cell phones going off etc. Most of the deacons would use their "stage time" to crack jokes and make people feel as comfortable and casual as possible. I suggested reforming (or more accurately restoring) the practice, but that suggestion was rejected outright.
  • Jani
    I haven't been notified a one time about an upcoming Sunday baptism, so as to plan music for it. Sometimes there are baptisms on Saturday afternoons, and as CharlesW mentioned, sometimes we hear about them later.
  • canadashcanadash
    We have many baptisms at our parish - at least a dozen a month. There is no music.
  • I would like to share here my own experience when my daughter was baptized in Spain. The celebration was outside a Mass but the lights of the church were on (although the light in a sunny summer day in Valencia is wonderful!) and we didn’t have music during the rite but at the end. We ask the deacon to sing a hymn during the rite of the presentation to Mary and it was beautiful! Here in the States I have never played in a Baptism and it seems like having music on it is rather very unusual.
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    I think I started a thread about Baptism music here a few months ago. We have music at all Baptisms. Music is largely inherited from my predecessors, but have slowly been making changes. Previously, our line up was:

Opening Hymn: Gather Your People
    Psalm: Psalm 27 (Soper)
    Acclamation: Celtic
    Litany: Becker

All accompanied on piano.
    No one sang a darn thing. I have since attempted experimenting a bit.... We are now using:

Hymn: Gather Your People
    Psalm: Psalm 27 (Soper)
    Acclamation: Gregorian, Mode 6 (Unaccompanied)
    Litany: English Chant (Unaccompanied)

Magically, although they still don't sing the hymn or psalm schmaltz, they REALLY sing the chants. Absolutely amazing! Working on changing the other two now, too!

I think my parish needs to review the rite, though, because I don't think it calls for a Responsorial Psalm. We do one reading, psalm, acclamation, gospel as at feria Masses, but I'm certain that's not correct. I've brought it up toothed Pastor and Dir. of Liturgy for review.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Nope, Deo gratias.
    My personnel cupboard is threadbare (see what I did there, Adam?) with 4 parishes, 18 Masses. Music @ baptisms, 51-50 me ASAP!
  • fcbfcb
    I'm pretty sure a responsorial psalm is allowed but not required. See Ch. 7 of the Rite of Infant Baptism, which lists psalms 23, 27, and 34.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    see what I did there, Adam?

i don't
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Mixed metaphor, evidence of an exhausted mind! ;-)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Generally, "I see what you did there" is used as an acknowledgement of someone's cleverity, especially when that cleverity is expressed in the form of a non-obvious pun.